$500ish office computer build

Randomsteve

So I have been tasked by the company I work for to build 2 new office computers. They didn't really give me a strict budget to follow but as close to $500 as possible is definitely preferred.

Requirements are pretty loose for this build but heres a general list of what we need.

$500ish price range

SSD boot drive

Windows 10 OS

8gbs ram minimum

CD/DVD drive

as fast as and future proof as possible for the money.

No bigger then a mid tower, smaller only if its not gonna make a difference heat wise.

Clean looking case, preferably black.

We do not need any monitors, Keyboards, mice or any other peripherals at this time.

Like I said this is just gonna be an office computer. We run basic programs like Quick Books, Excel, Word, Email, Chrome, and the like and we have a few custom programs that we use for our business that have a similar workload to Excel or Word or something, we also occasionally work with pictures and do our scheduling on Google Calendar. Oh, and all document type files get backed up to a NAS about once a day and then manually purged from the desktop whenever they are no longer needed. That's pretty much it though no real heavy work loads put on these computers but we do a fair bit of multitasking having at least 4 or 5 programs and a handful of Chrome tabs open at any given time. I have also been told by the boss that they don't want to see any kind of slow down from these computers under such work loads. Basically we want the slowest part to be the person using the computer and never the computer itself. :P

So with that said heres what I've got so far. http://pcpartpicker.com/list/WkfDjc 

I went with an Intel processor because I just really haven't had good luck with getting the power I want out of AMD Cpus in the past but Idk maybe thats the wrong decision.

I went with that Gigabyte MATX board because of the 3 different On board video plugs and its plethora of usb ports both of which are needed, but as we have already established in a previous thread my MoBo picking skills are rusty so please point out something better.

I grabbed 8gbs of Ram because are current computers only have 4Gbs and its definitely not enough

I grabbed the Corsair case because it fit the remaining budget, had a clean look (Important because its going in an office, not a gamers bedroom :P) and seemed to be of good quality.

and then lastly a DVD/CD drive for the occasional legacy program we still have on disc, and Windows 10 ofc. 

That's what I've got so far and that's my thought process for the components I've picked out so far but I am sure all of you great minds out there will have some great suggestions for me. :) Thanks for being awesome!

Oh good point, I didn't really do any research on the PSU, just grabbed a cheap decent reviewed 550W one. Let me know if anyone has a good suggestion on a budget oriented PSU for this build that is well reviewed. Do keep in mind I personally want at least a semi Modular if not Fully Modular PSU because I hate building simple builds like this with all those blasted cables everywhere. :P 

Well the AMD FX-8320 might be a good option for you as it is a great business class CPU that excels at multitasking. It is an octa-core (quad-core with something similar to Intel's hyperthreading) processor meaning it will handle multiple Chrome tabs and several tables of Excel at once better than a dual-core. 

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

What's the IT setup at the company? you may need to get Windows 10 Pro, (Home doesn't have Bitlocker and can't join a domain.) Or there may be some business license agreement (Volume Licensing) in place in which case you might not need to buy a key at all.

Same questions for office, Are you using 365? or have you already got a key etc.

Edit: Are the other machines on Windows 10? If not it may be better to stick to what ever version they are on until you are ready to move the entire company over.

Edited by spexiono

Intel Celeron 2.4Ghz - 16GB DDR4 RAM - 980 ti

9 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

Well the AMD FX-8320 might be a good option for you as it is a great business class CPU that excels at multitasking. It is an octa-core (quad-core with something similar to Intel's hyperthreading) processor meaning it will handle multiple Chrome tabs and several tables of Excel at once better than a dual-core. 

Hmm so is Windows 10 Multi threaded enough to justify dropping Single Core Clock speed in exchange for more cores?

10 minutes ago, spexiono said:

What's the IT setup at the company? you may need to get Windows 10 Pro, (Home doesn't have Bitlocker and can't join a domain.) Of course there may be some business license (Volume Licensing) in place in which case you might not need to buy a key at all.

Same questions for office, Are you using 365? or have you already got a key etc.

Good points. We are a small company and won't be needing the extra features Pro provides so we will be able to stick with Home. You bring up a good point about 365 and I honestly don't know the situation with that, but either way I will be making the assumption that if we do need new keys it will be a separate expense from the actual hardware.

7 minutes ago, gtx1060=value said:

Not sure I see the need for such an expensive SSD. A 512Gb SSD may be something I want to consider but not for double the price. Performance gains are already going to be massive considering these computers are going to be replacing computers with mechanical drives in there to begin with. 

I like the case swap, though the non existent cable management has me a little worried.

1 minute ago, Randomsteve said:

Hmm so is Windows 10 Multi threaded enough to justify dropping Single Core Clock speed in exchange for more cores?

Well, yes. Windows 10 tends to even the load quite well actually. When I have word, multiple tabs of excel spreadsheets open, and countless tabs of Chrome being used, the CPU is evenly spreading the load across all 8 "cores". It runs very smooth and snappy as well I might add. I guarantee you the FX-8320 will handle multitasking better than a dual core i3. I can post screenshots if you would like?

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

6 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

Well, yes. Windows 10 tends to even the load quite well actually. When I have word, multiple tabs of excel spreadsheets open, and countless tabs of Chrome being used, the CPU is evenly spreading the load across all 8 "cores". It runs very smooth and snappy as well I might add. I guarantee you the FX-8320 will handle multitasking better than a dual core i3. I can post screenshots if you would like?

Nah you don't have to go to the trouble. I totally believe you and thank you for pointing that out. So i'll throw the FX-8320 in there instead http://pcpartpicker.com/list/fdQ4pb but that means a different MoBo. Any suggestions?

Edit: Oh and different ram as well so suggestions there to please :)

Edited by Randomsteve

Ooh

Just realized the  FX-8320  doesn't have any on board graphics. I don't know how I feel about that, not sure paying extra for a dedicated GPU is really worth it. What do you guys think? Remember I am still trying to keep this computer down around the $500 mark.

The build is solid, but I have a few suggestions :):

• Consider an mATX case. The motherboard will fit more comfortably and the smaller size is more flexible in an office environment.
  • You might consider the MX300 ssd. Slightly larger and I tend to stay away from Kingston ssd.
  • No need for a modular psu in an office system. In fact it is a detriment as adding a powered component means one may have to go looking for the appropriate power cable. The system will be assembled, buttoned up, and left alone (hopefully), and appearances are not material.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($110.88 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B150M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($73.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($40.88 @ NCIX US) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($67.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($45.99 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($39.99 @ Newegg) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  ($17.88 @ OutletPC) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($85.70 @ My Choice Software) 
Total: $483.29
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-02 23:34 EDT-0400

You might also consider a mini-ITX build. Smaller and has onboard WiFi.

Spoiler

Motherboard: ASRock H110M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($67.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($40.88 @ NCIX US) 
Case: Fractal Design Core 500 Mini ITX Desktop Case  ($59.99 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($39.99 @ Newegg) 
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSC0B DVD/CD Writer  ($13.99 @ Newegg) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($85.70 @ My Choice Software) 
Total: $487.41
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-02 23:52 EDT-0400

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

2 hours ago, Randomsteve said:

if the tasks you're gonna do can support multiple cores(8, since the fx 83xx has 8 cores), the fx 83xx will be better. 

http://www.techspot.com/review/1087-best-value-desktop-cpu/page2.html

the fx 8300 beats the i3 in microsoft excel 2013 and 7-zip, while matching it in photoshop. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

FX8300 build, if your apps love many cores(do some research on this)

CPU: AMD FX-8300 3.3GHz 8-Core Processor  ($113.94 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX 300 55.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($9.99 @ Newegg) stock cooler's loud as hell.
Motherboard: Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($36.98 @ Newegg) has onboard iGPU so you don't have to pay an extra $20-30.
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($36.23 @ NCIX US) 
Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($109.99 @ NCIX US) can drop this to 240gb if you don't need so much space.
Case: Fractal Design Core 1100 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($26.99 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($39.99 @ Newegg) modular is fine and good, but good luck if you need to plug something in and the cables go missing.
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($84.88 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $472.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-03 00:14 EDT-0400

if your tasks don't use more cores:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B150M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($63.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($38.98 @ Newegg) 
Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($109.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $489.68
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-03 00:17 EDT-0400

if you wanna save space, http://pcpartpicker.com/list/fY6wYr

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Spoiler
24 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX 300 55.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($9.99 @ Newegg) stock cooler's loud as hell.
Motherboard: Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($36.98 @ Newegg) has onboard iGPU so you don't have to pay an extra $20-30.
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($36.23 @ NCIX US) 
Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($109.99 @ NCIX US) can drop this to 240gb if you don't need so much space.
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($39.99 @ Newegg) modular is fine and good, but good luck if you need to plug something in and the cables go missing.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B150M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($63.98 @ Newegg) 

Wait, as far as I can tell the  FX-8300 doesn't have integrated graphics, yet you have a MoBo with on board graphics support and No dedicated GPU? What am I missing here?

Just now, Randomsteve said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Wait, as far as I can tell the  FX-8300 doesn't have integrated graphics, yet you have a MoBo with on board graphics support and No dedicated GPU? What am I missing here?

the integrated graphics can either be in the processor or motherboard. in this case, the iGPU is in the motherboard, so you don't need a dedicated graphics card.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A78LMUSB3/specifications/

3 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

the integrated graphics can either be in the processor or motherboard. in this case, the iGPU is in the motherboard, so you don't need a dedicated graphics card.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A78LMUSB3/specifications/

Holy...... How did I never know that this was a thing? Well that is pretty sweet. Thanks

1 hour ago, brob said:

The build is solid, but I have a few suggestions

:):

• Consider an mATX case. The motherboard will fit more comfortably and the smaller size is more flexible in an office environment.
  • You might consider the MX300 ssd. Slightly larger and I tend to stay away from Kingston ssd.
  • No need for a modular psu in an office system. In fact it is a detriment as adding a powered component means one may have to go looking for the appropriate power cable. The system will be assembled, buttoned up, and left alone (hopefully), and appearances are not material.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B150M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($73.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($45.99 @ NCIX US) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  ($17.88 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $483.29
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-02 23:34 EDT-0400

You might also consider a mini-ITX build. Smaller and has onboard WiFi.

Reveal hidden contents

Motherboard: ASRock H110M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($67.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Fractal Design Core 500 Mini ITX Desktop Case  ($59.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $487.41
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-02 23:52 EDT-0400

A mATX case is a good idea, Not a huge fan of going smaller then that, Idk probably just personal preference more then anything else but having at least a decent sized case always seems nice, and we already have Mid size towers in the office anyway. mATX seems like a nice mid ground to me, and I like that case you linked quite a bit. SSD looks nice as well. The power supply is, meh. Your right that we don't need a modular PSU, and that cords could get lost or whatever, but I just kinda hate building without one. Having all those dang cords in the way constantly drives me nuts. I don't know, if I can't find a reliable semi-modular PSU for a decent price then I go with this one.

1 hour ago, herman mcpootis said:

if the tasks you're gonna do can support multiple cores(8, since the fx 83xx has 8 cores), the fx 83xx will be better. 

http://www.techspot.com/review/1087-best-value-desktop-cpu/page2.html

the fx 8300 beats the i3 in microsoft excel 2013 and 7-zip, while matching it in photoshop. 

Looks like the AMD is better at multitasking in Windows then the i3 and now that I know that some MoBo's have on board graphics I'll probably go that way.

1 hour ago, herman mcpootis said:

Good to know that the stock cooler is loud haha, noise isn't gonna be a huge issue in the office but that cooler looks nice (Gotta love 120mm fans) and I do hate loud CPU coolers. Awesome. 

wow, should have completely read though your post, didn't even catch that you mention the on board graphics. My bad. Nice looking board though. 

I've got that exact same Ram in one of my computers, totally forgot about that. Great suggestion.

You've cut down costs on so many other parts might as well grab a bigger SSD, more storage never can hurt that's for sure.

You have both now linked the same PSU, must be a good one. Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and get a non modular after all :o hahaha

What do you think of this http://pcpartpicker.com/list/bdm9Cy Different case, not super in love with the Fractal 1100 just personal preference really. And I wanted a Motherboard with a USB 3.0 header to support the cooler master case.

6 minutes ago, Randomsteve said:

What do you think of this http://pcpartpicker.com/list/bdm9Cy Different case, not super in love with the Fractal 1100 just personal preference really. And I wanted a Motherboard with a USB 3.0 header to support the cooler master case.

its fine, but why that mobo? the asus one is just as good and cheaper.

Just now, herman mcpootis said:

its fine, but why that mobo? the asus one is just as good and cheaper.

Only reason is the Usb 3.0 header that is has. I didn't see another board for any cheaper with an on board GPU and a Usb 3.0 header 

2 minutes ago, Randomsteve said:

Only reason is the Usb 3.0 header that is has. I didn't see another board for any cheaper with an on board GPU and a Usb 3.0 header 

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/DnYXsY/msi-motherboard-760gmap34fx few bucks cheaper

6 minutes ago, Randomsteve said:

I've got that exact same Ram in one of my computers, totally forgot about that.

You've cut down costs on so many other parts might as well grab a bigger SSD, more storage never can hurt that's for sure.

I personally would invest more in the CPU itself rather than more storage. you really should need much. Microsoft reccomends 20GB for windows, atleast 3GB for Office 2016, so that 240GB SSD should be more than enough. You're not exactly installing steam games on this machine.

1 minute ago, herman mcpootis said:

No HDMI port sadly. Hdmi is pretty common around the office, would rather spend a few extra bucks and have it and not need it then save a few bucks and end up needing it in the future.

1 minute ago, spexiono said:

I personally would invest more in the CPU itself rather than more storage. you really should need much. Microsoft reccomends 20GB for windows, atleast 3GB for Office 2016, so that 240GB SSD should be more than enough. You're not exactly installing steam games on this machine.

Good point. So if I dropped down to the 240 that'd save $47 any CPU suggestions that make good use of that extra cash?

1 minute ago, Randomsteve said:

No HDMI port sadly. Hdmi is pretty common around the office, would rather spend a few extra bucks and have it and not need it then save a few bucks and end up needing it in the future.

Good point. So if I dropped down to the 240 that'd save $47 any CPU suggestions that make good use of that extra cash?

i5 6400 if you can.

14 minutes ago, Randomsteve said:

.... The power supply is, meh. Your right that we don't need a modular PSU, and that cords could get lost or whatever, but I just kinda hate building without one. Having all those dang cords in the way constantly drives me nuts. I don't know, if I can't find a reliable semi-modular PSU for a decent price then I go with this one.

The most important aspect of an office pc psu is reliability. In my experience it is the most common point of failure. Mostly because many builders skimp on the component.

I doubt one could find a better psu than the Seasonic at the price point. This review is dated but I believe the currently shipping models are similar, http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/seasonic-s12ii-bronze-430-w-power-supply-review/11/.

What I do with the unused cabled is bundle them with a tie wrap. In the N200 there is room between the psu and drive cage. Remember, once the system is built and tested, it is very likely the box will never be reopened until end-of-life.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

3 minutes ago, brob said:

What I do with the unused cabled is bundle them with a tie wrap. In the N200 there is room between the psu and drive cage. Remember, once the system is built and tested, it is very likely the box will never be reopened until end-of-life.

Agreed. Another point I feel like adding is what would you even do with the extra cables? They'll just get lost in a couple of months and you're left with a computer with the bare minimum amount of cables. Non-modular is a pain but will be fine in the long run.

At work on my phone so i haven't had a chance to look around at a build built around the i5 6400 yet but i do like the idea. 

Seasonics are great i agree with that.  Gonna go with that just because yhey are so reliable. 

As far as the extra cords with a modular PSU i have never had a problem with that.  I've got a drawer in my computer building storage dresser dedicated just to storing all my extra cables (video, power, data,  ect)  and all the extra PSU cables get put in there as well. In fact I've already got a few extra sets in there from previous builds that i pull from whenever i do some upgrading or need to change things around. 

Its all personal preference and your right with this build i plan to slap them together,  turn it on and never open it again (unlike my home PC which i seem to always be changing something) so iy really doesn't matter.