Old PC update - what's your opinion?

Hi Folks!

First of all, I'd like to welcome all of you as this is my first post here.

I'm watching LinusTechTips YouTube channel from time to time and I really enjoy it.

I used to be up-to-date with PC-related stuff, but I stopped few years ago doing other things.

So, because I want to upgrade my old PC I thought I will ask you guys for some opinions.

A little bit about my current, old gear and my needs.

Current config:

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K 3.4GHz

MoBo: ASRock P67 Pro3

GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 560 CirectCU II TOP 1GB DDR5

Memory: 2x GoodRam DDR3 4096MB

PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular (80+)

+ new SSD and HDD

Usage:

I use my PC mainly for hi resolution photo editing and in the future I will do some video editing.

Of course I love to play some games like The Wither 3 which I finished on my current gear with so-so performance but not so bad :D

My thoughts:

I was thinking about adding additional RAM as 8GB is really low and changing just a GPU for something like GTX 1060 or GTX 970 and later in the future buing a new MoBo + latest i7.

What do you think?

Should I buy new CPU, MoBo and GPU at the same time or it makes complete sense to do it step-by-step?

Budget is not a problem, but I'm just not sure if I need right now anything more as this i7 2600K is still pretty good CPU.

I'll be glad for any help and tips.

Cheers,

Jarek

I am going to be leaning towards a new cpu, mobo, and gpu combo, just because you said you do high res photo editing as well plan on doing youtube uploads. But I think buying a new gpu is a first good start than later upgrading your cpu and mobo

CPU-i7 6700k O.C. 4.6Ghz-Motherboard-Asus z170-a-RAM-24gb DDR4-GPU-EVGA GTX 1080 FE-Case-Corsair 400c (white)-Storage-HDD: 2xWD Blue 1TB SSD: PNY SSDSC120GLC709B121-510 120GB-PSU-1000 watt coolermax-Display-ASUS VG248QE Black 24" 1080p 144 Hz -Cooling-Corsair H115i-Keyboard-G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX blues (Red backlight)-Mouse-Logitech G602-Sound-Logitech 5.1 z506

Need a budget headphone for under 100$? Sennheiser HD 558 Headphones

Got a Skylake CPU (k) Here is a guide to OC it!

Thanks @xephoneration,

I wonder, will something like GTX 970 or GTX 1060 give me a huge jump in terms of gaming performance and working with Adobe software or the PCI Express 2.0 will be a bottleneck?

Yes, @SteveGrabowski0. The 970 was just an example ;)

Cheers,

Jarek

thats a very capable pc
agree you need a new gpu
why not overlock the cpu ? its a k part, meant for overclocking?

Photography / Finance / Gaming

2 minutes ago, mok said:

thats a very capable pc
agree you need a new gpu
why not overlock the cpu ? its a k part, meant for overclocking?

I did overclock it (currently it's running close to 4.0GHz).

Don't know how much I can go with my cooling system (be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced)

15 minutes ago, Jarek_89 said:

Thanks @xephoneration,

I wonder, will something like GTX 970 or GTX 1060 give me a huge jump in terms of gaming performance and working with Adobe software or the PCI Express 2.0 will be a bottleneck?

Yes, @SteveGrabowski0. The 970 was just an example ;)

Cheers,

Jarek

The 1060 6GB would give you an enormous gaming performance improvement over a 560, we're talking complete night and day.

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1060-6GB-vs-Nvidia-GTX-560/3639vs3155

Your i7-2600k is still a strong gaming cpu, especially if you overclock it a bit. PCIE-2.0x16 isn't a bottleneck at all. Check this article on PCIE scaling on the GTX 980, which is really close to the 1060 6GB in performance:

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GTX_980_PCI-Express_Scaling/

I don't work with Adobe software though so I can't tell you how much the 1060 would improve that. I wouldn't buy the 1060 3GB, as 3GB isn't a lot now.

Thank you guys,

I really appreciate your help!

What do you think about RAM? Should I buy another 2x4GB or 2x8GB DDR3 or just wait for the new MoBo and buy some DDR4?

Thx!

22 minutes ago, Jarek_89 said:

Thank you guys,

I really appreciate your help!

What do you think about RAM? Should I buy another 2x4GB or 2x8GB DDR3 or just wait for the new MoBo and buy some DDR4?

Thx!

you wont notice any difference going from ddr3 to ddr4

Photography / Finance / Gaming

Ok, so I have 2 sticks of 4GB RAM @ 1600MHz, working in Dual Channel mode.

Question:

Will it work if I'll put another 2 sticks of 4GB or 8GB but faster? Like 2133MHz or 1866MHz?

Cheers!

It will work, but the new RAM will run at 1600 speed, so you may as well just get DDR3-1600.

Keep in mind that, if you want to upgrade to the latest Skylake CPU (or AMD Zen) you'll want DDR4 RAM.

A sieve may not hold water, but it will hold another sieve.

i5-6600, 16Gigs, ITX Corsair 250D, R9 390, 120Gig M.2 boot, 500Gig SATA SSD, no HDD