My wife is going to kill me

Rasmurd

First time poster here, long time LTT viewer.

I am about to come into a LOT of money as an insurance settlement for a work injury.  This injury has left me unable to work.  My wife is freaking awesome and went back to school for her 2nd degree and once she graduates and starts working she will be making more than I will ever be capable of making, so I have become the stay at home dad.  I find a lot of free time, since I can't work or even drive (thanks medications!).  I have a hobby of video editing and playing video games.  I already have a good computer, but it's not a beast of a computer.  My plan is to build one from scratch with the only thing I will be taking from my current setup is my gaming mouse, I will give the entire system to my kids so they can play Minecraft at 1080p!!!

I want to go a little overboard with my build.  Since it will be a daily driver, like almost my entire day, I plan on getting the best setup that I can get.  I don't plan on upgrading the computer for about 5 years and then I don't want to have to buy new everything again, but I know it will probably, be a new CPU, motherboard, RAM and video card.  I've done a little research and came up with this list here http://pcpartpicker.com/list/39tbpb

I'm not so much worried about color scheme since the motherboard I want has awesome RBG lighting effects as well as the graphics card.  I've read/watched so many reviews about the case and it being top case on a lot of countdowns I figured why not.  I don't want to do a custom water loop as my injury from work is leaving my dexterity in my hands at a minimum, also I don't want to piece and part one together without having the computer built and I can't source the fittings locally.  I have skills in carpentry, plumbing, and electrical.....so I plan on designing my desk and having my father-in-law put it together for me, great excuse to keep him busy while visiting the grandkids.  I'll visit my local office box stores to find a new chair, I can't justify ordering one unless I can sit in it first.

I'm really iffy about the headphone selection.  I'm not an audiophile and would use the speakers to listen to music, but I need something comfortable for voice coms during my raids on WoW.  That is the main game that I play mainly because I couldn't afford more games, but I plan on getting more titles.... FPS, driving simulators, MMORPGs.  I also haven't firmly decided on the boot drive, whether it would be beneficial to go dual ssd in raid 0 or stick with the m.2 ssd.

Let me know what you guys/gals think about the build and if you do have a suggestion please be sure to include your rationale for making the decision.

PARTS LIST http://pcpartpicker.com/list/39tbpb

Here is a list I put together, it will last you a bit longer than the one you got. Congrats on the claim, less congrats on the injury :P 

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/pgkPf8
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/pgkPf8/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-5960X 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($1008.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($110.04 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: MSI X99A GAMING PRO CARBON ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($290.97 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (8 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($429.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($306.07 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1080 8GB STRIX Video Card  ($629.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($124.99 @ B&H) 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($105.98 @ Newegg) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Monitor: Samsung S34E790C 34.0" 60Hz Monitor  ($799.00 @ B&H) 
Total: $3806.02
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-15 14:37 EDT-0400

If your building a $3000 rig then I suggest you get a titan x pascal in there with some cheaper motherboard conponents

I agree, the PC you have built is just the most expensive materials put together to form something you can get for 500$ less. Invest money in a GPU setup or something.

You need some professional Linus forum builders to help you out here.

This reminds me of the "tax return itch" I get every year.

Buy your wife a $1000 dress, and use $2000 to build your system.

With the exception of the display you chose, you can shave several dollars of each component you chose and get an identical experience.

If you want that extra bling, here's an RGB case with tempered glass panels: Corsair Crystal Series 460X RGB Compact ATX Mid Tower

It's not available on Newegg atm though and you'll have to mount your 280mm AIO at the front as top only supports 120/240mm. If you want the rad top mounted, go with the H100i v2.

Gaming headsets I'd recommend would be any of these, guaranteed better than the VOID:

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud II 7.1 Channel  Headset  ($91.99 @ Best Buy) 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver  Headset  ($119.99 @ Best Buy) 
Headphones: Steelseries Siberia 350 ($119.99 @ Newegg)

Wireless Headphones: Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum 7.1 Channel  Headset  ($138.00 @ Amazon) 

• Quote people's post else they won't know you replied.

Crapware | 4670k | Hyper212X | GSkill RipjawsX 16GB | Sapphire R9 280x VaporX | 840EVO 120GB | 1TB BLACK + BLUE

Logitech G102 | Corsair K70 MX Brown | HyperX Cloud

10 minutes ago, Jed M said:

That build isn't overkill, just overpriced.

I would be open to suggestions, but a blanket statement like that is not very helpful

7 minutes ago, IskanderEXC said:

Here is a list I put together, it will last you a bit longer than the one you got. Congrats on the claim, less congrats on the injury :P 

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/pgkPf8
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/pgkPf8/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-5960X 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($1008.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($110.04 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: MSI X99A GAMING PRO CARBON ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($290.97 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (8 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($429.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($306.07 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1080 8GB STRIX Video Card  ($629.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($124.99 @ B&H) 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($105.98 @ Newegg) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Monitor: Samsung S34E790C 34.0" 60Hz Monitor  ($799.00 @ B&H) 
Total: $3806.02
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-15 14:37 EDT-0400

Why the choice of the X99 platform over the Z170? is that just for the 64 GB of RAM?

3 minutes ago, Xreldo said:

If your building a $3000 rig then I suggest you get a titan x pascal in there with some cheaper motherboard conponents

I've checked newegg and ncixusa and neither site has the titan x available, so that is why I chose against it, basically I can't order it.

Dude trust me your overpricing a lot of things for the monitor and the PC ill try to come up with a part list that is cheaper and as powerful

2 minutes ago, elkenrod said:

This reminds me of the "tax return itch" I get every year.

Buy your wife a $1000 dress, and use $2000 to build your system.

With the exception of the display you chose, you can shave several dollars of each component you chose and get an identical experience.

LOL my wife laughed at that, she is not a dress type of woman, maybe buy her a new laptop (even though she is using a Dell Precision workstation)

1 minute ago, antisleep said:

If you want that extra bling, here's an RGB case with tempered glass panels: Corsair Crystal Series 460X RGB Compact ATX Mid Tower

It's not available on Newegg atm though and you'll have to mount your 280mm AIO at the front as top only supports 120/240mm. If you want the rad top mounted, go with the H100i v2.

Gaming headsets I'd recommend would be any of these:

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud II 7.1 Channel  Headset  ($91.99 @ Best Buy) 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver  Headset  ($119.99 @ Best Buy) 
Headphones: Steelseries Siberia 350 ($119.99 @ Newegg)

Wireless Headphones: Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum 7.1 Channel  Headset  ($138.00 @ Amazon) 

That case you suggested is ok, just don't know how well I would like the front panel being glass, I'll watch some reviews on it...  I'll also check out the other headphones , especially the ones at BestBuy that I can try on to see if they are comfortable.  I usually went with the $20 or less headphones and was never satisfied with them.

X99 is the enthusiast platform.  You get CPU core counts above six with support for quad channel RAM.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($324.95 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H5 Universal 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($150.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX300 525GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card  ($439.99 @ B&H)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass ATX Mid Tower Case  ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic EVO Edition 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($89.98 @ NCIX US)
Monitor: AOC U3477PQU 34.0" 60Hz Monitor  ($572.49 @ PCM)
Keyboard: Logitech G610 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud  Headset  ($78.95 @ B&H)
Total: $2274.30
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-15 14:56 EDT-0400

Suggest you get the NZXT Kraken over the x61. Better performer, able to be more silent, and cheaper. Also 850w PSU is not needed going with 650w is plenty for a build like that. The RAM speed is not needed unless you could get it for a real good price.

For the mouse: I like my G700s better.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

3 minutes ago, Rasmurd said:

LOL my wife laughed at that, she is not a dress type of woman, maybe buy her a new laptop (even though she is using a Dell Precision workstation)

That case you suggested is ok, just don't know how well I would like the front panel being glass, I'll watch some reviews on it...  I'll also check out the other headphones , especially the ones at BestBuy that I can try on to see if they are comfortable.  I usually went with the $20 or less headphones and was never satisfied with them.

Just googled that case:

Spoiler

omg.PNGNZXT.PNG

4 minutes ago, Xreldo said:

Dude trust me your overpricing a lot of things for the monitor and the PC ill try to come up with a part list that is cheaper and as powerful

The thing is, I'm not really worried about the price.  I'd rather pay more for something that looks nice and has the same performance.  I keep my rig in my living room, it has to look nice as well as perform.  I'll also be using different re-sellers to finish the pricing, but if the only reason to buy a different part is the price then it does not concern me, I need a mix of style, performance, and function. 

4 minutes ago, Rasmurd said:

The thing is, I'm not really worried about the price.  I'd rather pay more for something that looks nice and has the same performance.  I keep my rig in my living room, it has to look nice as well as perform.  I'll also be using different re-sellers to finish the pricing, but if the only reason to buy a different part is the price then it does not concern me, I need a mix of style, performance, and function. 

My build is $1000 cheaper and rivals yours in regard to your experience sitting in front of it.  The only real performance difference is downsizing the GTX 1080 because of the price.  The GTX 1070 will be fine for WOW.

6 minutes ago, Gonio said:

Suggest you get the NZXT Kraken over the x61. Better performer, able to be more silent, and cheaper. Also 850w PSU is not needed going with 650w is plenty for a build like that. The RAM speed is not needed unless you could get it for a real good price.

For the mouse: I like my G700s better.

I've never used anything manufactured by NZXT, so I will do more research on the reviews.  For the RAM I picked something compatible at a decent speed, thought about going for ones with LED, but still haven't made up my mind about it.  I agree with the 850w being a little much for the system, but I would rather have the room to add more stuff to the system if I was to be retrained to do something else and needed to add more to the system.  I also already got my mouse a couple of months ago, it was a present from my mom for being her IT on call 24/7.... I swear I get calls at 2am for some of the weirdest things her laptop decides to do. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-6800K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor  ($428.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($24.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus X99-A II ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($229.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LED 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($157.30 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($83.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1080 8GB STRIX Video Card  ($629.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe ATX Full Tower Case  ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSC0 DVD/CD Writer  ($14.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full - USB 32/64-bit  ($106.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Monitor: Acer XB280HK 28.0" 60Hz Monitor  ($518.90 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($119.99 @ Best Buy)
Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired Optical Mouse  ($60.75 @ Amazon)
Headphones: Corsair VOID 7.1 Channel  Headset  ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $2876.72
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-15 15:06 EDT-0400

That Phantek case you've picked on your build, with the tempered glass. I got a chance to build with it and while it looks really nice. Not too sure about having a glass pushing against the wires that's on the back side. The glass are really heavy and yet it's held by 4 extremely short thread screws.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I see a bunch of you guys are choosing a SATA SSD over the m.2 ssd that I had chosen, other than price what is the justification for this change?  Also I do not need any additional storage for the build as the current rig I have already has 4TB worth of storage and we use it as a NAS for the house.  So basically my ssd will hold windows, wow, a few other select games, vegas pro, and after effects (still learning it)

6 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6800K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor  ($428.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($24.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus X99-A II ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($229.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LED 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($157.30 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($83.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1080 8GB STRIX Video Card  ($629.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe ATX Full Tower Case  ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSC0 DVD/CD Writer  ($14.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full - USB 32/64-bit  ($106.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Monitor: Acer XB280HK 28.0" 60Hz Monitor  ($518.90 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($119.99 @ Best Buy)
Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired Optical Mouse  ($60.75 @ Amazon)
Headphones: Corsair VOID 7.1 Channel  Headset  ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $2876.72
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-15 15:06 EDT-0400

That Phantek case you've picked on your build, with the tempered glass. I got a chance to build with it and while it looks really nice. Not too sure about having a glass pushing against the wires that's on the back side. The glass are really heavy and yet it's held by 4 extremely short thread screws.

Did the case feel sturdy after putting all the parts in it?  Also about how heavy are the sides?  Like would I need to remove them before moving it to the kitchen for maintenance?  

21 minutes ago, Rasmurd said:

I see a bunch of you guys are choosing a SATA SSD over the m.2 ssd that I had chosen, other than price what is the justification for this change?  Also I do not need any additional storage for the build as the current rig I have already has 4TB worth of storage and we use it as a NAS for the house.  So basically my ssd will hold windows, wow, a few other select games, vegas pro, and after effects (still learning it)

At the speed at which SATA SSDs run at, capacity starts to become more of a benefit than raw speed.  Capacity and longevity.  Would it not be nice to have a project folder on the SSD for video editing?

WoW will run better with a 6700K than a 6800K. 

I wasted some time at least it was fun, here I present a true overkill PC that you should actually get http://pcpartpicker.com/list/cd8w3F

if you decide to go for this buy high bandwidth bridge and cooling liquid separately.

27 minutes ago, Rasmurd said:

Did the case feel sturdy after putting all the parts in it?  Also about how heavy are the sides?  Like would I need to remove them before moving it to the kitchen for maintenance?  

His build is decent but you wont have any good experience with 4k gaming without SLI so I think you should have a look at this beast and yes the case is good  http://pcpartpicker.com/list/cd8w3F as well as I got one of those zotac cards aswell they are beast.

I've also noticed that a lot of you guys are worried about price.  I'm not, if I was then I would just buy a new video card for my current i5 rig and call it a day.  I'm looking for something that is pleasing to the eye, this will be a piece of furniture in my house.  This will be the first time in my 35 years on this planet that I don't have to sort by lowest price first, so if price is the only reason you have to select a different part I'll pass on it.  If you want to suggest a part that has better build quality, more features, looks better, or is just freaking awesome then I am all ears.  

I'll give you my reasoning in each part on my list so you can better understand where I am coming from.

Let's start with the motherboard/cpu..... I chose the 1151 socket type because of the ROG motherboards.  My current system has a Maximus VI Hero and an i5 4670-K in it.  I have  never had a problem with either of those parts and wanted to keep with something that worked so well.  Before I had always used AMD because I was broke and I always had unstable overclocks and they always generally felt slow.  I sat down to pick parts and saw the Maximus VIII Formula board, my wife instantly liked the RBGs on it and I liked the clean look with the shroud over the board.

This lead to the search for a case.... I currently have a Corsair 600T (black) with the viewing panel.  I LOVE this case, it was a dream to build in and I really enjoy the look of it.  I thought about sticking with Corsair for the next build, but I kept seeing reviews and videos for the Phanteks case.  I watched a few videos and decided that the case would look sick as hell with the Formula board in it.

The video card.... usually I try to stick to EVGA for video cards as I have never had a bad experience with EVGA, I currently have an XFX Radeon 5450 in my rig.  I was pushed into buying that one because of the double lifetime warranty.  Really who wouldn't want a card that had a warranty that would last not only my time with the card, but the next owner!  But since companies don't care about people anymore I saw that the ASUS Strike 1080 had the RBG that could be controlled to match the Formula board.

RAM... RAM is RAM, I found something that was on the compatibility list and looked decent.  I thought about going for the Dominator with LED lights, but I figured I would have enough lighting in the case and the RAM should just be there to do its job and be fast.

I chose the PSU because I kind of trust Corsair with PSUs, only had 1 go bad on me and I think that was my kids fault and not the PSUs fault.  I also love fully modular cables!

I chose the m.2 ssd because I couldn't get a straight answer about which would be faster... either the m.2 or a pair of SATA SSDs in raid 0.  I ended up choosing the m.2 because I would have less cables in the computer.

Liquid cooler for CPU was chosen because I have the Corsair h80 on my current rig and I enjoyed working with it.  My last build was Corsair HEAVY.  

I chose the monitor because I want a huge monitor.  I fought back and forth over ultra widescreen or 4k.  My mom has an ultra-widescreen as her secondary monitor and I like the way it looks.  I picked the one I choose because it was also curved.  That should make it easier for me to see stuff in the corners without having to turn my head as far.

Keyboard.... I chose it because I've always wanted the black widow..... I like the RBG on the Chroma and I can test it out locally at the Best Buy to make my final decision on it.

headset... I don't know about this one at all.... I'll also be heading up to Best Buy to try out each headphone they have to find something comfortable.

I hope this helps you guys understand why I chose what I did.  Some of the reasons are purely aesthetic, but as mentioned previously, this computer will be in my living room.  I can't work so I screw around on my computer all day long.  I need it to be a piece of furniture and not just a box.  I'm not worried about the sound as I have a fan going 24/7....I live in south Georgia and it gets hot!  This will be sort of a present for myself for having to live the rest of my life with my injury.  Some people buy sports cars, some huge houses, I just want an awesome computer. 

37 minutes ago, Rasmurd said:

thats because in overall  daily use you won't notice that difference anymore, since that speed only comes around in specific loads. So untill it gets more affordable it won't be mainstream + you need hardware that supports NVME properly( you good on that part btw). Think it will be mainstream though in a few years.

A normal SSD will make your system snappy enough already for the laods you describe.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list