Hey guys,

I just got the final parts posted to my house for my very first PC build. I see in a lot of Linus's videos that it's worthwhile to power everything up outside the case before mounting it all to ensure the hardware works. I'd like to know if there's anything specific I need for putting it together, and if there's any particular order I should be doing things in (Cable management, mounting storage, fans and PSUs and watnot).
Some tips and advice would be greatly appreciated.

I've never put a PC together before. I've had a fiddle around with old ones but that's often just taking the side panels off and looking at everything to see where things go. Also, I had already installed the mobo inside the case before I realised it was a good idea to test the system first, and I managed to get the 24-pin connecter from the PSU to the mobo STUCK and I can't unclip it. Pls gibe halp.

Look how they do it in videos. Thats about as good way as any other. When you gain personal experience, you make some personal preferences. First boot before installing into case is good step. But if you want to skip that, don't get too comfortable with cable management before you have OS installed and have done some stress testing. You might need to fix fan connectors, cooler, GPU, drives etc. at any point of first few days. Or first 2 weeks as happened to friends build with blown GPU.

Have a clean, open space with good lighting when building. Sitting at kitchen desk is best. Use boxes to keep all parts and screws in order while building. Read manuals before doing anything you aren't absolutely sure about. Or before asking help from forums. Manuals are there for a reason. Take your time. You aren't in hurry when you build for yourself. Or when you build first full thing.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Look how they do it in videos. Thats about as good way as any other. When you gain personal experience, you make some personal preferences. First boot before installing into case is good step. But if you want to skip that, don't get too comfortable with cable management before you have OS installed and have done some stress testing. You might need to fix fan connectors, cooler, GPU, drives etc. at any point of first few days. Or first 2 weeks as happened to friends build with blown GPU.

Have a clean, open space with good lighting when building. Sitting at kitchen desk is best. Use boxes to keep all parts and screws in order while building. Read manuals before doing anything you aren't absolutely sure about. Or before asking help from forums. Manuals are there for a reason. Take your time. You aren't in hurry when you build for yourself. Or when you build first full thing.

Ok, check to most of those. I kind of missed this small note in the PSU manual that mentioned I had to disconnect the 4-pin split from the 20-pin power connected, so now the whole thing's stuck in the motherboard and I can't get it out. I tried wiggling it, pulling it straight out, but I managed to lock it in place and I can't move it at all.

6 minutes ago, Snappy said:

Ok, check to most of those. I kind of missed this small note in the PSU manual that mentioned I had to disconnect the 4-pin split from the 20-pin power connected, so now the whole thing's stuck in the motherboard and I can't get it out. I tried wiggling it, pulling it straight out, but I managed to lock it in place and I can't move it at all.

Normally most mobos these days require the full 24 pins, and they do stick in very tightly.

7 minutes ago, daniielrp said:

Normally most mobos these days require the full 24 pins, and they do stick in very tightly.

I read the PSU instruction manual and it specifically told me that the split 4-pin shouldn't plug into the panel. And seeing as it feels like the whole thing is now glued in, I wouldn't be surprised if that were true.

25 minutes ago, Snappy said:

I read the PSU instruction manual and it specifically told me that the split 4-pin shouldn't plug into the panel. And seeing as it feels like the whole thing is now glued in, I wouldn't be surprised if that were true.

Hhhmm strange I can't see why you'd need to split it unless the mobo only used the 20pin

39 minutes ago, Snappy said:

They can be tough ones. Use pliers for latch on one hand if you can't squeeze with fingers. And use flat headed screwdriver on another to lift connector. It will be painful to do but those connectors are hard plastic. Just make sure you don't cut wire or slash anywhere on mobo.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

34 minutes ago, daniielrp said:

Hhhmm strange I can't see why you'd need to split it unless the mobo only used the 20pin

I'm not 100% sure. The manual seems to be badly translated from a Chinese company (no surprises there) and the illustrations are kind of hard to make out. But the page for connecting the 24-pin connector says, in three steps, "i. 24 pin main power together connect with 24 pin socket." "ii. Separate 20 pin of 24 pin connect with 20 pin socket." "iii. Separate 4 pin can not be connected with any possible socket."

I don't know, but that seems to tell me not to be connecting the split 4-pin alongside the 20-pin connector.

29 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

They can be tough ones. Use pliers for latch on one hand if you can't squeeze with fingers. And use flat headed screwdriver on another to lift connector. It will be painful to do but those connectors are hard plastic. Just make sure you don't cut wire or slash anywhere on mobo.

I've tried to get it off, but for fear of damaging the motherboard, I've decided to let it be for now. The main reason I wanted to disconnect it was for cable management, but it's not too big a deal. 

1 hour ago, Snappy said:

I'm not 100% sure. The manual seems to be badly translated from a Chinese company (no surprises there) and the illustrations are kind of hard to make out. But the page for connecting the 24-pin connector says, in three steps, "i. 24 pin main power together connect with 24 pin socket." "ii. Separate 20 pin of 24 pin connect with 20 pin socket." "iii. Separate 4 pin can not be connected with any possible socket."

I don't know, but that seems to tell me not to be connecting the split 4-pin alongside the 20-pin connector.

I've tried to get it off, but for fear of damaging the motherboard, I've decided to let it be for now. The main reason I wanted to disconnect it was for cable management, but it's not too big a deal. 

Ha yeh that is an odd translation, and I've had tough ones before, sometimes having to hold the motherboard down with one hand and pull with the other to separate them! 

Though if it's not a bother I wouldn't risk damage at the moment with a brand new build :) 

22 hours ago, daniielrp said:

Ha yeh that is an odd translation, and I've had tough ones before, sometimes having to hold the motherboard down with one hand and pull with the other to separate them! 

Though if it's not a bother I wouldn't risk damage at the moment with a brand new build :) 

Yeah, that's what I originally tried to do, but it wouldn't budge. However, my wizard of a dad came over and literally pulled it out with two fingers while I watched with my mouth open. Long story short, we built the whole thing. All that's left is to get the right 6-pin for my graphics card, get some thermal paste for my CPU (didn't have any on hand, so I used the stock cooler to do a first time run instead), and I have to install the OS. Hopefully it all goes smoothly :)
Anyway, thanks for your suggestions, I'd really hate to do something stupid and wreck my board when I was so close to done!