Dual Xeon X5675s VS Dual Xeon E5649s VS i7 4790k @ 4.5 GHz

Dual Xeon X5675s VS Dual Xeon E5649s VS i7 4790k @ 4.5 GHz  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Dual Xeon X5675s VS Dual Xeon E5649s VS i7 4790k @ 4.5 GHz?

• Dual Xeon X5675s
    • Dual Xeon E5649s
    • i7 4790k

Hi, I'm seriously thinking of getting a dual E5649 server with 48gb of ecc ram for $250 or get that and swap the E5649s with 2 X5675s for an extra $170 (cpus off of ebay) and a $37 corsair psu to power my 1080 (external psu) to replace my i7 4790k @ 4.5 GHz with 32gb of ram. Would the xeons be worth it over the i7? I will be using the xeons for multitasking, 75+ chrome tabs separated into categories so I can tell what tab is what, multiple game clients open so I don't have to wait for them to load/launch (battle.net, league, minecraft, and maybe more down the line), and video rendering. Thanks

Server = http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/servers-unified-computing/ucs-c-series-rack-servers/spec_sheet_c17-644230.pdf

PSU = https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-WHITE-Warranty-Supply-100-W1-0500-KR/dp/B00H33SFJU/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1475720287&sr=1-1&keywords=corsair+psu&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_two_browse-bin%3A6906982011

You know those are 5 year old xeons, right?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I found two used X5650's for $50cdn. But a single x5675 is $100usd.

That 4th gen would be $250cdn used.

I dont know about the E56xx's as I dont have my price list anymore. I cant remember off hand what the prices were.

As for performance, maybe look at the user.benchmark site.

15 minutes ago, Enderman said:

You know those are 5 year old xeons, right?

Yeah, but from what i'v researched, they are still pretty good and I was thinking that 2 of them would be way better than the i7

3 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

I found two used X5650's for $50cdn. But a single x5675 is $100usd.

That 4th gen would be $250cdn used.

I dont know about the E56xx's as I dont have my price list anymore. I cant remember off hand what the prices were.

As for performance, maybe look at the user.benchmark site.

When I look at benchmarks the i7 wins but I though having 2 of them would beat the i7, is this not true even though they are 5 year old cpus?

1 minute ago, ArcticWolf_11 said:

Yeah, but from what i'v researched, they are still pretty good and I was thinking that 2 of them would be way better than the i7

Uh, no, that's not how it works.

Not many programs can use tons of cores, 8 is enough for almost anything.

Single core performance is what will make games and programs run fast, which the 4790k is MUCH better at than those extremely old xeons.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

If you already have a 4790k I can't recommend it. Those xeons are best at being ran with a single chip in which case they are like a 4790k or a stock 5820k. You would have better luck if you really do want a multi-threaded beast to buy X99 and pick up one of those cheap $400 14-22 core ES builds. Try to do what you want to do on the 4790k first and see how it goes. If someone is going dual cpu on 1366 and really want to game or something along with multi-thread then you want to pick up X5690s which really makes the cost jump considerably but gives you 3.7GHz turbo.

20 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Uh, no, that's not how it works.

Not many programs can use tons of cores, 8 is enough for almost anything.

Single core performance is what will make games and programs run fast, which the 4790k is MUCH better at than those extremely old xeons.

3 minutes ago, DunePilot said:

If you already have a 4790k I can't recommend it. Those xeons are best at being ran with a single chip in which case they are like a 4790k or a stock 5820k. You would have better luck if you really do want a multi-threaded beast to buy X99 and pick up one of those cheap $400 14-22 core ES builds. Try to 4790k first and see what it can do. If someone is going dual cpu and really want to game or something along with multi-thread then you want to pick up X5690s which really makes the cost jump considerably but gives you 3.7GHz turbo.

Ah okay, thanks. What would you guys recommend I should do then? I always manage to pin my cpu to 50%-80% while browsing the web/youtube videos and playing a game causes it to go to 90%-100% and right now im using 77% of my ram (24.6GB out of 32GB) limit of the motherboard :(

13 minutes ago, ArcticWolf_11 said:

Ah okay, thanks. What would you guys recommend I should do then? I always manage to pin my cpu to 50%-80% while browsing the web/youtube videos and playing a game causes it to go to 90%-100% and right now im using 77% of my ram (24.6GB out of 32GB) limit of the motherboard :(

For what you are wanting to do making the jump to the 6800k might be a good idea if you can sell your current system. A 4790k is a great rig, just a little behind a 6700k setup and 6800k setup. Both of which are very similar in performance, edge being to the 6700k by a small margin 5-10% in gaming and in multi-threaded workloads more towards the 6800k by about a 20-30% margin. The performance jump from 4790k to 6700k isn't at all worth it but possibly to a 6800k it would be, or if you really have a big budget you could get an 8 core or 10 core. Money is usually always the deciding factor.

If by multiple game clients you just mean having curse, discord, steam, and bnet open along with a crap ton of Chrome tabs then I would say you shouldn't do anything. You 4790k is handling it just fine and you aren't going to notice a world of difference. If you do make a bunch of youtube videos then next time you upgrade look at 6 cores. Sounds like you basically do the same kind of thing as me and I prefer 6 cores, you don't need a dual cpu setup at all for something like that and actually would have much worse performance other than rendering a video or running Pro Tools or something with a metric ton of channels and plug ins. The 4790k, 6700k, 6800k can eat through the workload you are giving it like cake. If you have money burning a hole in your pocket though the 7700k coming out in January might be right up your alley though. You'll gain another ~10-20%  from the 6700k  making the jump from the 4790k more worthwhile for the enthusiast.

13 minutes ago, ArcticWolf_11 said:

You can try reinstalling windows to get rid of a bunch of old program files and background processes.

Also use ccleaner and anti-malware on a regular basis.

Try managing your resources better, like using bookmarks and folders instead of leaving things open, pinning programs to start and tawskbar instead of having them idle in the background, etc...

This is stuff you should be doing on any device, even a really powerful PC.

You can have a $10000 computer with a 6960X and two titan XPs and 128GB of ram, but if you don't manage your resources properly you will always have performance issues.

Your OS does what you tell it to do, it won't take responsibility and decide what to keep open and what to close, what is important and what isn't, etc...

BTW on chrome if you put a bunch of bookmarks in a folder, you can middle click the folder to open them all at once.

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, DunePilot said:

For what you are wanting to do making the jump to the 6800k might be a good idea if you can sell your current system. A 4790k is a great rig, just a little behind a 6700k setup and 6800k setup. Both of which are very similar in performance, edge being to the 6700k by a small margin 5-10% in gaming and in multi-threaded workloads more towards the 6800k by about a 20-30% margin. The performance jump from 4790k to 6700k isn't at all worth it but possibly to a 6800k it would be, or if you really have a big budget you could get an 8 core or 10 core. Money is usually always the deciding factor.

Thanks, I think ill keep that in mind

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

You can try reinstalling windows to get rid of a bunch of old program files and background processes.

Also use ccleaner and anti-malware on a regular basis.

Try managing your resources better, like using bookmarks and folders instead of leaving things open, pinning programs to start and tawskbar instead of having them idle in the background, etc...

This is stuff you should be doing on any device, even a really powerful PC.

You can have a $10000 computer with a 6960X and two titan XPs and 128GB of ram, but if you don't manage your resources properly you will always have performance issues.

Your OS does what you tell it to do, it won't take responsibility and decide what to keep open and what to close, what is important and what isn't, etc...

BTW on chrome if you put a bunch of bookmarks in a folder, you can middle click the folder to open them all at once.

Tbh its mainly the chrome tabs, I have way too many open, too lazy to reopen tabs when I need them. Don't have any programs running in the background that I don't need or malware, just way too many chrome tabs xD

1 minute ago, ArcticWolf_11 said:

Tbh its mainly the chrome tabs, I have way too many open, too lazy to reopen tabs when I need them. Don't have any programs running in the background that I don't need or malware, just way too many chrome tabs xD

Firefox also is much better with multiple tabs than Chrome at many things. If you don't believe me go open 20 tabs of tradingview and compare. Also if you are watching Netflix use the app or use Microsoft Edge, both of which handle it better than Chrome. Chrome handles youtube and general web browsing great though but in the other scenarios I just mentioned the others perform much better. Also, I added another paragraph to my previous post so go read it if you missed it.

9 minutes ago, ArcticWolf_11 said:

That's why you need to manage them with folders :)

I have over 500 bookmarks, all neatly ordered into categories so if I need to open a group of things I can middle click on a folder and open them all at once.

Also I usually close tabs after looking at them so I can reopen them later, instead of letting them pile up.

It increases productivity a lot too.

Spoiler

3 hours ago, DunePilot said:

Firefox also is much better with multiple tabs than Chrome at many things. If you don't believe me go open 20 tabs of tradingview and compare. Also if you are watching Netflix use the app or use Microsoft Edge, both of which handle it better than Chrome. Chrome handles youtube and general web browsing great though but in the other scenarios I just mentioned the others perform much better. Also, I added another paragraph to my previous post so go read it if you missed it.

3 hours ago, Enderman said:

That's why you need to manage them with folders :)

I have over 500 bookmarks, all neatly ordered into categories so if I need to open a group of things I can middle click on a folder and open them all at once.

Also I usually close tabs after looking at them so I can reopen them later, instead of letting them pile up.

It increases productivity a lot too.

Thanks both of you. I think ill stick with my 4790k then and keep that folder tactic in mind. :D