Poor video quality

So i have a video camera that records at around 25 fps at 1080p. I am recording footage for sports coursework and so i need to edit it down into all my best moments. When i put the files onto my PC and open them with the inbuilt film/tv player with windows 10 they are in great quality, no problems. But i cannot do any ediiting or merging of all the clips as it is just a player, not editing software. However i am using davinci resolve to edit and when i open the clips in this software they appear to have lines across the footage and make it look slightly distorted and not the 1080p it was before. Just wondering if anyone has any advice or has come across the problem before? The files are in MTS if that helps. Thanks and any help is much appreciated.

when you edit, often software will downscale the image while scrubbing. you can usually change a setting but it will reduce performance. try exporting part of it and look at the quality there.

9 minutes ago, Beeeyeee said:

when you edit, often software will downscale the image while scrubbing. you can usually change a setting but it will reduce performance. try exporting part of it and look at the quality there.

Yep, during editing the video is played at a much lower quality in order to use less processing power. it would be laggy as heck if it were to play at full 1080p 25Hz when editing

“sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic still going to require driver rollbacks when it stops working for no reason“

1 hour ago, james_broad said:

So i have a video camera that records at around 25 fps at 1080p. I am recording footage for sports coursework and so i need to edit it down into all my best moments. When i put the files onto my PC and open them with the inbuilt film/tv player with windows 10 they are in great quality, no problems. But i cannot do any ediiting or merging of all the clips as it is just a player, not editing software. However i am using davinci resolve to edit and when i open the clips in this software they appear to have lines across the footage and make it look slightly distorted and not the 1080p it was before. Just wondering if anyone has any advice or has come across the problem before? The files are in MTS if that helps. Thanks and any help is much appreciated.

Which camera are you using?  What others have said about NLEs showing you a lower resolution version to improve editing performance is one possibility why it looks like the quality sucks.  However there could be another possibility.  If your camera is recording interlaced footage instead of progressive footage.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

1 hour ago, Thorimus said:

Yep, during editing the video is played at a much lower quality in order to use less processing power. it would be laggy as heck if it were to play at full 1080p 25Hz when editing

Not really, 1080p25 footage is not really heavy.  A fairly decent computer should be able to handle it.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

17 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Not really, 1080p25 footage is not really heavy.  A fairly decent computer should be able to handle it.

Resolution and framerate are only a fraction of what makes the filesize. Codec, bitrate and color depth is what matters.

The Enforcer V3 (R.I.P 23/12/2014 - 28/04/2015)

The Enforcer V4 (Coming soon.)

1 hour ago, matetx2012 said:

Resolution and framerate are only a fraction of what makes the filesize. Codec, bitrate and color depth is what matters.

A 4 hour long 10-bit 4:2:2 50mbps 1080p25 video I recorded with one of my cameras is approximately 100GB in size.  I don't have any problems working with it in full resolution in Premiere on a 4 year old MacBook pro without the dedicated GPU.  I seriously doubt he has a video file that large.

4 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

A 4 hour long 10-bit 4:2:2 50mbps 1080p25 video I recorded with one of my cameras is approximately 100GB in size.  I don't have any problems working with it in full resolution in Premiere on a 4 year old MacBook pro without the dedicated GPU.  I seriously doubt he has a video file that large.

after how I have understood video editing and codecs, if you have two videos of the same, at the same resolution, same framrate, same bit, a less compressed codec (even if two codecs are almost lossless) is easier to run for the most part  in video editing software than more compressed ones.

Like My PC lagged in a video editing software (not that much), (when jumping in the video and playing right way, it started lagging after some sec) but when I converted it to something with less compression, it worked better (but used more storage ofc.) 

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking