Making my first computer

LinusTwerkTips

I am making this computer mainly for VR btw

i have done my research i think.. but i'm not 100% sure i covered everything please let me know if you have any suggestions or you see something that wont fit or just doesn't make any sense to do. Thank you

i'm puting a gtx 1070 in this btw

https://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/36B3LUQNI5Z1L/ref=cm_wl_list_o_1?

in case i'm stupid and the amazon public thing doesn't work

Corsair Carbide Series 100R Silent Edition Quiet Mid Tower Case

Kingston HyperX Savage 240GB SSD SATA 3 2.5 (7mm height) Solid Sate Drive (SHSS37A/240G)

WD Blue 1TB SATA 6 Gb/s 7200 RPM 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch Desktop Hard Drive (WD10EZEX)

Kingston HyperX FURY Black 8GB 2133MHz DDR4 Non-ECC CL14 DIMM Desktop Memory (HX421C14FB/8)

Gigabyte LGA1151 Intel H170 Micro ATX DDR4 Motherboard (GA-H170M-D3H)

Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler LGA775/1150/1155/1156/1366/2011 FM1/FM2/AM2/AM3

EVGA 750 BQ, 80+ BRONZE 750W, Semi Modular, 5 Year Warranty, Includes FREE Power On Self Tester, Power Supply 110-BQ-0750-V1

Intel Core i5 6600K 3.90 GHz Quad Core Skylake Desktop Processor, Socket LGA 1151, 6MB Cache (BX80662I56600K)

HTC VIVE - Virtual Reality System

Youre gonna need a graphics card to run VR ma dude. Whats your overall budget?

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler LGA775/1150/1155/1156/1366/2011 FM1/FM2/AM2/AM3

Doesn't support your 1151 CPU or board.

I won't know you're talking to me unless you reply/quote me.

1 minute ago, LinusTwerkTips said:

Snip

I do not see a GPU anywhere in there. You need a pretty strong GPU to get a good experience out of VR, you cannot just use the IGPU inside your CPU. speaking of your CPU, you have a H170 board and a K series CPU. You cannot overclock (K series CPU) on an H170 motherboard. You should change one of those things. Your PSU isn't of the best quality, but if you're not overclocking it should be good enough. You don't need 750W though... you could/should get a much lower wattage PSU of a much higher quality for similar prices

Start building pc off 

pcpartpicker.com

Better for price and compatible checking. It also list cheapest price available because Amazon is not always the cheapest

Also as people said, no gpu

Just now, Gravemind said:

all 115x mounting holes are the same. if it supports any of them (which it does) then it supports 1151

1 minute ago, Gravemind said:

The DRP3 definitely supports LGA 1151. 

@LinusTwerkTips the PSU is probably not very good, get an EVGA G2 or Corsair RMi/RMx instead. 

The motherboard does not support overclocking, get a Z170 motherboard so you can overclock. 

2 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

The DRP3 definitely supports LGA 1151. 

@LinusTwerkTips the PSU is probably not very good, get an EVGA G2 or Corsair RMi/RMx instead. 

The motherboard does not support overclocking, get a Z170 motherboard so you can overclock. 

Yes better PSU. For a single 1070, 750w will be too much. And you need z mobo to oc 6600k

6 minutes ago, Gravemind said:

anything that supports 1150 supports 1151 provided you aren't an idiot with the tightness on screws.

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

Just now, RGProductions said:

anything that supports 1150 supports 1151 provided you aren't an idiot with the tightness on screws.

Yes.

Thank you.

You're now the 4th person to point this out to me, for fuck sake.

I won't know you're talking to me unless you reply/quote me.

Just now, Gravemind said:

Sorry, saw you comment without reading all the replies, an amateur mistake.

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

4 minutes ago, LinusTwerkTips said:

tried to get down everything you guys said 

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/KtVZcc

grab a better psu. can be found in my sig

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

49 minutes ago, LinusTwerkTips said:

tried to get down everything you guys said 

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/KtVZcc

I have a few suggestions I added to the build.

1. I put in a Noctua NH-U14S cooler. The BeQuiet Dark Rock has a reputation as a pretty hard cooler to install. I could swear it was Paul from Paul's Hardware I saw complaining about it, but I'm not 100% sure and it might have been another tech channel. Noctua has awesome mounting hardware for a super easy install and this is a very good cooler that isn't so large that you have to worry about RAM compatibility. It's also cheaper.

2. I put in some G.Skill DDR4-3000. It's cheaper and faster than the RAM you had picked before, and G.Skill offers a lifetime warranty on their RAM.

3. The PSU you picked isn't very good. The Seasonic one I recommend is more expensive but should be much higher quality. Seasonic power supplies are rock solid, I have one I bought in 2001 that lasted 7 years, another in 2008 that last 6.5 years, and my third is still great after buying it in mid 2014. None of the three ever failed, I always upgraded only for more watts.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($227.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($66.49 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($142.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($75.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($72.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($45.71 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card  ($433.94 @ Newegg) 
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($49.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($84.88 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $1260.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-27 23:28 EDT-0400

So, since this is your first computer build I'm going to guess that you don't have a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and headset. I didn't know what your budget was so I tried to be reasonable but also make sure performance is still great so here ya go. -- http://pcpartpicker.com/list/bvKMCy

1 hour ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

-snip-

I am not even going to comment about the windows key, but OCZ went bust because of thier shit SSDs, I really doubt that Toshiba has made them worse. 

1 minute ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

I am not even going to comment about the windows key, but OCZ went bust because of thier shit SSDs, I really doubt that Toshiba has made them worse. 

But did Toshiba do anything other than slap their name on those OCZ SSDs?

2 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

But did Toshiba do anything other than slap their name on those OCZ SSDs?

They basically slapped OCZ's name on thier SSDs after they bought OCZ's name and SSD division. 

6 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

They basically slapped OCZ's name on thier SSDs after they bought OCZ's name and SSD division. 

That's good to hear. But why would Toshiba ever want that name? xD