Are all LGA ### CPUs compatible with a LGA ### motherboard?

Go to solution Solved by xGGAx,

NO! especially for the 775 socket!! Ever heard of the wolfdale fiasco? Even the Conroes were not compaible with most 775 boards.

Say, for example, I have an LGA 775 motherboard. Will ANY LGA 775 cpu work? I ask this because I was searching for good LGA 775 CPUs (yes I know essentially the core 2 quads are the best.) but it seemed that the answer on places like Toms hardware was "It depends on your motherboard." I'm a little ignorant in this regard, as I've only built a few PCs and have never had this problem. As long as you match up the specs (Socket, ram type) it should work. 

But then again LGA 775 spanned from DDR2 to DDR3 right? So would that put a limit on compatibility? 

Again, please excuse my ignorance. Trying to learn a bit. 

Yes. Should work. If mobo is 775 then LGA 775 socket cpu should work

2 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Say, for example, I have an LGA 775 motherboard. Will ANY LGA 775 cpu work? I ask this because I was searching for good LGA 775 CPUs (yes I know essentially the core 2 quads are the best.) but it seemed that the answer on places like Toms hardware was "It depends on your motherboard." I'm a little ignorant in this regard, as I've only built a few PCs and have never had this problem. As long as you match up the specs (Socket, ram type) it should work. 

But then again LGA 775 spanned from DDR2 to DDR3 right? So would that put a limit on compatibility? 

yes

775 socket = 775 CPU

1150 socket = 1150 CPU

Socket determines CPU.

Motherboard determines RAM.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

2 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

775 socket = 775 CPU

1150 socket = 1150 CPU

Socket determines CPU.

and money determines everything

3 minutes ago, dexxterlab97 said:

Yes. Should work. If mobo is 775 then LGA 775 socket cpu should work

Great. For the record, the build I'm messing around with is mostly blue. (Mobo/graphics card) I thought you'd appreciate that.

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

775 socket = 775 CPU

1150 socket = 1150 CPU

Socket determines CPU.

Interesting. I thought CPUs "required" a certain type of RAM so a CPU designed for a LGA 775 DDR2 board wouldn't work with a LGA 775 DDR3 board. Good to know though.

NO! especially for the 775 socket!! Ever heard of the wolfdale fiasco? Even the Conroes were not compaible with most 775 boards.

Core i7 7700k Kabylake stock + Kraken x52 | ASUS Z170-A | 8GB DDR4 2133MHz HyperX | ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 STRIX 6GB | 250GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB HDD WD RE4 | Seasonic X-Series 650w | Corsair 460x RGB  | Win 10 Pro 64 bit | Corsair M65 PRO RGB Mouse | Corsair K70 RGB RapidFire

6 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Say, for example, I have an LGA 775 motherboard. Will ANY LGA 775 cpu work?

No if it is an older 775 board it may have support  for only pentium 4/D cpus, and some have tdp limits on the cpus, there are other considerations that need to be looked at.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

9 minutes ago, xGGAx said:

9 minutes ago, SLAYR said:

No if it is an older 775 board it may have support  for only pentium 4/D cpus, and some have tdp limits on the cpus, there are other considerations that need to be looked at.

Ah, maybe that's why I was finding weird things online. I'll try to search for compatability. And no, I've never heard of the wolfdale fiasco. I kinda skipped over caring about computers for a decade... or so...

Even though both of these answers solved the question, I chose xGGAx's because their avatar was... "better." ;) 

3 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Great. For the record, the build I'm messing around with is mostly blue. (Mobo/graphics card) I thought you'd appreciate that.

Interesting. I thought CPUs "required" a certain type of RAM so a CPU designed for a LGA 775 DDR2 board wouldn't work with a LGA 775 DDR3 board. Good to know though.

RAM and CPU's communicate through the chipset and motherboard which is why they will be compatible. As @xGGAx mentioned, LGA775 was a bit rocky while alive so be sure to check the motherboard's supported CPU's list.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

RAM and CPU's communicate through the chipset and motherboard which is why they will be compatible. As @xGGAx mentioned, LGA775 was a bit rocky while alive so be sure to check the motherboard's supported CPU's list.

Looks like my particular motherboard is "newer" and supports all of the quads and extremes. YAY.

No, I'm not turning this into a gaming PC, but it was a gaming motherboard from yesteryear and I'm kinda interested to see what it can do... It'll be a lowly server eventually.

Read motherboard manuals should be the best way of knowing if mobo really support that cpu or not

@corrado33  Well basically most manufacturers (even nvidia) claimed their boards were compatible with wolfdale but they were not.  Also, most 775 boards at the time the Conroes came out were not compatible with the core2 duos (or core 2 quads).

Conroe Compatibility:
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=789

Wolfdale:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2363

Core i7 7700k Kabylake stock + Kraken x52 | ASUS Z170-A | 8GB DDR4 2133MHz HyperX | ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 STRIX 6GB | 250GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB HDD WD RE4 | Seasonic X-Series 650w | Corsair 460x RGB  | Win 10 Pro 64 bit | Corsair M65 PRO RGB Mouse | Corsair K70 RGB RapidFire

23 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Often but not always.

LGA 775 had a long run through a few revisions starting with the last gen Pentium 4 and ending with Core2 Quad as well as some Xeons.  You need to be sure the chipset you use supports the FSB of the 775 chip you're looking at.  

It's less of an issue with newer sockets but, you should always verify CPU compatibility with each vendor.

26 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Depends on the platform

The new intel and amd platforms have the memory controller on the cpu, so are limited to what the cpu supports, where older cpu's with the memorycontroller on the chipset, could use any memory standard. For example on lga 771/775 you could use ddr3, ddr2, and fbddr2. You could make a ddr4 lga 775 board if you wanted to and made a custom chip.

It really depends if the bios supports the specific LGA 775 processor. After that it is gravy

Did I help you to fix your problem or at least did offer somewhat valuable advice? Consider giving my post a "informative" or "thumbs up".

SYSTEM 2: Modded G3 case with Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2L, Intel E8600 (O.C to 4.2GHz.), 4GB GSkill PC8500, Nvidia 8800GTS (512M), Cooling provided by Scythe Big Shrunkin, HDD 1 = OSX 10.9.5, HDD 2 = Windows 7 Pro X64. (Placed 3rd in MacMod  of the year 2012) (For info see:  http://insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285641-and-the-winner-for-macmod-of-2012-is/

LAPTOP: Inspiron 1720, Modded BIOS, X9000 Core 2 extreme OC'ed and undervolted to 3.4GHz (windows only) , 6GB DDR2 800, 8600M GT, 1920x1200 Glossy display, Sigmatel Audio, 2 Kingston HyperX 120GB drives (1 with Windows 7 x64 pro & 1 with OSX 10.9.5) X9000 Processor World Record Holder since 02/2013 on Geekbench 2 : http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/search?dir=desc&q=x9000&sort=score

34 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Usually yes, but you have to check the Bios as well because you will have the odd exception to this.

I would rather agree on what we share, than fight on what we don't. - Myself

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

24 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

I thought CPUs "required" a certain type of RAM

true for modern CPUs because the memory controller is built into the CPU itself.

but on 775 CPUs the memory controller was still on the mobo/chipset - so socket 775 went all the way from DDR 1 with early boards for P4 to DDR 3 on the latest core compatible boards.