Mac or Windows

Next year im about to start a computer science degree, would you recommend a Mac or Windows and Why?

Whichever you prefer to use. Both are good for CS. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, ArnieCarnie said:

Next year im about to start a computer science degree, would you recommend a Mac or Windows and Why?

I would recommend windows because macs are good for specific uses, and if you have to ask the question, then you probably won't benefit from the higher priced macs. 

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

Just now, Xanthe_2871 said:

I would recommend windows because macs are good for specific uses, and if you have to ask the question, then you probably won't benefit from the higher priced macs. 

Mac's aren't really any more expensive than any other ultrabook. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2nd year computer engineering student here. I have a PC and get along fine, however if I had to do it again I would get a Mac, especially if the new ones are any good.

A couple of the classes at my university require a Unix environment. For a PC user this involves dual booting or installing a buggy VM image from the professor. The mac students can do everything right from the command line. It is also incredibly easy for them to install a VM with windows on it, basically removing the downside.

If you want a PC over a mac because of different hardware specs or price then that's a no brainer. But if you're really stuck I'd take a good look at the possible courses you might take and see if they require unix, if so you would be very happy with a mac.

personal preference, mac, windows or even linux is all fine. Only relevant if you need software that is only available for one.
However, if you want both, installing windows on a mac is easier than installing MacOS on a pc

I make Rainmeter things and other art :D

1 minute ago, Evil Genius Jr. said:

2nd year computer engineering student here. I have a PC and get along fine, however if I had to do it again I would get a Mac, especially if the new ones are any good.

A couple of the classes at my university require a Unix environment. For a PC user this involves dual booting or installing a buggy VM image from the professor. The mac students can do everything right from the command line. It is also incredibly easy for them to install a VM with windows on it, basically removing the downside.

If you want a PC over a mac because of different hardware specs or price then that's a no brainer. But if you're really stuck I'd take a good look at the possible courses you might take and see if they require unix, if so you would be very happy with a mac.

FWIW, I'm also a CS student and I do a lot of my work in a Linux VM provided by the courses/school and I never had any buggyness issues (although, I also do a decent bit of work through command line when I have a non-local VM -- i.e. the school provides a physical VM that I can SSH into). Depending on how the code is graded/ran, it's a good idea to develop in the same environment that it will be tested in.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

Mac's aren't really any more expensive than any other ultrabook. 

That's true. While high end windows machines do match macs in price, there aren't really 'cheap' macs like there are cheap windows machines. He is a college student, after all. O.o

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

Just now, Xanthe_2871 said:

That's true. While high end windows machines do match macs in price, there aren't really 'cheap' macs like there are cheap windows machines. He is a college student, after all. O.o

Yes, but someone who is considering spending $1000+ on a Mac will also probably be looking at similarly priced windows computers. (plus cheap windows computers are miserable to use)

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

Yes, but someone who is considering spending $1000+ on a Mac will also probably be looking at similarly priced windows computers. (plus cheap windows computers are miserable to use)

cheap ones (300-500) are miserable but there are decent windows laptops in the 6-800 area. And that's still a few hundred bucks cheaper than a mac

Personally, I would recommend Linux, so Windows.  Unless you are going to get into app development and need Xcode, Microsoft has really good tools at your disposal like Visual Studio Community, Microsoft Academy is great because it gives you a bunch of resources for a bunch of Microsoft products, tools and services like c#, ASP.net, Powershell, SQL Server etc. 

Linux is probably the best though because it's free (as in free fries) and you have access to way more open and free tools and resources, it's a better programming environment and it's also easier to write tools for in my opinion because you've got so many libraries, languages and free software already on there, you can access or do anything which makes writing software that interacts with the OS, Kernel easier and also gives you exposure to the fantastic Linux and free software community which I would totally work for. 

1 minute ago, Mike_The_B0ss said:

Personally, I would recommend Linux, so Windows.  Unless you are going to get into app development and need Xcode, Microsoft has really good tools at your disposal like Visual Studio Community, Microsoft Academy is great because it gives you a bunch of resources for a bunch of Microsoft products, tools and services like c#, ASP.net, Powershell, SQL Server etc. 

Linux is probably the best though because it's free (as in free fries) and you have access to way more open and free tools and resources, it's a better programming environment and it's also easier to write tools for in my opinion because you've got so many libraries, languages and free software already on there, you can access or do anything which makes writing software that interacts with the OS, Kernel easier and also gives you exposure to the fantastic Linux and free software community which I would totally work for. 

You do realize OS X is far more like Linux than Windows is....right? 

Plus, he likely won't need Visual studio or SQL Server (if he takes a databases course it will probably use MySQL). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

I'd say go for a Mac if you can, and then boot camp windows onto it. In the tos for apple, you're not "allowed" to download MacOS onto a non-Mac product.

"Better to be bad at video games than mad at video games" - BadAtVideogamesMan

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

You do realize OS X is far more like Linux than Windows is....right? 

Plus, he likely won't need Visual studio or SQL Server (if he takes a databases course it will probably use MySQL). 

Oh, I know OSX is far more like Linux.  It's based on BSD is it not?  Unix-based? 

But in my opinion why should you get a mac and be in a Unix environment that is restricted when you could be in a Unix environment that isn't restricted. There is so much more to explore and do on Linux than there is on Windows and OSX.  Buying something like the Dell XPS 13 Ubuntu edition would be far better (in my opinion) than buying a Mac or Windows laptop.  The biggest reason for Windows over a Mac is that on Windows there are more open and free software available for it, and better IDEs.  Sure, you can argue that you can use Xcode, Xamarin or Ecplise on OSX, but Visual Studio (in my opinion) far out performs those.  (c++ or c# or ASP.net) 

And with Microsoft Virtual Academy behind that.  You've got a powerful FREE learning resource for anything you might run into while on Windows. 

2 minutes ago, DogeOfTech said:

I'd say go for a Mac if you can, and then boot camp windows onto it. In the tos for apple, you're not "allowed" to download MacOS onto a non-Mac product.

And can be a real pain on a laptop.
(I use a hackbook as a daily laptop for school, and it's awesome, but I wouldn't recommend it)

15 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I would beg to differ, my 350USD laptop (with an added 256GB SSD) is one of the better laptop I've used after 2 full years of CS and I've gone through 2 other 500USD - 600USD 2 in 1 that barely was able to compile simple code in C++ and had much lower spec then my current one. 

26 minutes ago, Evil Genius Jr. said:

http://www.howtogeek.com/265900/everything-you-can-do-with-windows-10s-new-bash-shell/

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Windows, you will save money and will be able to do more. Easier to make programs for windows vs mac in my opinion. 

2 minutes ago, CookieMaster said:

Windows, you will save money and will be able to do more. Easier to make programs for windows vs mac in my opinion. 

depends on the programs, it's easier to make mac programs on mac

24 minutes ago, itsmyjobtoknow said:

I would beg to differ, my 350USD laptop (with an added 256GB SSD) is one of the better laptop I've used after 2 full years of CS and I've gone through 2 other 500USD - 600USD 2 in 1 that barely was able to compile simple code in C++ and had much lower spec then my current one. 

So you're saying that the third POS you got was better than the first two overpriced PsOS?

You can compile a simple C++ program on a literal potato. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

So you're saying that the third POS you got was better than the first two overpriced PsOS?

You can compile a simple C++ program on a literal potato. 

My third "PoS" was a Broadwell i3 with a 1080p display. It was more powerful and cheaper then the first two PoS that were more expensive and had an Intel Atom processor. Dual core and Quad-core respectively. 

Mind you, at the time (2 years ago) most 2 in 1 were PoS, but were bloody useful when you had a presentation.

And yes, I could compile C++ on a potato, but it would be slow at it.

33 minutes ago, Mike_The_B0ss said:

Buying something like the Dell XPS 13 Ubuntu edition would be far better (in my opinion) than buying a Mac or Windows laptop.

Stole the words right out of my mouth

54 minutes ago, ArnieCarnie said:

Um Linux > Mac > Windows in that order for me. Linux you're going to have to be willing to always tinker. One of my engineering friends gave up on Linux after every update on his custom version broke his multi monitor setup and he just got frustrated and went with a Mac. Like everyone mentioned above, Macs are expensive. Linux has tons of software incompatibilities with programs and while running VMs are great on Linux, it's still annoying. You'll probably want to consult the school to see what environment you'll be developing in and find out which is more suitable. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

Get a PC then make it a hackintosh.:) like a pro.

Mac is Linux with a pretty facelift.