Win10 secondary HDD won't go "sleep"

Go to solution Solved by Schmeisel_level5,
3 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

How much space do you have on your SSD and do you have any external media that would fit all those files?

We may have to try re-formatting the drive. 

I have progress here! Found Reddit post, where someone had exactly same issue, and someone recommended to delete Intel RST driver and let Windows use default driver - https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/4ll0oz/secondary_hard_disk_wont_spin_down/?st=ity5hmgj&sh=48290bdb. It worked!

Hi,

I have installed Windows 10 (fresh install) and having a problem now with secondary HDD. OS is installed on SSD, and back when I used 8.1 secondary HDD (Samsung HD502HI) was going into "standby" mode according to windows energy saving settings. But this is not the case in Win 10 now, it looks like windows settings are not working, because HDD scan 3.3 does the job, it take HDD under control, it stops in set time etc. But this is not a solution.. as after restart HDD scan 3.3 is not booted and failing windows power settings are not working again. :\

Any idea what can I do about it?

Other software installed is same as it was with 8.1. I'm using Kaspersky Internet Security, tried to delete it and test without it - nope, HDD still will not go to "sleep".

Help?

Welcome to the forum!!!! I had the same issue when I tried to do this! Have you tried formatting the drive to get rid of everything on there? Check there isn't a background program running that needs the harddrive! 

When you did a fresh installation, was the hard drive connected?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Hi George!

Formatting - can't do, needed data on it.

Background program - checked it, nope, HDD is 0% load nothing reads or writes on it. I also tried to disable indexing, didn't help.

4 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

When you did a fresh installation, was the hard drive connected?

ehm..no, I unplugged it (just in case to be sure that I'm not deleting HDD partition) O_o can it be the reason for this issue?

Just now, Schmeisel_level5 said:

ehm..no, I unplugged it (just in case to be sure that I'm not deleting HDD partition) O_o can it be the reason for this issue?

No. I was concerned about you having plugged in during installation. Sometimes, Windows can put things on other drives without the user knowing. What are your current power settings for hard drives? A screenshot would also be helpful.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

@Godlygamer23

my OS isn't english. But settings are "balanced sheme" and in "advanced" tab I set "HDD to turn off" after 2min.

I also tested 5 and 10 mins just in case, thinking that some app need HDD >2mins. Nope

2 minutes ago, Schmeisel_level5 said:

@Godlygamer23

my OS isn't english. But settings are "balanced sheme" and in "advanced" tab I set "HDD to turn off" after 2min.

I also tested 5 and 10 mins just in case, thinking that some app need HDD >2mins. Nope

Could you still send a screenshot for me?

Sure, here is it.

[removed]

Do you have any other hard drives connected to the system?

No, just OS ssd and this secondary HDD.

Since you've had this issue, have you rebooted the system?

3 minutes ago, Schmeisel_level5 said:

Many times, yes, after deleting KIS and changing settings etc.

Can you disable Windows Search temporarily? Apparently someone had the same issue as you and disabling Windows Search fixed it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/83827-why-wont-my-hard-drives-spin-down-after-idle-period-post761087.html?s=35823d0c70622323c06e24c9a19b4f90#post761087

Sadly, no luck.. hdd still won't stop.

I have now installed eng.language pack to be sure I'm doing exactly what suggested.

4 minutes ago, Schmeisel_level5 said:

-

Just want to jump in and tell you to start quoting people you want to talk to.
You quote us by pressing the small arrow under the posts! That way we'll get a notification! :)

Welcome to the forums!

25 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Can you disable Windows Search temporarily? Apparently someone had the same issue as you and disabling Windows Search fixed it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/83827-why-wont-my-hard-drives-spin-down-after-idle-period-post761087.html?s=35823d0c70622323c06e24c9a19b4f90#post761087

I have now installed eng.language pack to be sure I'm doing exactly what suggested

1 minute ago, MVPernula said:

Just want to jump in and tell you to start quoting people you want to talk to.
You quote us by pressing the small arrow under the posts! That way we'll get a notification! :)

Welcome to the forums!

9 minutes ago, Schmeisel_level5 said:

I have now installed eng.language pack to be sure I'm doing exactly what suggested

What exactly is on your hard drive still? Nothing specific, just generic information with the type of content being stored.

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

What exactly is on your hard drive still? Nothing specific, just generic information with the type of content being stored.

Work stuff, lots of images and models files.

One more thing is local disks D/E (both partitions of secondary hdd) a listed under "portable deviced" in device manager.

1 minute ago, Schmeisel_level5 said:
Work stuff, lots of images and models files.

One more thing is local disks D/E (both partitions of secondary hdd) a listed under "portable deviced" in device manager.

How much space do you have on your SSD and do you have any external media that would fit all those files?

3 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I have progress here! Found Reddit post, where someone had exactly same issue, and someone recommended to delete Intel RST driver and let Windows use default driver - https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/4ll0oz/secondary_hard_disk_wont_spin_down/?st=ity5hmgj&sh=48290bdb. It worked!

Great.

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

Great.

Thank you very much for your attention. You actually did helped me to find this solution :) As I'm not english native speaker, I was searching for everything but not "spin down" lol

I'm even gone thru horrible (brr.. still bugs me out) experience with Microsoft. Their guy there... told me that "this is out of warranty problem that can be solved with premium support, paid". This was driving me crazy!

Thnx!

Thank you very much for your attention. You actually did helped me to find this solution :) As I'm not english native speaker, I was searching for everything but not "spin down" lol

I'm even gone thru horrible (brr.. still bugs me out) experience with Microsoft. Their guy there... told me that "this is out of warranty problem that can be solved with premium support, paid". This was driving me crazy!

Thnx!

I'm not convinced that was Microsoft. Windows doesn't have a warranty. The drive would though, but they don't have premium support, do they?