Would a DAC help me here?

OPSJono
Go to solution Solved by Volbet,
16 hours ago, OPSJono said:

This is why I asked here, there's a lot of contradicting information/opinions floating around on the internet.

Anybody got any sources/links for me to read up on to be properly educated in my buying decision? :)

If you feel like getting really nerdy: http://nwavguy.blogspot.dk/

Basically, the hiss can be down to a varity of factors. 

It can be down to a high output impedance of the onboard amp or it can be down to interference on the onboard DAC. 

Either way, an external audio soluion can help.

You can also try @SSL's guide to removing interferance

The Schiit Fulla doesn't seem readily available in the UK.

Any reason why you would get one over the other?

I have heard of Schiit before, they've been spoken about as one of the better audio companies out there. But I almost never see any of their equipment in use anywhere.

Well, the Brexit isn't fully realized, so you could try here. 

http://www.schiit-europe.com/index.php/producten/dacs/schiit-fulla-dac-headphone-amp.html

It's sold from a Dutch importer, so there will be no additional import taxes and fees.

Schitt is being used by a lot of people, its just that they're mainly seen as a US only manufacture. 

The reason why people recommend Schiit is becuase they usually give the best value for your money. 

Personally, I've always been a bit lukewarm on the Schiit Fulla, since the volume knop is less than ideal. 

So I'm using the onboard audio in my laptop, it's a Dell Insprion 7537.

And I'm using some cheap-o earphones. These ones: Sennheiser-MX-375

But there's a bunch of hiss/whitenoise when I have the headphones plugged in.

Would it help/completely remove the white noise by getting something like a USB DAC to use with the same headphones?

I've been looking at DACs and they seem more expensive than what I would just buy on a whim.
This one seems pretty good from what I've read. FiiO E10K

Input/advice welcome. :)

Yes, USB dac will help with hissing on your headset, because it is an external dac. Digital to analog conversion will happen outside and far from the system.

that is a DAC and amp combo, a stand alone DAC would just be a brick unless you got a stand alone amp.

Sure it should fix it, but I would not get a E10K, I would rather go for the Schiit Fulla

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

i replaced the power supply in my computer and than the front panel audio on my case stopped working. and the audio jacks on the mobo itself are awful. i dont know if an amp/ dac would help me here but i dont know what to do.

3 hours ago, darkwizard06 said:

Yes, USB dac will help with hissing on your headset, because it is an external dac. Digital to analog conversion will happen outside and far from the system.

This is false. A DAC will do nothing for headphones.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

4 hours ago, darkwizard06 said:

1 hour ago, KaminKevCrew said:

This is false. A DAC will do nothing for headphones.

This is why I asked here, there's a lot of contradicting information/opinions floating around on the internet.

Anybody got any sources/links for me to read up on to be properly educated in my buying decision? :)

3 hours ago, Dackzy said:

that is a DAC and amp combo, a stand alone DAC would just be a brick unless you got a stand alone amp.

Sure it should fix it, but I would not get a E10K, I would rather go for the Schiit Fulla

I have heard of Schiit before, they've been spoken about as one of the better audio companies out there. But I almost never see any of their equipment in use anywhere.

It can be down to a high output impedance of the onboard amp or it can be down to interference on the onboard DAC. 

Well, the Brexit isn't fully realized, so you could try here. 

http://www.schiit-europe.com/index.php/producten/dacs/schiit-fulla-dac-headphone-amp.html

It's sold from a Dutch importer, so there will be no additional import taxes and fees.

Schitt is being used by a lot of people, its just that they're mainly seen as a US only manufacture. 

The reason why people recommend Schiit is becuase they usually give the best value for your money. 

Personally, I've always been a bit lukewarm on the Schiit Fulla, since the volume knop is less than ideal. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

27 minutes ago, Volbet said:

Well, the Brexit isn't fully done, so you could try here. 

Thanks for the links!

Holy, @SSL's post is thorough. 

See what I can do help myself with all that. :) 

I bought a cheap-ish Fiio E10 to clean up the shit audio out of my HP Elitebook that I use for work.    Fiio isn't top of the line, but they're good value and you don't have gear good enough anyways to need better.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Thanks for all the replies guys!

I remembered at midnight last night that I actually still had an Akai EIE in the loft.

So I got that out and brought it to work for the laptop, and I brought my Sennheisier HD598's with me too.

I had completely forgot I had my old Interface in the loft when I first made this post.

Glorious sound quality while working! :)