Apple fires members of staff over inappropriate photos Fiasco in Australia

AlTech

Pics, or it didn't happen! ;)

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

If I took a naked picture of myself and then put it on my phone and gave my pin to an Apple employee, I would not care that they looked at them and rated me, as long as it's over a 5/10. People need to stop being such whiny bitches about everything. If you dont want your naked pictures to be seen by anyone, dont literally give them to said people or better yet, dont take naked pictures of yourself.

Is it stupid and questionable from the Employees to do this? Yes

Is it stupid to leave private information on a device you hand over to some one else who can freely access it? Yes

The employees should have done the right thing and inform the customers about the risk they take with their private information and the customers themselves should not have given away a device with said information on there. Really these are the same people that whine about being 'hacked' when their password1234 on their *insert cloud storage name here* was guessed within 0.1seconds by a bot.

Anyhow I would have fired them right away to, you gotta respect the customer's data (not necessarily the customers depending on how they behave) and my brand reputation.

"Hope, what a concept." - Deunan Knute

Taking photos of customers/collegues in the store... meh. 

Copying photos from the customer's phone without the customer knowing is where the line is crossed. 

It being a Brisbane store tho, makes me wanna see the pics, even if it's just photos of them in the store. ;)

It's Brizzy, it's tropical, the girls there must be hot! 

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

4 hours ago, Carde said:

Is it stupid and questionable from the Employees to do this? Yes

Is it stupid to leave private information on a device you hand over to some one else who can freely access it? Yes

The employees should have done the right thing and inform the customers about the risk they take with their private information and the customers themselves should not have given away a device with said information on there. Really these are the same people that whine about being 'hacked' when their password1234 on their *insert cloud storage name here* was guessed within 0.1seconds by a bot.

Anyhow I would have fired them right away to, you gotta respect the customer's data (not necessarily the customers depending on how they behave) and my brand reputation.

so, if your phone, has a lock code, and is secure etc, and you have your private stuff on there, say, some banking information (eg 1), some private texts, (eg 2), some business information (eg 3) and some photos, be that of yourself, or of others, (eg 4)

you have a problem with your iPhone, something like broken home button, or something that is covered under warranty, you back it up, and there is an understanding that your personal data will not be accessed
in EG 1, if they access your banking details, and shared it, thats fraud
in eg 2 without a warrant, in most places that would be an offence, however, the exception might be incoming texts
in eg 3 there are a whole heap of things that could happen should that data be shared, and someone was to make a profit or gain from it, most would result in jail time
in eg 4, this is what we hare talking about now, there is a duty of care, this wasn't a case of someone seeing the background screen, this was people actively going through private photos, 

and depending on the nature of the phones problem (that resulted in them bring the photo in) and that is the scary part, there could have been people that practice all the right measures to keep that data private, but apples fail in odd ways, and it isn't always easy to remove the SD card (impossible i'd say) they might not have had the chance to remove some of those images 

7 hours ago, Copuis said:

so, if your phone, has a lock code, and is secure etc, and you have your private stuff on there, say, some banking information (eg 1), some private texts, (eg 2), some business information (eg 3) and some photos, be that of yourself, or of others, (eg 4)

you have a problem with your iPhone, something like broken home button, or something that is covered under warranty, you back it up, and there is an understanding that your personal data will not be accessed
in EG 1, if they access your banking details, and shared it, thats fraud
in eg 2 without a warrant, in most places that would be an offence, however, the exception might be incoming texts
in eg 3 there are a whole heap of things that could happen should that data be shared, and someone was to make a profit or gain from it, most would result in jail time
in eg 4, this is what we hare talking about now, there is a duty of care, this wasn't a case of someone seeing the background screen, this was people actively going through private photos, 

and depending on the nature of the phones problem (that resulted in them bring the photo in) and that is the scary part, there could have been people that practice all the right measures to keep that data private, but apples fail in odd ways, and it isn't always easy to remove the SD card (impossible i'd say) they might not have had the chance to remove some of those images 

exactly. if their screen broke and they asked them to replace it then there is not much they couldve done. they can't back it up without a screen, maybe wipe it trough icloud if they set that up. but even then. apple taking the 'privacy' standpoint against the fbi and then having lacks control in their own employees is bad for their PR to say the least.