Dell shipping questions?

Guest lilbman
Go to solution Solved by highwolf_x,

It's been a while since I ordered a Dell computer, and my friend actually ordered one a couple days ago and also has a shipping estimate of October 24th. However, if I remember correctly, Dell does indeed overestimate on the shipping date, but it seems to vary quite a bit. Last time I ordered a Dell PC was like 3 years ago (and one like 5 years ago), but they managed to overestimate both shipments by like a week or so-ish, so don't expect it to arrive that late, but it *could* arrive that late if things get delayed that much. :P

I ordered an Alienware 15 from Dell and it's estimated delivery is October 24th through November 1st.  Some people say that Dell overestimates frequently on shipping.  Does Dell like to overestimate how long it will take to arrive, and is it possible that it will arrive earlier than the 24th?

I have never ordered from Dell personally, but I work in a IT department that is Dell certified and uses Dell for everything. The parts we order come in on the earliest date, almost all the time.

Andrew "FirstM8" Wanamaker

Missouri University of Science and Technology

Freshman Engineering - Computer Engineering

Missouri S&T IT Help Desk

2 minutes ago, lilbman said:

I ordered an Alienware 15 from Dell and it's estimated delivery is October 24th through November 1st.  Some people say that Dell overestimates frequently on shipping.  Does Dell like to overestimate how long it will take to arrive, and is it possible that it will arrive earlier than the 24th?

It certainly is possible, but you have to consider where it's being shipped from and to, and any kind of last-minute delays that could suddenly occur.

It's been a while since I ordered a Dell computer, and my friend actually ordered one a couple days ago and also has a shipping estimate of October 24th. However, if I remember correctly, Dell does indeed overestimate on the shipping date, but it seems to vary quite a bit. Last time I ordered a Dell PC was like 3 years ago (and one like 5 years ago), but they managed to overestimate both shipments by like a week or so-ish, so don't expect it to arrive that late, but it *could* arrive that late if things get delayed that much. :P

Most companies will overstate shipping times to avoid people complaining if things take longer than they said. It's perfectly possible it will arrive before the stated date, but also possible it will not. 

12 minutes ago, highwolf_x said:

Good to know.  I'm so excited, from now until it arrives will feel like forever

6 minutes ago, lilbman said:

Good to know.  I'm so excited, from now until it arrives will feel like forever

That's how I felt and was overjoyed when it arrived early, lol.

You are more likely to get it quicker than that last date. Dell does this because things such as a missing package or problems with the shipper might happen(like the hurricane in Florida) 

Yea. I had someone I know who ordered a Dell. Dell overestimates shipping. :)

I guess they assume the worst, where they lack a part (like a wireless card, or panel) and needs to wait for the next bash or something.

You'll most likely have it before :)

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

Yea. I had someone I know who ordered a Dell. Dell overestimates shipping. :)

I guess they assume the worst, where they lack a part (like a wireless card, or panel) and needs to wait for the next bash or something.

You'll most likely have it before :)

So there's a chance-however small it is-that it may come before the 24th?

10 hours ago, lilbman said:

So there's a chance-however small it is-that it may come before the 24th?

From experience, yes.

10 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

From experience, yes.

Lol it came today.  I was pleasantly surprised.

2 hours ago, lilbman said:

Lol it came today.  I was pleasantly surprised.

W0000t!!!

Yea :D