Problem with YouTube Videos I upload 21:9 --> 16:9

Hello all, thanks for stopping by. I am going to give a TL:DR now because I'll go more in depth then some may like so here is the basic issue and then for better details continue reading.

TL:DR = I can't get my videos to work properly from 21:9 to 16:9 on YouTube anymore. I export in h2.64 with Premiere and could previously fullscreen in both aspect ratios in the YouTube player. No longer can I do that it seems. I can't figure out how to get just 16:9 to work either now coming from 21:9. Any tips?   (the video is 1920x1080 after Premiere and looks fine on my phone, it's after YouTube that is breaks)

I record gameplay of video games at 2560x1080 using shadowplay, as I think it has the best quality, best file size, ease of use, and least system demanding. I have had no problems editing with Adobe Premiere and uploading in 21:9. I didn't want to neglect the majority of viewers, so I used Premiere to convert to 1920x1080. It worked great up until a week or so ago when all of my videos converted to the 21:9 aspect ratio after I uploaded another video. I import in 2560x1080, 29fps, recommended bit rate ect. I export with a custom preset, using h2.64, but to get it to fullscreen properly with no letterboxing (black bars top and bottom) I use HD Anamorphic 1080 (1.333) Aspect setting. When exported, I can still fullscreen on my ultrawide, and when viewing on my phone (transfer over) or other 16:9 display it fullscreens too. However, when I upload it to YouTube, it no longer fills the 16:9 aspect ratio while simultaneously filling my ratio too, like it had in the past. I'd rather they be pure 16:9 then both if it means it will never be 16:9, it was a miracle it fullscreened properly for both ratios honestly when uploaded. 

That was as short as I could get it with being thorough and explaining the situation.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this, or to export properly? I prefer to have 1080p but will settle for 720p, but after over a dozen export trials on an Outlast 2 demo video I did, I can't for the life of me get it to be only 16:9, or resolve my issue to before. 

Here is a link to the Outlast 2 Demo video because I mentioned it above so you can understand what I mean.

If you have a 21:9 display, it should fullscreen fine. But 16:9 users will have letterboxing. You can tell there is an issue immediately because without fullscreening, the YouTube player isn't using the all the space before you expand the window. There is letterboxing there too. It seemed to be when I uploaded a video that they all converted, even though it was the same format as previous ones. Note that this is in fact a 1920x1080 video, as confirmed when I look at the video properties, not 2560x1080 like the first part to the Amnesia AMFP I did. 

I appreciate any and all advice or thoughts on the topic, I wish YouTube hadn't thrown me this curve ball as even though my viewership is literally just my friends, I enjoy making videos more than I have been working on my major and seem to have a built in passion for film/photography that I'd like to pursue. I have contacted YouTube support at least twice, and the first time they said they had some people working on it but no ETA for a fix. I don't know if I can still believe that or not but would rather get an opinion from someone who's probably dealt with it more and has much more experience in what I'm trying to accomplish. Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

The player uses it all on my screen. I watched the first 7 seconds cause i hate scary shit but it looks extremely well edited

[edit] the player plays with letter boxes top and bottom like it normally would

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

Hmm, interesting. Thank you for the kind words. I've had one or two people tell me that they get no letterboxing, and many telling me they previously didn't but have in the past week, effecting all current/future uploads and past ones as well. It is an odd issue I can't find any documentation on either.

Here is piece of a strictly 1080p upload of some Fallout 4 gameplay I had planned on turning into something, for me it works as 16:9 1080p content should, with the player using all screen space when not in full screen mode, and letter boxing on the left and right when fullscreen because of my ultrawide display.

My other videos fullscreen for me, and used to be able to display the 1080/16:9 as well as my 21:9 ratio without error, but no longer does it seems. I just don't get why it locks my videos into ultrawide when it has been converted to 16:9. At least 4:3 if the Animorphic HD setting works like the custom ratio option leads me to believe.

Note that footage is just raw, no edits or didn't even watch it, just trying the aspect ratio. Seems native 1080 content works fine but converted stuff has trouble now unlike before.

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 9:42 AM, Fumferknuckle said:

Hello all, thanks for stopping by. I am going to give a TL:DR now because I'll go more in depth then some may like so here is the basic issue and then for better details continue reading.

TL:DR = I can't get my videos to work properly from 21:9 to 16:9 on YouTube anymore. I export in h2.64 with Premiere and could previously fullscreen in both aspect ratios in the YouTube player. No longer can I do that it seems. I can't figure out how to get just 16:9 to work either now coming from 21:9. Any tips?   (the video is 1920x1080 after Premiere and looks fine on my phone, it's after YouTube that is breaks)

I record gameplay of video games at 2560x1080 using shadowplay, as I think it has the best quality, best file size, ease of use, and least system demanding. I have had no problems editing with Adobe Premiere and uploading in 21:9. I didn't want to neglect the majority of viewers, so I used Premiere to convert to 1920x1080. It worked great up until a week or so ago when all of my videos converted to the 21:9 aspect ratio after I uploaded another video. I import in 2560x1080, 29fps, recommended bit rate ect. I export with a custom preset, using h2.64, but to get it to fullscreen properly with no letterboxing (black bars top and bottom) I use HD Anamorphic 1080 (1.333) Aspect setting. When exported, I can still fullscreen on my ultrawide, and when viewing on my phone (transfer over) or other 16:9 display it fullscreens too. However, when I upload it to YouTube, it no longer fills the 16:9 aspect ratio while simultaneously filling my ratio too, like it had in the past. I'd rather they be pure 16:9 then both if it means it will never be 16:9, it was a miracle it fullscreened properly for both ratios honestly when uploaded. 

That was as short as I could get it with being thorough and explaining the situation.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this, or to export properly? I prefer to have 1080p but will settle for 720p, but after over a dozen export trials on an Outlast 2 demo video I did, I can't for the life of me get it to be only 16:9, or resolve my issue to before. 

Here is a link to the Outlast 2 Demo video because I mentioned it above so you can understand what I mean.

If you have a 21:9 display, it should fullscreen fine. But 16:9 users will have letterboxing. You can tell there is an issue immediately because without fullscreening, the YouTube player isn't using the all the space before you expand the window. There is letterboxing there too. It seemed to be when I uploaded a video that they all converted, even though it was the same format as previous ones. Note that this is in fact a 1920x1080 video, as confirmed when I look at the video properties, not 2560x1080 like the first part to the Amnesia AMFP I did. 

I appreciate any and all advice or thoughts on the topic, I wish YouTube hadn't thrown me this curve ball as even though my viewership is literally just my friends, I enjoy making videos more than I have been working on my major and seem to have a built in passion for film/photography that I'd like to pursue. I have contacted YouTube support at least twice, and the first time they said they had some people working on it but no ETA for a fix. I don't know if I can still believe that or not but would rather get an opinion from someone who's probably dealt with it more and has much more experience in what I'm trying to accomplish. Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

YouTube doesn't support 21:9. It only plays back the resolutions shown in video options.

3840x2160 - (4K)

1920x1080 (FHD)

1280x720 (HD)

854x480 (3:2 qHD)

640x360

etc

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

11 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

YouTube doesn't support 21:9. It only plays back the resolutions shown in video options.

3840x2160 - (4K)

1920x1080 (FHD)

1280x720 (HD)

854x480 (3:2 qHD)

640x360

etc

Sorry mate, I'm not sure you understand what it is that I am asking. YouTube DEFINITELY does support 21:9 aspect ratio videos, as I have uploaded and viewed dozens of them. When uploading a 21:9 video, if you have an ultrawide monitor, it will fullscreen just as it should in the YouTube player. For 16:9 users, the ultrawide (21:9) video will have letterboxing on both the top and bottom of the video, whether in fullscreen mode or just windowed in the YouTube player. However, up until about 2 weeks ago, YouTube would take my native 21:9 (2560x1080) video that I had converted to 16:9 (1920x1080) and upload it so that I (ultrawide 21:9) could view it fullscreen with no letterboxing on my ultrawide, and it would also display fullscreen with NO letterboxing for my 16:9 viewers, whether in fullscreen mode or windowed. It seems either YouTube removed that functionality, or something glitched on my channel. 

I use the Anamorphic HD 1.333 ratio setting when exporting my native 2560x1080 video to convert it to 1920x1080 FULLSCREEN/NO BARS and it used to work. When I view the video on my phone by transferring it to my phone's gallery app, it plays on the entire screen with no black bars. The same exported file will also play on the entire screen on my 29" ultrawide screen with no black bars either. As soon as I upload it to YouTube though, it seems to upload it as if it is a native 2560x1080 (21:9) video, when in fact it is a 1920x1080p video (as explained with the phone, but also when you right click and go to properties of the video, it says the resolution is 1920x1080).

So the question remains, does anyone know what could have caused the videos to upload as 21:9 or what I can do to export in proper 1080p so that 16:9 users don't get black bars? I'll even export it in a weird 720p (or barely better than 720p) if it means no black bars. 

3 hours ago, Fumferknuckle said:

Sorry mate, I'm not sure you understand what it is that I am asking. YouTube DEFINITELY does support 21:9 aspect ratio videos, as I have uploaded and viewed dozens of them. When uploading a 21:9 video, if you have an ultrawide monitor, it will fullscreen just as it should in the YouTube player. For 16:9 users, the ultrawide (21:9) video will have letterboxing on both the top and bottom of the video, whether in fullscreen mode or just windowed in the YouTube player. However, up until about 2 weeks ago, YouTube would take my native 21:9 (2560x1080) video that I had converted to 16:9 (1920x1080) and upload it so that I (ultrawide 21:9) could view it fullscreen with no letterboxing on my ultrawide, and it would also display fullscreen with NO letterboxing for my 16:9 viewers, whether in fullscreen mode or windowed. It seems either YouTube removed that functionality, or something glitched on my channel. 

I use the Anamorphic HD 1.333 ratio setting when exporting my native 2560x1080 video to convert it to 1920x1080 FULLSCREEN/NO BARS and it used to work. When I view the video on my phone by transferring it to my phone's gallery app, it plays on the entire screen with no black bars. The same exported file will also play on the entire screen on my 29" ultrawide screen with no black bars either. As soon as I upload it to YouTube though, it seems to upload it as if it is a native 2560x1080 (21:9) video, when in fact it is a 1920x1080p video (as explained with the phone, but also when you right click and go to properties of the video, it says the resolution is 1920x1080).

So the question remains, does anyone know what could have caused the videos to upload as 21:9 or what I can do to export in proper 1080p so that 16:9 users don't get black bars? I'll even export it in a weird 720p (or barely better than 720p) if it means no black bars. 

How do you normally export video?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I use adobe premiere to take the ultrawide video to 16:9 video, that's about it. Using the h2.64 encoder.