DVI-D and Display Port

I'm currently working on my first PC build and was wandering if there is a difference between DVI-D dual-link and Display Port. I have a monitor which I have been using for a while, and it supports 1080p at 144hz. But it doesn't have a display port input. Is this a big deal as it means I may have to get a new monitor.

Dual link DVI is capable of 1080p@144hz. So if your gpu has a dual link dvi output then it's fine. (and if it doesn't have a dual link dvi out, then you can just get an active dp to dual link dvi adapter).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

It won't make a difference. There both digital and show the exact same image and frame rate.

Do they both allow for audio?

5 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Dual link DVI is capable of 1080p@144hz. So if your gpu has a dual link dvi output then it's fine. (and if it doesn't have a dual link dvi out, then you can just get an active dp to dual link dvi adapter).

I plan on getting either the gtx 1080 or 1080 ti.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Only displayport has audio

DVI can also carry audio, but it begs the question why....Monitor audio sucks anyway. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Only displayport has audio

So how would I get audio with dvi? I use a headset 95% of the time, so does that mean I would use the headphone jack on the PC rather than the monitor?

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

DVI can also carry audio, but it begs the question why....Monitor audio sucks anyway. 

So I'm fine as long as I use the audio from the PC not the monitor? I'm gonna be using headphones 95% of the time anyways.

1 minute ago, prostrike33 said:

So I'm fine as long as I use the audio from the PC not the monitor? I'm gonna be using headphones 95% of the time anyways.

yes

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

yes

Thanks. You just saved me a quite some money and effort

3 minutes ago, prostrike33 said:

So how would I get audio with dvi? I use a headset 95% of the time, so does that mean I would use the headphone jack on the PC rather than the monitor?

Yep. You probably also get better audio quality from your pc directly.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yep. You probably also get better audio quality from your pc directly.

Thank you