48 hours to learn Python

IAmAndre

Hi,

I've applied for a new job and Python skills are required. I'm already working as a programmer for another company, but I'm not comfortable with Python. I've only used it once actually. However I'm very comfortable with many other programming languages such as Java, C++, PHP or JavaScript so it shouldn't be that hard to learn Python. I have less than 48 hours before the test, do you think it's doable? I can learn again the syntaxes quickly, but now I'd like to know what libraries/chapters I should focus on. Again I only have a few hours to focus on this (when I come home after a day of work).

Thanks

PS: This is a data analyst position so programming will probably not be the main focus.

The real question is why are you applying for positions you're not qualified for?

Did you mention in your resume that you don't know Python? If so then you won't have to worry about it as they won't call you for an interview if it's required lol.

5 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

Hi,

I've applied for a new job and Python skills are required. I'm already working as a programmer for another company, but I'm not comfortable with Python. I've only used it once actually. However I'm very comfortable with many other programming languages such as Java, C++, PHP or JavaScript so it shouldn't be that hard to learn Python. I have less than 48 hours before the test, do you think it's doable? I can learn again the syntaxes quickly, but now I'd like to know what libraries/chapters I should focus on. Again I only have a few hours to focus on this (when I come home after a day of work).

Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6gx4Cwl9DGAcbMi1sH6oAMk4JHw91mC_

Edited by KOMTechAndGaming
better youtube link

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

3 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

The real question is why are you applying for positions you're not qualified for?

Did you mention in your resume that you don't know Python? If so then you won't have to worry about it as they won't call you for an interview if it's required lol.

If you are a programmer then you probably know that learning a new language isn't an issue.

Just now, IAmAndre said:

If you are a programmer then you probably know that learning a new language isn't an issue.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6gx4Cwl9DGAcbMi1sH6oAMk4JHw91mC_

this should help

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

11 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

You often have to "lie" in order to get a decent job

yeah, it should be do able to learn the basics of Python in 2 days if you know some other object oriented programming language (which you do)

15 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

If you have never failed and never challenged yourself, you haven't tried hard enough.

Some workplaces are willing to hire a beginner in a language if they know he/she can learn the language they use quickly.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

15 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

It shouldn't be hard. I've used Visual Basic, so learning Java wasn't too hard. Then I learned C++ relatively quickly. The structure of OOP is the same, it's just different syntax.

Unless they ask you specifics about Python (which I've never used), then you should be ok. However, I'm going to school for software engineering, and my brother is a software developer. My professor and brother both say that many jobs will ask you to write on a piece of paper how you would create a certain method to examine your basic language scripting skillz. So be aware of that.

Good luck. It's always fun to learn a new language.

22 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

Never tell yourself your not qualified. Let the prospective employer do that for you. Interview experience is always good to have in your toolbox of life.

And sometimes, they will take you if you're good enough with a similar language. Some people can learn pretty quick.

But great point! As long as you don't lie and say your Python skills are exceptional or that you've had experience in a language you don't really know know, you should be fine. They see something they like. Maybe you know how to write a resume and the competition didn't do so well on paper?

14 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

It shouldn't be hard. I've used Visual Basic, so learning Java wasn't too hard. Then I learned C++ relatively quickly. The structure of OOP is the same, it's just different syntax.

Unless they ask you specifics about Python (which I've never used), then you should be ok. However, I'm going to school for software engineering, and my brother is a software developer. My professor and brother both say that many jobs will ask you to write on a piece of paper how you would create a certain method to examine your basic language scripting skillz. So be aware of that.

Good luck. It's always fun to learn a new language.

Never tell yourself your not qualified. Let the prospective employer do that for you. Interview experience is always good to have in your toolbox of life.

And sometimes, they will take you if you're good enough with a similar language. Some people can learn pretty quick.

But great point! As long as you don't lie and say your Python skills are exceptional or that you've had experience in a language you don't really know know, you should be fine. They see something they like. Maybe you know how to write a resume and the competition didn't do so well on paper?

Thanks. I didn't know about the code on paper. However this is an online test from home so I guess Google will have my back. I also think they will insist on the data analyst thing but since I'm a programmer I want to make sure I have the best score in all programming aspects.

15 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

No idea! I guess I'll learn the latest version.

Code is python 2 which a lot of stuff stuff uses. python 3 only has a few changes like

print "this is python 2"
print("this is python 3")

What i like about python is that strings are seen as arrays so

str = "hello"
print(str[:1])
#this will print 'h'
print(str[0:3])
#this will print hel

string slicing is an awesome thing.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

40 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

No idea! I guess I'll learn the latest version.

I guess now would be a good time for the WAN show sponsor segment??? Lyyyyyynnnnnndddddaaaa.com. That's right kids, Lynda.com blah, blah. But seriously, Lynda.com is a great resource. Bunch of videos and tutorials to teach you.

Gosh, thanks Linus! www.lynda.com/wanshow

1 hour ago, The Belgian Waffle said:

You often have to "lie" in order to get a decent job

Geez, where are you from? Usually around here, as soon as they find out you lie about a minor thing, they don't trust you, and fire you immediately. They know what they want, sooner or later they are going to find out you lied.

To OP:

Codecademy is great, Lynda.com tutorial is definitely recommended, since I started working in IT I have picked up skills like mad from courses, although I don't do programming. Lynda is very focused, you know exactly what you are going to learn with little to no "small talk" in the videos.

I have also tried Pluralsight, basically Lynda but not Lynda. Give it a shot, again, it doesn't hurt to get a free trial.

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

I see that a bunch of people have linked beginner tutorials (mostly video/interactive stuff). While they are normally not a bad way to go, you're also not a beginner and I think they may be a little slow for your current needs. You can probably skim through written stuff faster, especially for picking up the basics (syntax and some commonly used libraries). Things like this

• Learnxinyminutes (python 3) gives a quick overview of the syntax although it's not very organized (python 2 here).
  • You can google for "Python 2 cheat sheet" or "Python 3 cheat sheet" and look through those for quick overviews and references.
  • You can look though a pocket reference like this (this specific book has both python 2 and 3)
  • The Python documentation is also always useful

In terms of data science stuff, I don't know if I can help much there as it's not an area I'm very familiar with. I believe it commonly uses the scipy packages but you might want to double check in case I'm wrong. There seem to be a fair number of data science courses in python that you could check out (google "data science in python").

6 hours ago, madknight3 said:

I see that a bunch of people have linked beginner tutorials (mostly video/interactive stuff). While they are normally not a bad way to go, you're also not a beginner and I think they may be a little slow for your current needs. You can probably skim through written stuff faster, especially for picking up the basics (syntax and some commonly used libraries). Things like this

• Learnxinyminutes (python 3) gives a quick overview of the syntax although it's not very organized (python 2 here).
  • You can google for "Python 2 cheat sheet" or "Python 3 cheat sheet" and look through those for quick overviews and references.
  • You can look though a pocket reference like this (this specific book has both python 2 and 3)
  • The Python documentation is also always useful

In terms of data science stuff, I don't know if I can help much there as it's not an area I'm very familiar with. I believe it commonly uses the scipy packages but you might want to double check in case I'm wrong. There seem to be a fair number of data science courses in python that you could check out (google "data science in python").

Thank you, that's by far the most informative post so far :)

17 hours ago, IAmAndre said:

Hi,

Thanks

PS: This is a data analyst position so programming will probably not be the main focus.

Python in 48 hours for an experienced OOP developer? That's totally doable. Study the syntax, write a few things, maybe solve a few project euler problems. Python is different, but there is a reason that it's a popular first language: It's easy.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

10 hours ago, IAmAndre said:

Thank you, that's by far the most informative post so far :)

for science stuff you will want to look at numpy.

http://www.numpy.org/

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´