Is it worth the trade-off?

Crypt1c

So I'm thinking about getting the Asus MG248Q, which has free-sync. In my plan I was going to use a Asus gtx1060 nitro as my gpu (I'll be building in a small mini-itx case so I thought a blower style one would be better), and free-sync isn't usable with Nvidia cards. I'm not sure if I want to go with something like the rx480 due to its higher temperature compared to the 1060. How good is free-sync? I play CS:GO most of the time, with some other games that are more graphic demanding compared to cs form time to time if I'm interested in the game.

3 minutes ago, Crypt1c said:

So I'm thinking about getting the Asus MG248Q, which has free-sync. In my plan I was going to use a Asus gtx1060 nitro as my gpu (I'll be building in a small mini-itx case so I thought a blower style one would be better), and free-sync isn't usable with Nvidia cards. I'm not sure if I want to go with something like the rx480 due to its higher temperature compared to the 1060. How good is free-sync? I play CS:GO most of the time, with some other games that are more graphic demanding compared to cs form time to time if I'm interested in the game.

I'd suggest you go with the 1060 since an ITX case isn't spacious at all for good circulation of cool air. Its worth the trade-off in my opinion.

My Daily Driver:

Acer Predator Helios 300
»« Intel Core i5-8300H »« 16GB DDR4 RAM »« NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB »« Silicon Power A60 512 GB M.2 SSD »« 
Toshiba PC L200 1 TB HDD »« Microsoft Windows 10 Home »«

It depends on your case. I use a Strix 1070 in my ITX case(NZXT Manta), but I have room to allow the front intake fans to push that air out and pull in fresh. What case is your build going into? Are you air cooling or liquid cooling your CPU?

Freesync is AMD's version of GSync. Except GSync costs money for a monitor maker to put into their monitor, so that's why Gsync enabled monitors are more expensive and you see alot of newer monitors supporting Freesync, because it's free. Freesync doesn't bother NVidia cards at all. My monitor has freesync but not GSync and it works fine.

1 minute ago, Katsunaka said:

What case is your build going into?

I'm building in a fractal design node 202, it can have 2 120 mm fans but that means removing the case's gpu supporter to which I'm not too comfortable doing.(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy_Eraep6gw Look at 4:37) I'll probably use one fan as intake and depend on my blower style gpu as exhaust. Btw does the power supply adds to the exhaust, if so would it result in a negative air pressure in my case?

Just now, Crypt1c said:

I'm building in a fractal design node 202, it can have 2 120 mm fans but that means removing the case's gpu supporter to which I'm not too comfortable doing.(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy_Eraep6gw Look at 4:37) I'll probably use one fan as intake and depend on my blower style gpu as exhaust. Btw does the power supply adds to the exhaust, if so would it result in a negative air pressure in my case?

If you removed the GPU support, it would just make the fans the new support. The PSU is on it's own. The PSU gets its own air intake and exhaust, so no need to worry about the PSU causing any issues. 

IIRC, the PCI riser has a support set of screws that hold it in place. So it strengthens the connections there. GPU sag will always be there, just because an ITX case has a support it doesn't make the ATX cases less effective.

Are you going to be moving this case around enough that not having GPU support is going to be a big deal? (I carry my Manta build in my sig around at least 2-3 times a week no issues, and even before that when it was still ATX I carried it, no issues)

If you aren't moving the case around at all, then don't worry about it. If you are moving it around, it's not like your drop kicking your PC the whole way there. You'll be carrying it, and if you build it, youll know what to worry about. A little shaking and movement isn't going to damage anything. Hell, Sunday I was on my way home with my PC in my back seat. Had to hit the brakes to avoid an accident. My PC fell onto the floor in my car. Still works after that. Sure it's bad, but it's either an accident or let it the floor. 

The Node 202 by default is positive air pressure. It's all intake and no exhaust. It depends on that positive pressure to push the air out out of it's case. So even with a open air style cooler(not a blower) on your GPU and removing the GPU support, you'd have 2 fans pulling cool air into the case, into the GPU and the GPU is pushing it's air out to the sides. 

I think you'd be fine either way, blower style or not. 

That's Jayztwocents build guide in the Node 202. He used a open air style cooler GPU.