AMD ZEN Hyperthreading?

yeah though they call it SMT

EDIT: simultaneous multithreading

CPU-i7 6700k O.C. 4.6Ghz-Motherboard-Asus z170-a-RAM-24gb DDR4-GPU-EVGA GTX 1080 FE-Case-Corsair 400c (white)-Storage-HDD: 2xWD Blue 1TB SSD: PNY SSDSC120GLC709B121-510 120GB-PSU-1000 watt coolermax-Display-ASUS VG248QE Black 24" 1080p 144 Hz -Cooling-Corsair H115i-Keyboard-G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX blues (Red backlight)-Mouse-Logitech G602-Sound-Logitech 5.1 z506

Need a budget headphone for under 100$? Sennheiser HD 558 Headphones

Got a Skylake CPU (k) Here is a guide to OC it!

I heard that AMD is making a equivalent to hyper threading, isn't that what they already tried doing. But it was under utilized and bottle necked by fetcher and OS scheduler and under utilized? Can someone help me out here. I am not an expert by any means. but having on zen still only one fetcher still cause the same results as are now occuring?

I like to ask a lot of questions. That is how I learn. Besides I am very curious person. I like to know how things work. I am a tinkerer.

4 minutes ago, Ronald Browen said:

I heard that AMD is making a equivalent to hyper threading, isn't that what they already tried doing. But it was under utilized and bottle necked by fetcher and OS scheduler and under utilized? Can someone help me out here. I am not an expert by any means. but having on zen still only one fetcher still cause the same results as are now occuring?

AMD is calling it SMT which is exactly the same as intel's hyper threading. you are correct when AMD "tried" *cough failed cough* do it but they are "trying" at it again with ZEN

CPU-i7 6700k O.C. 4.6Ghz-Motherboard-Asus z170-a-RAM-24gb DDR4-GPU-EVGA GTX 1080 FE-Case-Corsair 400c (white)-Storage-HDD: 2xWD Blue 1TB SSD: PNY SSDSC120GLC709B121-510 120GB-PSU-1000 watt coolermax-Display-ASUS VG248QE Black 24" 1080p 144 Hz -Cooling-Corsair H115i-Keyboard-G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX blues (Red backlight)-Mouse-Logitech G602-Sound-Logitech 5.1 z506

Just now, xephoneration said:

AMD is calling it SMT which is exactly the same as intel's hyper threading. you are correct when AMD "tried" *cough failed cough* do it but they are "trying" at it again with ZEN

hopefully it works and is cheaper than intel. I am all about trying to get the most I can with the limited amount of money I have

Just now, Ronald Browen said:

hopefully it works and is cheaper than intel. I am all about trying to get the most I can with the limited amount of money I have

I do not have my hopes high for Zen tbh, it would be awesome for AMD to be a competitor in the CPU grade consumer market again and we can have another tech race so intel can get off their lazy arse. 

lets face the fact this what has/have been happening, but when zen comes out we shall see.

2 minutes ago, xephoneration said:

I do not have my hopes high for Zen tbh, it would be awesome for AMD to be a competitor in the CPU grade consumer market again and we can have another tech race so intel can get off their lazy arse. 

I am also hoping that too. I would be nice for compitition because that pushes progress and, hopefully, lowers prices.

12 minutes ago, Ronald Browen said:

SMT(hyperthreading) is different to modules.

Hyperthreading is one cores that shows as 2 or more threades to reduce bottlenecks inside the core

Modules have 2 Integer units, so they can do 2 streams of code at once, but they had only a singe FP unit. That design was't bad, it was implemented bad with a low ipc on a old process.

18 minutes ago, xephoneration said:

lets face the fact this what has/have been happening, but when zen comes out we shall see.

Soooo True!!!   xD

16 minutes ago, Ronald Browen said:

With the Bulldozer family of CPU architectures, AMD used something called CMT, which is somewhat different. It actually provides more hardware resources per "thread" than SMT.

But with the Zen architecture, they're switching to SMT, like Intel.

Note that hyperthreading/SMT isn't always utilized that well either. It's just much less of a problem because each Intel core, without hyperthreading, had plenty of performance. AMD's problem was their performance per core, and CMT was not really the cause of that (or at least not the only cause).

14 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

SMT(hyperthreading) is different to modules.

Hyperthreading is one cores that shows as 2 or more threades to reduce bottlenecks inside the core

Modules have 2 Integer units, so they can do 2 streams of code at once, but they had only a singe FP unit. That design was't bad, it was implemented bad with a low ipc on a old process.

I also heard that it was under utilized and was bottlenecked due to a scheduler bug on windows 7, I heard that they patched that in windows 10? is any of that accurate?

13 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

With the Bulldozer family of CPU architectures, AMD used something called CMT, which is somewhat different. It actually provides more hardware resources per "thread" than SMT.

But with the Zen architecture, they're switching to SMT, like Intel.

Note that hyperthreading/SMT isn't always utilized that well either. It's just much less of a problem because each Intel core, without hyperthreading, had plenty of performance. AMD's problem was their performance per core, and CMT was not really the cause of that (or at least not the only cause).

Can you go into more detail about that? I am curious

Just now, Ronald Browen said:

I also heard that it was under utilized and was bottlenecked due to a scheduler bug on windows 7, I heard that they patched that in windows 10? is any of that accurate?

Yep. The scheduler was handing processes to any core, which was preforming worse thatn giving it so that you use one core in each module first than you use the other one, so it was using core 1,3,5,7 first now. It has ben fixed in linux, freebsd, windows 7 and newer now.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yep. The scheduler was handing processes to any core, which was preforming worse thatn giving it so that you use one core in each module first than you use the other one, so it was using core 1,3,5,7 first now. It has ben fixed in linux, freebsd, windows 7 and newer now.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Nice. That is good to know

Thanks for all the good info so far. I have a lot of questions now that I am getting into PC gaming.

18 minutes ago, xephoneration said:

Not really. CMT had potential, developers didn't jump on that, and unlike Intel, AMD isn't going to release a "new" generation of miniscule improvement as a money grab.

Some of Intel's shady business practices 10 years ago didn't help AMD financially or in regards of the x86 cross patent agreement.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Not really. CMT had potential, developers didn't jump on that, and unlike Intel, AMD isn't going to release a "new" generation of miniscule improvement as a money grab.

Some of Intel's shady business practices 10 years ago didn't help AMD financially or in regards of the x86 cross patent agreement.

Intel never wanted to help AMD they just wanted to keep AMD in buisness so they were not considered a monopoly. and AMD licenced 64 bit to intel with progress in mind and to make sure they did not dominate the market. If only intel had as good of intentions other than profit. we could possibly have seen a lot more progress, and my favorite, lower prices.

2 minutes ago, Ronald Browen said:

Intel never wanted to help AMD they just wanted to keep AMD in buisness so they were not considered a monopoly. and AMD licenced 64 bit to intel with progress in mind and to make sure they did not dominate the market. If only intel had as good of intentions other than profit. we could possibly have seen a lot more progress, and my favorite, lower prices.

Thanks for putting it in the long version.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

9 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

So basically Zen won't be much better?

Just now, Drak3 said:

your welcome. I have been doing a lot of research about all sorts of PC hardware and sofware in the last 2 months. I have gone from knowing some to trying to learn every possible thing I can so I can make better buying decisions later on with my gaming PC

1 minute ago, Ronald Browen said:

your welcome. I have been doing a lot of research about all sorts of PC hardware and sofware in the last 2 months. I have gone from knowing some to trying to learn every possible thing I can so I can make better buying decisions later on with my gaming PC

Good to know I am getting thing right. All this work has paid off. I am hoping to go to college for computers, eventually

6 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I love it when experts/enthusiasts say I got something right. I don't like to be the guy posting mis information.