Painting Plastic

willielikesmonkeys

So I don't like the grey plastic that came stock on my current case (it was the cheapest i could find at fry's at the time) and am considering painting it. I have NO idea where to start and was curious where I should start looking first to get an idea on how to attempt this?

Ginger (Main Desktop):

AMD A10 5800K / MSI Twin Frozr iii Radeon HD 7850 / Corsair XMS 8GB Dual Channel @ 1333MHz / MSI FM2-A75MA-E35

Spray paint would work, no need to get fancy

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

Cans of spray paint from a hardware store will work fine. Primer is optional, either of matte, semi-gloss, or gloss finishes will work on plastic.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

Cans of spray paint from a hardware store will work fine. Primer is optional, either of matte, semi-gloss, or gloss finishes will work on plastic.

Spray paint would work, no need to get fancy

Thank you guys so much for the quick reply. And I'm glad to hear its really that easy.

Ginger (Main Desktop):

AMD A10 5800K / MSI Twin Frozr iii Radeon HD 7850 / Corsair XMS 8GB Dual Channel @ 1333MHz / MSI FM2-A75MA-E35

if the plastic you are painting is "shiny" make sure that you sand that all back off.

Other than that, prime, sand (400 grit) paint, sand (1000+ grit) paint, sand (1000+ grit) paint

I would recommend waiting a day between any painting.

Also, would recommend getting a heat gun. After spraying a coat, have the heatgun on high and QUICKLY move around the paint job, this dries it 1000x quicker. Do not hold it in a place for more than 2 seconds as you could risk overheating and causing bubbles.

Other than that, it is all very straight forward :)

Even easier than all stated above

plastidip. No need to prime. Its extremely simple. Its easily removable and it wont damage electronics

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

100 grit on the plastic, 2-3 coats of high build primer, 400grit then 1000grit untill the primer is smooth, and then paint another 2-3 coats with the color of your choice.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Key,tack rag and paint wipe,Plastic primer,key again,2-3 coats of colour,tack rag if its dusty,4-5 coats of clear coat,depending on the finish you want.

Job done.

To the recommendations of no primer....much fail,the paint will just fall off.

You need to let each coat flash off for 5 mins before recoating.

Let a minimum of 36 hrs go by before changing paint.

Dont spray after 2 hours or less than 36 hours as the paint can and probably will lift.

P Baines has sprayed before but the heat gun is very not required,it will potentially blow dust on to the workpiece,if you want a makeshift oven then get a childs tent and a fan heater for ghetto greatness.

Put the heater in the tent,warm the air as much as yo want then remove the heater and place the workpiece in the tent,zip it up and come back in a few hours

Mask is a must.

SR-2-2x X5650 Xeons-3x 670 FTW-1x 120Gb Force GT-1x 240Gb Force GT-1tb WD Green-12Gb Dom GT 1866-Platimax 1500w-2x HK3-2xD5-24v controller-3x RX 480's-3x NiBlk HK GPU blocks-Koolance tops-BP res-15x SP120's-Little Devil V8.

I've always just scuffed with a RED scotchbrite pad, washed the part, and then used Rustoleum Plastic spray paint (domed lid can I believe, rather than squared), it won't be shiny and will come off if you abuse it... but it is quick, simple, and holds up well to normal wear and tear.

haven't tried it on a computer but vinyl dye soaks into the paint and changes the natural colour of the plastic BUT it is dye so if you want a red and the part is black you have to dye it white and then red.

haven't tried it on a computer but vinyl dye soaks into the paint and changes the natural colour of the plastic BUT it is dye so if you want a red and the part is black you have to dye it white and then red.

From my experience you can only go darker, I've never heard of white dye.

Sand with fine grit sand paper and use spray paint ment for plastic.