Fan controller with 0 RPM mode?

RadiatingLight
Go to solution Solved by done12many2,
Just now, RadiatingLight said:

Alright. now that I know that they exist, where do I get one. also, what would happen if I connected my fan to the CPU header slot on my motherboard. is there like a fan header splitter?

Amazon, Newegg, Micro Center, or just about any retailer that sells computer parts.  Yes, there are 3 pin and 4 pin splitters available in tons of different configurations.  Hooking these up to your CPU fan header is completely fine.  Just make sure you do not exceed the total rated power capacity of that header.

Hello! I have a huge 240mm fan in the top of my case, which is slightly unbalanced, and makes a lot of noise. is there a way to hook this fan up to a fan controller with a zero RPM mode so it doesn't turn on if my CPU isn't under load?

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

9 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Hello! I have a huge 240mm fan in the top of my case, which is slightly unbalanced, and makes a lot of noise. is there a way to hook this fan up to a fan controller with a zero RPM mode so it doesn't turn on if my CPU isn't under load?

Are you opposed to installing an inline switch?  If not you can just wire in an inline switch and manually kill it until needed.

2 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Are you opposed to installing an inline switch?  If not you can just wire in an inline switch and manually kill it until needed.

Well I don't want to continually monitor my CPU temps, so yes I kinda am opposed to that. I was just wondering if there are any fan controllers that let you make a custom fan curve or something

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

1 minute ago, RadiatingLight said:

I was just wondering if there are any fan controllers that let you make a custom fan curve or something

Yes.

2 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Yes.

Alright. now that I know that they exist, where do I get one. also, what would happen if I connected my fan to the CPU_fan header slot on my motherboard. is there like a fan header splitter?

Desktop:

Laptop:

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

Alright. now that I know that they exist, where do I get one. also, what would happen if I connected my fan to the CPU header slot on my motherboard. is there like a fan header splitter?

Amazon, Newegg, Micro Center, or just about any retailer that sells computer parts.  Yes, there are 3 pin and 4 pin splitters available in tons of different configurations.  Hooking these up to your CPU fan header is completely fine.  Just make sure you do not exceed the total rated power capacity of that header.

Just now, done12many2 said:

ok thanks

Desktop:

Laptop:

21 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Any particular reason you wouldn't want to use a software option instead? SpeedFan is free.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

6 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

ok thanks

No problem.  I just looked in your motherboard's manual and it has a built in fan controller so you could easily regulate the speed of that fan from within BIOS or Windows with Gigabyte software.  I'm not sure that it will let you completely stop it, but you could adjust the RPM to a speed that lowers or gets rid of the noise that your hearing.  

The only thing you'd need to make that happen is a splitter for a few dollars.  Keep in mind that if you run the large case fan and CPU fan off of the same slitter, the fans will mirror one another, which might not be great for CPU cooling purposes.  You can control any of the motherboard's fan headers from within BIOS or via software so give thought to a different arrangement.  If you did that, you might not even need to purchase the cheap splitter.