Home Server Build

davidbuss

subbed, great renders BTW, are you a 3d artist, if not you might consider a side career in the art. That screen will be pretty cool when it's finished, but will you have a slide out keyboard or will it just display info?

I'm 15 so I haven't looked much into the career of 3d art lol, but I do enjoy working in CAD. I have an old wireless keyboard also left over from the old computer these parts came from that I will probably use but the screen will primarily display info. Any editing I have to do to software will be done on my main computer on the other side of the wall of my closet. That's why I have a DVI out in the design, so I can easily run a DVI cable from the computer to my monitor. I have also thought about a low-latency VNC software, but I haven't done any research into it. If the latency is low enough it would be preferable to a cable.

Project MEGA - My New Main PC

Project NANO - A Scratchbuilt Home Server.

I'm 15 so I haven't looked much into the career of 3d art lol, but I do enjoy working in CAD.

Well you seem to have a knack for it, if you keep working there could be a job future for you, and its never to early to start thinking of a career. You can actually get work as a kid as well. Commissioned works on the internet don't really rely on you being a certain age so if you are serious about modeling or need cash then you might consider freelancing. All you really need is a paypal or some other payment method and a place to showcase your work, a friend of mine suggests deviantART.

i9 25.6 GHz with NeuronThreading, 256gb 6000 MHz RAM, GTX 990 OC 3024MHz 12gb, Skeletal X99 motherboard, 1 Petabyte SSD, Fractal Design Humaniod R1 Case, Herbivore 10,000W PSU, Noctua NF16 LP Derma Cooler.

Probably the only Star Citizen player who is planning on a career in Journalism instead of piracy, mining, trading, exploration, military, station management, etc.

Generation 0: The first time you see this add 1 to the number and copy it into your sig. Consider it a social experiment.

Really nice, I have a idea now :)

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

It would probably be a good idea to put an exhaust fan in the back of the cabinet too, because otherwise you're really just blowing a little cool air in and recycling the warm air. Personal experience with one of the infamous oven box cases with pretty much no airflow.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

It would probably be a good idea to put an exhaust fan. If the cabinet is against a wall and it doesn't work out to fit in the back for what ever reason, you could add the exhaust fan on top of the cabinet or the buttom if thats not a problem. I would highly recommend having one. Great stuff so far! Looking forward to the next update.

Specs: | NZXT Phantom 410 | AMD FX 8350 | Cooler Master 212 Hyper EVO | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 | EVGA GTX 670 FTW+ SLI | Corsair Vengeance 16GB | Seagate 2TB & 1TB 7200RPM | Corsair Neutron 240GB | Corsair HX850 | Windows 7 64-Bit | Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2012 | Razer Deathadder 2012 | Dell 17" & ASUS 21.5" x2 Monitors | Blue Snowball | Audiotechnica M30X | 

The little shelf holding the motherboard looks like it's being held up by Meccano. Is it? ^_^

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

The little shelf holding the motherboard looks like it's being held up by Meccano. Is it? ^_^

Yup! Back from when I was a little kid. I was waiting for someone to notice  :D

Yup! Back from when I was a little kid. I was waiting for someone to notice  :D

Oh the memories :wub: I had lots of Meccano once upon a time.

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

Edit: I RESTARTED THIS ENTIRE PROJECT. GO TO THE BOTTOM OF PAGE 2 AND START FROM THERE TO SEE THE GOOD PART.

Hey guys! I had a half day of school on friday and quite a bit of time today so I have gotten a lot done in the past few days. It doesn't really look like it but most of what I have been doing is test fitting things and trying to get them to fit. Also, like I said before, I don't have the best of tools so this it's a challenge to get this to go smoothly and look nice. I also ran into a few problems along the way but mostly have sorted them out. Alright, heres what I've accomplished in the past few days:

Getting the boring stuff out of the way: I fixed up another cable. Here is it broken.

nLmlIB7.jpg?1

Heres the finished product.

pq6dWMp.jpg?1

So I continued my endeavor by cutting out a base, and then making some brackets to hold the motherboard tray. I cut both pieces of wood out with a hand saw so they were fairly off in their similarity. I did quite a bit of sanding to get them to line up. On a side note, if anyone has a jigsaw they want to donate I would gladly accept it  :P

22qbO1v.jpg?1

I had an old 80mm usb fan that I put a 3 pin connector on.

lG0GHPB.jpg?2

Here it is on the base.

9dhdqHC.jpg?1

Here it is with a the fan and motherboard tray. For those with OCD like me, ignore the zip tie, it will be gone when I'm done.

NcHKAGZ.jpg?1

Here are the hard drives attached 

3fHdjMm.jpg?2

Heres a better view of how I attached the hard drives. Basically what I did was used Meccano pieces to attach the tray and hard drives. For the hard drives I used two short pieces on the bottom and screwed them into the hard drive with normal screws. I also used one short piece on the top for support. I screwed the whole thing in by the bottom two pieces as seen in the picture. It's hard to explain so I might post more detailed pictures tomorrow.

yMLoDD0.jpg?3

Here is a picture of what the basic layout is. The power supply is not attached yet but that is where it will live. I'll figure it out in a later post.

C0FAnVc.jpg?2

I'm writing this at my geeky friends house so heres a little eye candy.  :)  (This is his rig BTW) @KenadyDwag44

cf3sqKc.jpg?1

And heres his dog (just for fun)

55BEruk.jpg?1

I plan on painting all of these parts black so it looks a little better. I ran in to a complication with the 24 pin not being long enough. I might try to extend it and if I do that I might just sleeve the cables anyway. That sounds like it would take more time than I have though so probably not.  :( If not I will most likely just order an extension. I also thought about just replacing the colored wires with black ones. I would like to replace the Meccano pieces with some aluminum L brackets. Hopefully that would look a little better. I'll probably post some updated sketchup drawings soon but like I said before, I'm at my friends house and I'm on my laptop so I can't post them tonight. Tell me what you think guys!

Oh the memories :wub: I had lots of Meccano once upon a time.

Ya, those and Legos were pretty much all I did in my childhood. Good times...  :rolleyes:

Hi Mr Dog, BTW nice rig

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

Cool idea. As of right now it looks weird but in time i can tell it will look really nice. The 3d pictures of the planned look might be a one of a kind build idea.

• 1 month later...

Alright it's been almost two months since I've posted anything and now that Christmas break is around I get a break from school and hockey and just life in general. Sadly my finals are after break so I don't have as much time as I would like. I just ordered some stuff for this project that's supposed to come tomorrow so I will post some pics of it once it arrives. I'm thinking I'm just gonna create a new topic for this build too so that I can completely start from the beginning. For now here is the re-vamped design for this test bench. This one should look a lot better because I'm planning on making it out of sheet metal. Also if you look at some of my previous sketchup screenshots, there is acrylic covering the cabinet but I think i'm just gonna leave it open now. That should allow for better air flow and all that good stuff because of the fact that it will be sitting in my closet. If you have read to this point I will stop boring you and give you some pictures:

aN5iYxI.png

MarA2p1.png?2

CJ2gOD6.png?1

FYSqFOa.png?1

The blue lines btw will be lights and that is not the motherboard I will be using; It was the only matx one I could find to download from the shared models on sketchup. Tell me what you guys think!

Come on man. MOAR PICS. I know I ask a lot, but this is killing me, since it looks cool.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Sweet

Come on man. MOAR PICS. I know I ask a lot, but this is killing me, since it looks cool.

I should be able to post some more today. Just waiting on my boxes to get here. 

qIFMu3j.jpg?3

I'm 100% sure that is a Fractal PCI slot fan controller.

How do I know?

I'm holding one in exactly the same state right now.

How thick was the wood you used? I'm making a case for a PC out of notebook components and I want to use wood too.

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett
Phone: Sony Xperia 5 II

Just for you man:

Just got this in the mail...

AcBYCZP.jpg?4

Its a lot smaller than I expected

rCKQitA.jpg?1

That's all I have for now; I'm practically glued to the door waiting for my other stuff to get here. That came via USPS, everything else comes from UPS.

I'm 100% sure that is a Fractal PCI slot fan controller.

How do I know?

I'm holding one in exactly the same state right now.

How thick was the wood you used? I'm making a case for a PC out of notebook components and I want to use wood too.

Good eye.  :D  It is indeed a Fractal fan controller. My friend didn't need it so he gave it to me.

As for the wood I just bought two, 2 ft. by 2 ft. pieces of craft plywood from Michaels (craft store) for like 5 bucks. I think the top piece is 1/16 in. thick and the bottom is about 1/8.

As for the wood I just bought two, 2 ft. by 2 ft. pieces of craft plywood from Michaels (craft store) for like 5 bucks. I think the top piece is 1/16 in. thick and the bottom is about 1/8.

Thanks. *converts inches into milimetres*

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett
Phone: Sony Xperia 5 II