I need a new system- pls help!

Hi all, this is my first post on LTT forums so looking forward to have some fun memories!

First off though, I need a helping hand. My laptop died last week and I've been looking around the webs for a suitable replacement. 

I don't game much (although I do play some MMO from time to time), I work mobile, I need a replacement asap, and I'm on a slight budget. (1500 max) 

So with that in mind, I've found some potential workstations- MSI and Razer

Does anyone- from experience can tell me which might be a good option?? Or any other brands that I could look into??

Thanks much!

(PS. My father wonders if trading up to an iPhone 7 is worth it or not. He owns a year old iPhone 6s I'm an android user so any tips?? Thanks!!)

Razer i pretty nice, but i would reccomend a dell xps. If you dont game the dell XPS has decent gaming power but focus more on prodictivity.

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

1 hour ago, arxiSigma said:

I don't game much (although I do play some MMO from time to time), I work mobile, I need a replacement asap, and I'm on a slight budget. (1500 max) 

Honestly depends what size you want, what's your mobile workload like, how much battery life do you need.

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

2 hours ago, Mohenjo said:

Well hey, thanks for the quick reply!

Thanks for the suggestions- they do seem quite well suited for the job...

But I'm kinda thinking of a more gaming end; 70-30 Game:Work ?? Cause I'll be using this new machine for work on the fly, not so much sitting at a coffee shop for hours-

1 hour ago, Pendragon said:

Honestly depends what size you want, what's your mobile workload like, how much battery life do you need.

Oh not much, since I do everything at home, I'm jus tthinking this to be something I can do just some quick work all the while capable of playing a game or two, you know?

I'm looking for something [reasonably] portable.

What do you guys think? Thanks for the speedy replies too btw!

4 hours ago, arxiSigma said:

--SNIP--

(PS. My father wonders if trading up to an iPhone 7 is worth it or not. He owns a year old iPhone 6s I'm an android user so any tips?? Thanks!!)

Don't have time to research you computer upgrade right now, but I just had a discussion with a bunch of tech heads about your iPhone upgrade.

After much discussion, our group came to the consensus that upgrading from an iPhone 6s, plus or regular, to the 7 is kind of moot at this point.

Even with the camera on the iPhone 7 plus, we agreed it is currently worth waiting for the 7s or whatever the next phone is from Apple.

Reasoning: iPhone 6s is still an amazingly good phone, even for power users. Unless you're after the camera in the 7, wait.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

3 hours ago, arxiSigma said:

Well hey, thanks for the quick reply!

Thanks for the suggestions- they do seem quite well suited for the job...

But I'm kinda thinking of a more gaming end; 70-30 Game:Work ?? Cause I'll be using this new machine for work on the fly, not so much sitting at a coffee shop for hours-

Oh not much, since I do everything at home, I'm jus tthinking this to be something I can do just some quick work all the while capable of playing a game or two, you know?

I'm looking for something [reasonably] portable.

What do you guys think? Thanks for the speedy replies too btw!

If you plan to game and don't need more than a few hours of battery life, then it sounds like a P650RP6 is up your alley. I know Razer isn't the answer you want. I don't feel comfortable recommending MSI's GS63 or GS73 yet due to the heatsink placement with regards to the system PCH. There aren't any other midranged models I'm comfortable recommending right now.

What kind of work exactly do you wish to do, by the way?

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

12 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

If you plan to game and don't need more than a few hours of battery life, then it sounds like a P650RP6 is up your alley. I know Razer isn't the answer you want. I don't feel comfortable recommending MSI's GS63 or GS73 yet due to the heatsink placement with regards to the system PCH. There aren't any other midranged models I'm comfortable recommending right now.

Oh so the GS63 isnt a good choice..? well i just do some occasional video and audio rendering,, i mean if that helps you narrow it down more....?

15 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

is that a sager btw?

Just now, arxiSigma said:

Oh so the GS63 isnt a good choice..? well i just do some occasional video and audio rendering,, i mean if that helps you narrow it down more....?

Sounds like your only option for your budget is the P650RP6.

Let me find the picture for you as to why I refuse to recommend the GS63 and GS73...

best screenshot.png

See how the GPU heatsink runs directly over the system PCH chip that is otherwise uncooled? I don't like that. It's one thing if it had thermal compound and was being used as a cooling solution (which would still be iffy due to how much heat Pascal chips pass through) but this is just... not good at all. Not even close.

1 minute ago, arxiSigma said:

is that a sager btw?

It's the other way around. Sager rebrands Clevo, the ODM. I am using Clevo's model number, because too many places rebrand them. If I told you Sager, it'd be NP 8173 or something (I don't even know if that's the right number). If I told you Eurocom it'd be Sky MX5 or something. Mythlogic would be Dia 1416 or something. iBuyPower would be something else. OriginPC would be EON something. The list goes on.

You CAN get the model from Sager though, if you want it. If you choose to do so, I would get it from LPC-Digital and request Prema mods when they are launched. If not, HIDevolution is the shop of my choice. If you live in Canada, the choice changes to Eurocom.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

4 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

Sounds like your only option for your budget is the P650RP6.

Let me find the picture for you as to why I refuse to recommend the GS63 and GS73...

best screenshot.png

See how the GPU heatsink runs directly over the system PCH chip that is otherwise uncooled? I don't like that. It's one thing if it had thermal compound and was being used as a cooling solution (which would still be iffy due to how much heat Pascal chips pass through) but this is just... not good at all. Not even close.

It's the other way around. Sager rebrands Clevo, the ODM. I am using Clevo's model number, because too many places rebrand them. If I told you Sager, it'd be NP 8173 or something (I don't even know if that's the right number). If I told you Eurocom it'd be Sky MX5 or something. Mythlogic would be Dia 1416 or something. iBuyPower would be something else. OriginPC would be EON something. The list goes on.

You CAN get the model from Sager though, if you want it. If you choose to do so, I would get it from LPC-Digital and request Prema mods when they are launched. If not, HIDevolution is the shop of my choice. If you live in Canada, the choice changes to Eurocom.

Thanks so much for your help! I really appreciate all the detail! It's definitely helped me narrow down some choices.

I'll just take another look for other options too

(What do you think of the MSI GE62 Apache?)

10 minutes ago, arxiSigma said:

Thanks so much for your help! I really appreciate all the detail! It's definitely helped me narrow down some choices.

I'll just take another look for other options too

(What do you think of the MSI GE62 Apache?)

Well it's a last-gen model. It's fine for basic usage but I wouldn't buy it for a rendering machine.

Hi all,

After some digging, I think I do wanna stay with a MSI laptop - or anything that's not Razer...

Do you have any suggestions as to what a good buy would be? (GE62? GS62?? whatever??)

Any other good computers you'd like to mention?? (Thanks for that suggestion- Sager one by D2ultima!)

Sounds like you want a GT73VR then. Single 1070 and 6820HK is the balance you desire. I hear it has a MUX switch so when you want battery life you can reboot into iGPU-only mode and use that.

1 hour ago, D2ultima said:

Sounds like you want a GT73VR then. Single 1070 and 6820HK is the balance you desire. I hear it has a MUX switch so when you want battery life you can reboot into iGPU-only mode and use that.

Nope. Nope nope 2100$ nope

2 hours ago, Mysticalsheep said:

The gt63vr is arround 1700 has a 1070 and 16 gb ram maybe check that?

Did you mean gs63vr

1 hour ago, arxiSigma said:

Did you mean gs63vr

he ment the gt62vr

Laptop Main

2 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

he ment the gt62vr

how do you know?? lol haha

thanks! i'll take a look

Yeah the gt62vr its suposed to have better thermals and the price is not bad with a 1070 16gb ram 256 ssd and 1 tb hdd 

2 hours ago, arxiSigma said:

how do you know?? lol haha

cause the GS63VR doesn't have a 1070. and the GT63VR doesn't exist. 

Laptop Main

I just went with a GE62 Apache. Found a great deal on Amazon haha. Maybe if it doesn't have the horsepower I need I'll return it for a GE62VR(?) :P 

Thanks so much for your help guys!!

(PS. Now my friend wants to ask- is there a good, RELIABLE CPU monitoring software (with temps and stuff) out there?? He thinks his cpu is overheating, but he's getting mixed reports from different programs)

Thanks!