Home Server Build

davidbuss

Hey guys! I got some stuff for Christmas and spent some of the money I got for my birthday so I've been working on the project quite a bit. I'll try not to bore you, here's what I've been working on:

So I got some stuff in the mail...

OrT22g6.jpg?2

Here it is. This was in the big box, the other box was just some cables and stuff:

0eN6cib.jpg?1

I also went to Lowes and got this for $70 off :)

YcUspme.jpg?1

I got some material stuff but I didn't really take any pictures of it. However, after some cutting...

he5NaeF.jpg?1

And filing...

PbEjiA3.jpg?1

And more cutting...

JV9ZZnP.jpg?1

We get this...

AWZkZDI.jpg?1

And put it all together to get this:

04yvKhf.jpg?1

We did have some casualties along the way though :(

QLZ1FdM.jpg?2

This will be the frame for the build and I will use it to build everything else around. If you havn't seen the CAD drawings, go look at them. They  will give you a better idea of what i'm doing. Tell me what you think!

Project MEGA - My New Main PC

Project NANO - A Scratchbuilt Home Server.

PcxlmCX.jpg?1

Yay! But uh....

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Yay! But uh....

That's odd. I don't think it's me though because they're all OK on my end and my friend who just checked it out for isn't having any trouble either.

What picture is it? I'll try re-posting it.

That's odd. I don't think it's me though because they're all OK on my end and my friend who just checked it out for isn't having any trouble either.

What picture is it? I'll try re-posting it.

Its a lot smaller than I expected

PcxlmCX.jpg?1

That's all I have for now; I'm practically glued to the door waiting for my other stuff to get here. That came via USPS, everything else comes from UPS.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Just tried re-posting the BBCode. Let me know if that works.

Success!

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Nice update :)

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

Sweet!

Z87 Blue Beast - - - Intel 4670k at 4.4 GHZ - GTX 770 - MSI Z87 MPOWER MAX - Seasonic 760W 80+ Platinum - Corsair 650D - Aquaero - H100i [CLICK]

Hey guys, just a quick update. I've started working on the panels to go on the frame, as well as the LED cover things. The one in the picture looks pretty beaten up, and it is but not nearly as bad as it looks. I might just re-do it anyway. Anyways, here ya go:

vXAudEJ.jpg?1

6m8n21S.jpg?3

Tell me what you think!

Awesome!

Z87 Blue Beast - - - Intel 4670k at 4.4 GHZ - GTX 770 - MSI Z87 MPOWER MAX - Seasonic 760W 80+ Platinum - Corsair 650D - Aquaero - H100i [CLICK]

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys! Another kind of boring update but trust me the project is coming along well. I just got done with finals so life is a little less busy (I have a five day weekend, thank God  :D) and I spent a couple hours working today. If you have been following along the whole time you know I want to incorporate some sort of small LCD and I decided to use an old portable DVD player I had lying around in my basement (I'm kind of a hoarder  :wacko:) but It was seriously a pain in the... well, It was very difficult to get working. When I took it apart I accidentally snapped the pins out of the connector for the controller (just look at the pictures, you will get it) that was used to change the mode to AV in and I finally got around to re-soldering the pins. It honestly took a good two hours because I've never soldered anything that small. I also re-soldered the speakers that I didn't think I was gonna need but that only took about 10 minutes including the fancy heat shrink and twisted wires. After I re-soldered the 10 or so pins I found out that I could just use the pin out of the the controller and solder the two wires that control mode together (yay wasted time!). Now every time I turn It on the screen automatically switches to AV in. I'm pretty proud of that  B). On top of no controller I epoxy puttied (that a word?) the on/off board in a less obtrusive position.  Without further ado, here ya go:

Mugshot:

rFbUK46.jpg?1

This is after I soldered the buttons back on. Can't really see them, but they're the board on the right:

lR5RrGP.jpg?1

Yay soldering! (It can actually be kind of relaxing when your not inhaling the fumes):

2YPTZOL.jpg?3

Close up of the board re-attached:

FyMDaFA.jpg?1

Testing:

30kww31.jpg?2

Here's the "smallest its going to get" version:

Egpe6ii.jpg?1

Tell me what you think guys and more to come soon!

Hey guys! I got some stuff for Christmas and spent some of the money I got for my birthday so I've been working on the project quite a bit. I'll try not to bore you, here's what I've been working on:

So I got some stuff in the mail...

OrT22g6.jpg?2

Here it is. This was in the big box, the other box was just some cables and stuff:

0eN6cib.jpg?1

I also went to Lowes and got this for $70 off :)

YcUspme.jpg?1

I got some material stuff but I didn't really take any pictures of it. However, after some cutting...

he5NaeF.jpg?1

And filing...

PbEjiA3.jpg?1

And more cutting...

JV9ZZnP.jpg?1

We get this...

AWZkZDI.jpg?1

And put it all together to get this:

04yvKhf.jpg?1

We did have some casualties along the way though :(

QLZ1FdM.jpg?2

This will be the frame for the build and I will use it to build everything else around. If you havn't seen the CAD drawings, go look at them. They  will give you a better idea of what i'm doing. Tell me what you think!

are you drilling metal with that bit which cause it to bend?because that bit is meant to drill concrete.

are you drilling metal with that bit which cause it to bend?because that bit is meant to drill concrete.

My dad was using the drill for something (don't know what) and he just left the bit in. I went to go get the drill (old drill, not new one) and dropped it like an idiot. It landed right on the bit so I'm surprised it didn't bend any more than it did. 

Hey guys! Another kind of boring update but trust me the project is coming along well. I just got done with finals so life is a little less busy (I have a five day weekend, thank God  :D) and I spent a couple hours working today. If you have been following along the whole time you know I want to incorporate some sort of small LCD and I decided to use an old portable DVD player I had lying around in my basement (I'm kind of a hoarder  :wacko:) but It was seriously a pain in the... well, It was very difficult to get working. When I took it apart I accidentally snapped the pins out of the connector for the controller (just look at the pictures, you will get it) that was used to change the mode to AV in and I finally got around to re-soldering the pins. It honestly took a good two hours because I've never soldered anything that small. I also re-soldered the speakers that I didn't think I was gonna need but that only took about 10 minutes including the fancy heat shrink and twisted wires. After I re-soldered the 10 or so pins I found out that I could just use the pin out of the the controller and solder the two wires that control mode together (yay wasted time!). Now every time I turn It on the screen automatically switches to AV in. I'm pretty proud of that  B). On top of no controller I epoxy puttied (that a word?) the on/off board in a less obtrusive position.  Without further ado, here ya go:

Always cool to see some custom electronics work, something you don't see too

often even in high-end builds.

thumb.gif

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Always cool to see some custom electronics work, something you don't see toooften even in high-end builds.thumb.gif

Thanks man!

Hey guys, small update. My families main router is a Time Capsule, from Apple, and we use it to backup our families macs. (Theirs, not mine, sorry if I gave anyone a heart attack, I do have a PC.) Since we use it for backups, I figured, why not just put it with the NAS, which will also be used for backups. This is a picture from in my closet where the two will be seated. If your wondering, I ran power and ethernet under the carpet in my room and into the closet. So, here it is:

x7n5b0s.jpg?1