6700k or 7700k

i am about to get the i7 6700k in 2 weeks, and i came across the i7 7700k benchmarks along with the news that motherboard manufacturers have release kaby lake bios updates. The news is kaby lake will be coming out in q1 2017, my issue is should i wait for kaby lake? I understand there wont be that much of an improvement, and specifically in games i wont notice anything at all. Its just that if im going be paying for an i7, would the few months wait be worth it?

I am just looking for some input and opinions you guys have on this.

thanks in advance for any suggestions and advice!

Its probably not worth it. Performance difference will be small and it will probably be more expensive to begin. I would only wait if you really need the extra clock speed for CPU intensive tasks. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

Just now, rn8686 said:

Its probably not worth it. Performance difference will be small and it will probably be more expensive to begin. I would only wait if you really need the extra clock speed for CPU intensive tasks. 

ye im definitely not going to be doing anything cpu intensive besides some occasional video editing, but mostly gaming. I feel like the longer i wait something just keeps coming out and ill be stuck in this never ending loop of waiting for something 

1 minute ago, DunePilot said:

If you want 3D X Point or want the extra clocks then yes, if not then no. If you are patient then yes, if not then no.

i dont really know what 3d x is, so definitely no LOL. i will be overclocking my 6700k anyways. Also i do have the patients though  

7 minutes ago, bakwan said:

i am about to get the i7 6700k in 2 weeks, and i came across the i7 7700k benchmarks along with the news that motherboard manufacturers have release kaby lake bios updates. The news is kaby lake will be coming out in q1 2017, my issue is should i wait for kaby lake? I understand there wont be that much of an improvement, and specifically in games i wont notice anything at all. Its just that if im going be paying for an i7, would the few months wait be worth it?

I am just looking for some input and opinions you guys have on this.

thanks in advance for any suggestions and advice!

IF your on the fence about the GPU I would wait till Black friday in about a month. Usually you can get great deals on CPUs 

Even older cpus like the 4790k are still a monster of a cpu and good even in high end pcs. New CPUs arent as important as they were in the past so i would just stick with 6700k.

Even my 4790k will be enough for quite some years. I probably sell my pc before i upgrade my pc and buy a new one.

Other than availability it won't be much extra cost wise, you'll just be waiting another 2-3 months. 3D X Point is new storage tech but it will be incredibly expensive more than likely in the first iterations to hit the market but the support of the tech is one of the selling points of Kaby.

Just now, ELSknutson said:

IF your on the fence about the GPU I would wait till Black friday in about a month. Usually you can get great deals on CPUs 

ye i have all my parts, just waiting for bf and cybermonday for 6700k, any good z170 mobo and ddr4 ram

I would wait until Kaby lake comes out and then buy the 6700K so the price goes down. unless the price drops enough on black friday.

4 minutes ago, bakwan said:

ill be stuck in this never ending loop of waiting for something 

yup lol. I built reight before pascal came out but I didn't wanna wait. I ended up upgrading anyways

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

1 minute ago, Cereal5 said:

I would wait until Kaby lake comes out and then buy the 6700K so the price goes down. unless the price drops enough on black friday.

yup lol. I built reight before pascal came out but I didn't wanna wait. I ended up upgrading anyways

ye, i think thats what ill end up doing. In the few months i would be waiting  for 7700k, i would have a 6700k and gaming on my rig. So i guess that what ill do, just get my self the 6700k and finish it at that.

What about getting a 6600k or a slightly lower processor to last you a few months then upgrade?  Q1 could be January 1st or it could be March 31st.  That's a large window and could be a long time to wait, especially if you already have some components for the build that will only depreciate in value before then.  You will take less of a hit selling a 6600k than you will a 6700k when it comes time to upgrade.

12 minutes ago, JettaGetUpandGo said:

What about getting a 6600k or a slightly lower processor to last you a few months then upgrade?  Q1 could be January 1st or it could be March 31st.  That's a large window and could be a long time to wait, especially if you already have some components for the build that will only depreciate in value before then.  You will take less of a hit selling a 6600k than you will a 6700k when it comes time to upgrade.

ye that does make sense, but i have been waiting for awhile now and ive decided to just go 6700k. Dont want to wait anymore, and probably wont upgrade for along time

37 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

Even older cpus like the 4790k are still a monster of a cpu and good even in high end pcs. New CPUs arent as important as they were in the past so i would just stick with 6700k.

Even my 4790k will be enough for quite some years. I probably sell my pc before i upgrade my pc and buy a new one.

This, ive already been through a 280x vapour X, a 970, 970 SLI and now onto 1080gtx and still the 4790k storms on

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

There is no performance difference between the 6700K and the 7700K other than from a slightly increased clock speed. IPC has not increased with Kaby Lake so I wouldn't bother waiting. Both are overclockable so clock speed doesn't make a difference tbh.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

The 6700k is a beast CPU and will last you Years. The 7700k has a 200mhz higher clockspeed, nothing you would realy notice.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO