R9 390 Bottleneck

SirDarknight

I recently got a Sapphire R9 390 Tri-X.Haven't hooked it up yet, waiting for the PSU. And you'll get a heart-attack when you hear what CPU I have. It's an i3-2120 :P I know it's gonna bottleneck as hell. But what I wanna know is how much.

I mean, how many FPS am I gonna lose over this CPU?

My current config :

i3-2120 3.30 GHz

Gigabyte H61M

8 GB DDR3 - 1600 MHz

Sapphire Nitro R9 390 Tri-X

1 TB HDD

Corsair VS650

Don't worry, I'm gonna get an i7-3770 soon.

i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz

Asrock Z77 Extreme4 

16GB DDR3 Corsair Ballistix RGB

Zotac 1070 Amp Extreme

1TB Western Digital

128GB ADATA SU800

630W Thermaltake Smart SE

Try it yourself? :P

i3-2130 even bottleneck my old 7950 in a few games mostly open world like GTA.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

4 minutes ago, SirDarknight said:

I recently got a Sapphire R9 390 Tri-X.Haven't hooked it up yet, waiting for the PSU. And you'll get a heart-attack when you hear what CPU I have. It's an i3-2120 :P I know it's gonna bottleneck as hell. But what I wanna know is how much.

My current config :

Before you upgrade your CPU, your Power Supply and Storage Drive could do with an upgrade.........

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Hum... Upgrade CPU first ???

Power supply is 650 wattm good enough.

Storage is HDD 1 TB , its not a SSD but not everyone wants to put his $$$ budget into loading time... :)

1 minute ago, smokefest said:

Hum... Upgrade CPU first ???

Power supply is 650 wattm good enough.

The quality of the unit is quite shitty. The amount of wattage is perfect fine.

1 minute ago, smokefest said:

Storage is HDD 1 TB , its not a SSD but not everyone wants to put his $$$ budget into loading time... :)

There is no excuse why an i7 rig doesn't/can't have an SSD............

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I wouldn't change a PSU if the wattage is good. Who cares about quality the guy didnt ask for how to get top quality PSU..... It would be a waste of $ to change that PSU if its working correctly.

Also having an i7 dosnt change anything at all concerning the need of a SSD.

I agree that SSD is op and a must, but it just not necessary in games.. it only help for the loading time. It is great in windows and applicatinos tho and personnaly, I would buy an SSD to at least 120 GB for the operating system :)

3 minutes ago, smokefest said:

I wouldn't change a PSU if the wattage is good. Who cares about quality the guy didnt ask for how to get top quality PSU..... It would be a waste of $ to change that PSU if its working correctly.

There's more to PSUs than just the wattage....

Also having an i7 dosnt change anything at all concerning the need of a SSD.

I've never seen a desktop PC with an i7 have a HDD as it's primary drive............. NEVER...........

I agree that SSD is op and a must, but it just not necessary in games.. it only help for the loading time. It is great in windows and applicatinos tho and personnaly, I would buy an SSD to at least 120 GB for the operating system :)

If he can afford an i7 then he may as well have an SSD

14 minutes ago, SirDarknight said:

My current config :

I'm still standing by my opinion......

3 minutes ago, smokefest said:

you obviously have no idea of the power draw figures for an R9 390 GPU...you do require a top notch unit to run these safely.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

No need to change a PSU if it does the work. He already paid for it cant you understand that.. The point of the post isnt to point out every thing that cud be better... ALL HIS entire pc cud be better we all knoow that. You simply dont change sumthin that aint broke. End of story.

Not having a SSD is not the best but it dosnt change anything in games. 

the guy asked for games purpose.

650 Watt is fine for r9 390.

Go buy a 1000 watt like all the people who spend money for useless things...

Just now, smokefest said:

No need to change a PSU if it does the work.

I really tried hard to be nice but you didn't get the hint.

You're being ignorant.

R9 390's require a GOOD Power Supply. his power supply is below Mediocre and is only better than those terrible OEM ones included in Prebuilts.

He already paid for it cant you understand that..

He can get a refund or return or resell it.

if he can propose to buy an i7 then surely he can buy a DECENT power supply.

The point of the post isnt to point out every thing that cud be bette

Oh ffs....

This isn't even "Could be better"..... This is how to salvage a badly designed parts list.

r... ALL HIS entire pc cud be better we all knoow that. You simply dont change sumthin that aint broke. End of story.

You have no idea what you're talking about and frankly your behavior is that of a troll.

Yes, but I am a responsible human being. As a technologically literate person, I inform people of issues with what they are doing if there is a deep underlying issue that should be fixed.

And? GTA V stutters like hell if you use a HDD.

4 minutes ago, smokefest said:

No need to change a PSU if it does the work. He already paid for it cant you understand that.. The point of the post isnt to point out every thing that cud be better... ALL HIS entire pc cud be better we all knoow that. You simply dont change sumthin that aint broke. End of story.

2 minutes ago, smokefest said:

you don't understand...there are shitty quality 750W PSU that will bust under heavy load...and there are top notch quality 550W (like the one i'm using in my own build) that can safely power an overclocked core i7 and an overclocked GTX 980ti without breaking a sweat...wattage doesnt mean anything and the corsair VS is a basement bargain chineese unit...it would not use it to power an R9 390 GPU, end of the story.

Also, yes he could upgrade is machine and be a death defying redneck by keep using the old PSU...but if the PSU fail it can and will most likely take down many other components with it...including is brand new graphics card...do you understand better now?!

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I have no strutter in GTA all my games are onmy HDD. 0 struttle.

Maybe you need help to configure your pc or build it ?

So OP is waiting for his VS650 PSU or upgrading to a new one?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

44 minutes ago, smokefest said:

No one here is recommending a 1000w PSU, and we all agreed that the watts on that PSU isn't the problem, what we are recommending is a better PSU than a Corsair VS series since they aren't the best out there and the R9 390 does require "clean" power. I personally would recommend a Seasonic S12II 620w ... but that's just me!

For reference;

1 hour ago, SirDarknight said:

*snip*

Your i3 is definately bottlenecking the 390, not sure by how much but here is a digitalfoundry video comparing the i3-4130 vs i3-6100

if you compare the 6100 and the 3770, they get roughly the same single-core performance but the 3770 has more than double the perf. on multi-core (I know userbenchmark isn't the most precise but it's a good guide for rough estimations).

So adding those two I'm sure you'll see a big difference when changing to a 3770!

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

OK. Guys, calm down!!! No reason to get so excited over something so petty! :P

First of all, I've already paid for the PSU & refund isn't possible (I chose it cuz it's the only 650W PSU within my budget), although it's not the best PSU in the world, it does it's job. I think I'll be fine if I don't try OCing. And will upgrade it when I have the money.

Secondly, my first priority is the CPU cuz it's definitely gonna bottleneck my GPU & I won't be able to get the bang for my buck.

Thirdly, loading time doesn't matter that much but SSD is in my list.

Thank you got your replies.! :D

i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz

Asrock Z77 Extreme4 

Zotac 1070 Amp Extreme

1TB Western Digital

128GB ADATA SU800

18 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

For reference;

Didn't know my PSU is tier 5, Still alive after almost 4 years of constant gaming. :P  

2 minutes ago, SirDarknight said:

Secondly, my first priority is the CPU cuz it's definitely gonna bottleneck my GPU & I won't be able to get the bang for my buck.

Thirdly, loading time doesn't matter that much but SSD is in my list.

Thank you got your replies.! :D

Use downsampling and cap your frame rate for "smoother" gaming when CPU bottleneck happen. :P

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

I've never seen a desktop PC with an i7 have a HDD as it's primary drive

Me has...I own one as the PC I use in Beijing...i7 3770 and other shizzle (quadro GPU however...great gaming performance you know...) as it was a machine my father's business used for rendering models and whatever so...only a 1TB hard drive :P 

11 minutes ago, SirDarknight said:

First of all, I've already paid for the PSU & refund isn't possible (I chose it cuz it's the only 650W PSU within my budget), although it's not the best PSU in the world, it does it's job. I think I'll be fine if I don't try OCing. And will upgrade it when I have the money.

Yeah I understand but it's just...sometimes a bad PSU will blow up if it's stressed (within ratings) for too long :/ (or if the temps inside the case get's over something like 40C)

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/nB3RsY/seasonic-power-supply-s12ii620bronze 

This is a much better and it's also decently cheap and yes I know you already have a PSU but wattage and efficiency=/=quality. I know plenty of people who's used shitty PSUs with high power consuming parts (me included) but after witnessing 3 PSUs blowing up (although they were sufficiently rated to handle load) I just like suggesting people to stay on the safe side :D 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

11 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Me has...I own one as the PC I use in Beijing...i7 3770 and other shizzle (quadro GPU however...great gaming performance you know...) as it was a machine my father's business used for rendering models and whatever so...only a 1TB hard drive :P 

Yeah I understand but it's just...sometimes a bad PSU will blow up if it's stressed (within ratings) for too long :/ (or if the temps inside the case get's over something like 40C)

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/nB3RsY/seasonic-power-supply-s12ii620bronze 

This is a much better and it's also decently cheap and yes I know you already have a PSU but wattage and efficiency=/=quality. I know plenty of people who's used shitty PSUs with high power consuming parts (me included) but after witnessing 3 PSUs blowing up (although they were sufficiently rated to handle load) I just like suggesting people to stay on the safe side :D 

But, that particular PSU doesn't have 2 8-pin PCI-E connectors (which I'll need for my 390)

i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz

Asrock Z77 Extreme4 

Zotac 1070 Amp Extreme

1TB Western Digital

128GB ADATA SU800

1 hour ago, smokefest said:

Oh dear god.

Austin had his house burn down because of a shitty PSU. Does OP want his house to burn down? No.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

How about EVGA 600B ?

51TEloWPxjL.jpg

i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz

Asrock Z77 Extreme4 

Zotac 1070 Amp Extreme

1TB Western Digital

128GB ADATA SU800

21 minutes ago, SirDarknight said:

How about EVGA 600B ?

Not great either...

29 minutes ago, SirDarknight said:

But, that particular PSU doesn't have 2 8-pin PCI-E connectors (which I'll need for my 390)

But seasonic's own website says otherwise (go to the cables tab) and reviews of this PSU...This isn't some cheapo no name chinese PSU you know...which has only like a single 6 pin on a 850watt xD 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

An OC'ed 480x is a bit faster than a 390x, but this is about what you should expect from your 390 with that i3. It would actually be even worse than this because he's just emulating an i3 using an i7 with a larger cache

As for the PSU, quality is more important than quantity. I'm using my 390 on a 550W but top quality PSU. Yours is a risk.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Get a seasonic made psu. They are THE BEST psu OEM ever. Plus, most of them are pretty cheap too. ?

Most probably the information on PCPartPicker is wrong.

1.PNG

2.PNG

3.PNG

As the information stated on Seasonic's website says otherwise, I'm gonna mark it as incorrect.

i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz

Asrock Z77 Extreme4 

Zotac 1070 Amp Extreme

1TB Western Digital

128GB ADATA SU800