Getting my i5-2500k to 5ghz 24/7

As title says. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience and has a decent understanding of what 5ghz took aswell as if theres any of the minor settings you can adjust to reach a steadier result.

My specs are as follows:

Case: Fractal Design Define R5
PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 PC12800/1600MHz CL9 2x4gb
CPU: i5 2500k @ 4.6Ghz, 1.315v
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
GPU: PowerColor TurboDuo R9 280 @ 1100mhz core clock & 1450mhz memory clock
Motherboard: Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 120gb

HDD1: Hitachi HTS547575A9E384 750gb

HDD2: Hitachi HDT721025SLA380 250gb

If there's any more info you need please just post below and i'll do my best to find out.

Appreciate any and all answers!

UPDATE: After trying out different settings and such I ended up getting a stable 5ghz, although at 1,476vcore... Which ran 50c-ish degrees idle and peaked at 85- which is way too high for my personal tastes. I ended up loweriing it to 4,8ghz and managed to get it stable at 1,380vcore. The temps were drastically improved aswell. With mid-high 30s. And after running prime95 while I slept for about 12+ hours with no crashes and not a single degree past 74C, although it was mostly in the low 60s. I think that's how i'll leave it. It's a shame I can't be able to reach 5ghz on terms which i'm personally fine with,

I greatly appreciate all the help and discussion in this thread, You guys are amazing! Thanks to everyone who posted in this thread!

Edited by chyzerox
Update

4 minutes ago, chyzerox said:

As title says. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience and has a decent understanding of what 5ghz took aswell as if theres any of the minor settings you can adjust to reach a steadier result.

My specs are as follows:

Case: Fractal Design Define R5
PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 PC12800/1600MHz CL9 2x4gb
CPU: i5 2500k @ 4.6Ghz, 1.315v
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
GPU: PowerColor TurboDuo R9 280 @ 1100mhz core clock & 1450mhz memory clock
Motherboard: Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 120gb

HDD1: Hitachi HTS547575A9E384 750gb

HDD2: Hitachi HDT721025SLA380 250gb

If there's any more info you need please just post below and i'll do my best to find out.

Appreciate any and all answers!

Most chips can run at 4.5GHz pretty much as a maximum. You need a very good chip to hit 5.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

Just now, NinjaJc01 said:

Most chips can run at 4.5GHz pretty much as a maximum. You need a very good chip to hit 5.

As of right now im running 4,6ghz pretty cool. just wanna see if I can reach 5ghz for the sake of 5ghz.

1 minute ago, Matias_Chambers said:

And/or pretty high voltages. (1.4+)

Unless it's a REALLY good chip.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

Just now, Matias_Chambers said:

And/or pretty high voltages. (1.4+)

from what i've heard, as long as temps stay in check you should be fine going that far. as long as you don't go past 1.5. preferably you'd want to stay away from that though.

More vcore. I was running 5ghz since the launch of the 2500k up until recently. I had to back it down to 4.7 . :(

edit: 1.45v

2 minutes ago, chyzerox said:

As of right now im running 4,6ghz pretty cool. just wanna see if I can reach 5ghz for the sake of 5ghz.

Yeah, but not 24/7.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, NinjaJc01 said:

Unless it's a REALLY good chip.

The max safe voltage for a 2500K is 1.52v...

Just now, chyzerox said:

Just increase the clockspeed by like 100 MHz at a time. Stesstest it for 5 minutes each time. Once you get a crash try a higher voltage. Make sure to monitor temps. You don't want temps over 85C. And I wouldn't go over 1.45V. Once you find the highest overclock you can get. Do a stress-test for at least 12 hours to make sure it's stable. 

1 minute ago, NinjaJc01 said:

Yeah, but not 24/7.

Why not? I ran 5ghz for 5 years on my 2500k with noctua nh d-14. 

1 minute ago, Notree said:

More vcore. I was running 5ghz since the launch of the 2500k up until recently. I had to back it down to 4.7 . :(

edit: 1.45v

what about the other settings? such as pll for an example.

6 minutes ago, NinjaJc01 said:

4.5GHZ under 1.4V is easy...

9 minutes ago, NinjaJc01 said:

wouldn't it also depend on what cooler you're running?

4 minutes ago, chyzerox said:

what about the other settings? such as pll for an example.

Every chips going to be different. But I had pll on auto.

IIRC i ran my 2700K at 1.5V for 5GHz. 

Sandy Bridge loves voltage. Don't be afraid to give it some. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Just now, DildorTheDecent said:

IIRC i ran my 2700K at 1.5V for 5GHz. 

Sandy Bridge loves voltage. Don't be afraid to give it some. 

damn thats pretty crazy... did you run that 24/7? and with what cooler?

1 minute ago, Notree said:

Every chips going to be different. But I had pll on auto.

alright. i'll try with 1,45 as a starting point to see if it needs higher or if I can try to shave it down a little.

12 minutes ago, Bubblewhale said:

The max safe voltage for a 2500K is 1.52v...

Who told you that nonsense? o.O

1 minute ago, chyzerox said:

damn thats pretty crazy... did you run that 24/7? and with what cooler?

Yeah. 

Wasn't too difficult with a 1260mm radiator. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

5 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

That was considered the max voltage. It was all about keeping your temps low.

Just now, Bubblewhale said:

Intel spec sheet said 1.52V and under 72C...

Sandy Bridge must be really easy to kill then :S
The Intel specsheet of Skylake CPUs says something of up to 1.9v is fine and covered by warranty.

8 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

It's should be fairly common knowledge that Sandy had considerably higher "safe" voltages than Haswell...

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

4 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Sandy Bridge must be really easy to kill then :S
The Intel specsheet of Skylake CPUs says something of up to 1.9v is fine and covered by warranty.

There's a difference with 32nm and 14nm as well...

11 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Sandy Bridge must be really easy to kill then:S

You come in here calling things nonsense. And continue with more nonsense.  "must be really easy to kill then " 9_9