Windows RT upgrade to 8.1 Fails

Youbetternot

Microsoft Fails again, this time when you upgrade to 8.1 it can cause various sources cite boot configuration issues. Man Microsoft needs to get their stuff together. This is like apple's iOS 7 once it cam out already a way to hack. Then again a lot of people don't have a winddow RT

windowsrt81lead01.jpg

If you're one of the few people who own a Windows RT tablet (don't all raise your hands at once, now), you just got a chunk of your Saturday back. Citing a "situation affecting a limited number of users updating their Windows RT devices to Windows RT 8.1," Microsoft has pulled the upgrade from the Windows Store. The company hasn't supplied an explanation, though various sources cite boot configuration issues that can cause the update to fail.

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/19/dont-bother-trying-to-upgrade-to-windows-rt-8-1-today/

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

this gave me a good chuckle. 

This is my Lightsaber.          {[=]////]"[¬'/\Y/#####################################
This is my other Lightsaber. (T!!!!!!!T=:"|[\#####################################  #killedmywife 

This is like apple's iOS 7 once it cam out already a way to hack.

Aren't you glad people find them?

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

I cant update too.

I don't always have time to study, but when I do, I don't.

The upgrade through microsoft app definitely has issues on the surface pro.  Can't even play solitaire properly!

Ironically, using a 8.1 disc doesn't have issues, but it auto updates(even if win update is turned off!) after everything working fine and screws up all the drivers!  

My Rigs (past and present)

Windows 8.1 for Surface RT update is back up.

"Based on our investigations of a situation customers have encountered updating to Windows RT 8.1, we can confirm that as of now this is a Windows update issue only affecting Surface RT customers. While only less than 1 out of every 1,000 (or less than 0.1%) Surface RT customers who have installed Windows RT 8.1 have been impacted, improving their experience and ensuring their systems are fully operable as quickly as possible is our number one priority. We have made recovery media available for download along with actionable guidance for affected customers. We continue to work towards making the Windows RT 8.1 update available in the Windows Store again and apologize for any inconvenience. Further updates will be provided as they become available."

[...]

"This was due to a rare situation where firmware updates had not completed at the time of the update to RT 8.1. In most cases, if a customer encountered this issue the result was simply an extra reboot. However, for a very small percentage, the boot configuration data was affected which prevented a successful boot. We worked to quickly resolve the issue and now encourage customers to update their Surface RT devices. Surface Pro and 8.1 customers were not impacted by this issue."

Source: http://winsupersite.com/mobile-devices/windows-rt-81-update-returns

I updated to the full version of 8.1 and that had plenty of issues too. My USB 3 ports stopped working and all of my Steam games where messed up so trying different Nvidia drivers (was already up to date). I think I will be reinstalling 7 or 8 at the weekend.  

You need to install your USB 3.0 drivers.

Some people reported that Steam games needs to be re-installed... that is true... but no redownlaod needed, Steam will redect the files you have, make sure they match the server files, and re-install it, including any extra things to install like DirectX runtime.

Beside that, you need to be more specific. It must be noted that this is wrong discussion for this. Thi srefers to the Surface 1 (non pro) with Windows 8.1.

You can't install Steam on a Surface 1 device

You need to install your USB 3.0 drivers.

Some people reported that Steam games needs to be re-installed... that is true... but no redownlaod needed, Steam will redect the files you have, make sure they match the server files, and re-install it, including any extra things to install like DirectX runtime.

Beside that, you need to be more specific. It must be noted that this is wrong discussion for this. Thi srefers to the Surface 1 (non pro) with Windows 8.1.

You can't install Steam on a Surface 1 device

Yeah I know, I was pretty much just bashing Windows 8.1 in general, RT and Pro.My problems were worse than just needing to install/reinstall drivers and games, however. 

Anyway, the problems upgrading RT didn't surprise me at all. Microsoft have been pretty poor of late with updates in general. Look at all the patch Tuesday problems there have been.