SSD on SATA2 motherboard

Sport Driver

Hello everyone. So my parents started complaining that their PC is running slow and since I reinstalled Windows about a year ago and will probably do it again I decided  that it would be time  to get them on SSD wagon since they still run SATA 2 HDD in their computer. But there is a catch, the motherboard doesn't have SATA3 connector. ( this is the motherboard in question http://ark.intel.com/products/51857/Intel-Desktop-Board-DH61CR ) So that got me thinking, would it be worth buying M.2 SSD and adapter from PCIe to M.2  to get better speed or would be the SSD on SATA 2 fine ( remeber we are talking about parents so browsing and basic office work). 

PC: R7 5800X, AMD RX480 4GB, 32 GB RAM, 1TB 970 EVO, 500 GB 860 EVO, 500 GB HDD, RM 750 PSU

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 510s 14":  i5 7200U, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB 860 EVO

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 4G

If you transfer Data SATA2 will be a bottleneck, but when browsing etc. a SATA2 connector is just a little slower than SATA 3, so it's hardly noticeable. My brother also has his SSD on a SATA 2 connector and it runs just fine :)

Main goal is to have PC boot up quicker, faster access to files and programs to open quicker. So it won't be to big bottle neck  for that?

And also which SSDs do you reccomend, I was looking at 750 Evo since I'm quite happy with my 840 Evo.

PC: R7 5800X, AMD RX480 4GB, 32 GB RAM, 1TB 970 EVO, 500 GB 860 EVO, 500 GB HDD, RM 750 PSU

it'll act a lot more 'snappy' yes there'll be a bottleneck but there is always a bottlebeck somewhere. Things like seek time, iop, etc on an ssd, no wait for spin up etc will give a pretty improved experience. As for an adapter, probably not worth the investment, sata ii has a bandwidth of around 300mb's a sec, your lucky to get 120 max from a mech drive of that era.

There'll still be a night/day differences throwing in an ssd.

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

1 hour ago, Sport Driver said:

Main goal is to have PC boot up quicker, faster access to files and programs to open quicker. So it won't be to big bottle neck  for that?

And also which SSDs do you reccomend, I was looking at 750 Evo since I'm quite happy with my 840 Evo.

If you just want to boot quicker I recommend getting the SSD.

I would go with an 850 evo. I personally have one and really like it. Also older models tend to have problems with Windows 10.

As far as I understand 750 Evo is Samsung's  budget offering and is on market less time than 850 Evo. Thing is the price difference is 25 € which doesn't sound like a lot but but it's 1/3 of the price of 750 Evo. 

Currently I'm looking at Samsung 750 Evo, Crucial MX300, SanDisk X400, 850 Evo also isn't ruled out but it's the most expensive and there are problems with availability ( 1-3 weeks wait time at least for normal priced products)  

Ok, I decided to buy 750 Evo but I have one more question. Is the SATA cable included with the SSD or do I have to buy it separately? 

On 9.10.2016 г. at 1:42 PM, Sport Driver said:

~snip~

Hello :)

SATAII will limit the performance of your SSD to 300MB/s which is still about double compared to a regular storage drive. add the nearly instant access and seek time that SSDs have and you will notice a significant improvement of the system's boot/loading times, responsiveness and general performance, despite the bottleneck from the SATA bus. I don't think you need an additional PCIe card in order to add a SSD on it unless you are doing something very demanding. 

SSDs don't usually come with SATA cables but you can use one from your computer or simply get a new one. 

Let me know if you need any help or if you have any questions :)

Captain_WD. 

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/