IEEE Formalizes 2.5 and 5Gbps Ethernet Standard

Lurick

Can a PC with a 10Gbe port work at 2.5Gb or 5Gb to a switch that is at those speeds? or will it need some driver updates to add compatibility?

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Just now, The Benjamins said:

Can a PC with a 10Gbe port work at 2.5Gb or 5Gb to a switch that is at those speeds? or will it need some driver updates to add compatibility?

It's possible a driver update will allow it to work but I'm not sure what the hardware chipset side would need, if anything, so it could be a moot point.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

But the actual inner controller can only handle a total aggregate of 8 of those.

The internal switching engine can handle 2.88Tbps.

And as you probably can figure out... That's enough for full duplex on all 36, 40Gbps ports. I am fairly sure that switch also does QoS in hardware so it should not be an issue.

There are plenty of reasons why your school might have chosen the more expensive solution.

7 hours ago, Fetzie said:

I started to download GTA5 one Friday. By the time it was ready to play, I had to go to work because it was Monday :(

3 days to download 65GB? Try 30.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

7 hours ago, LAwLz said:

The internal switching engine can handle 2.88Tbps.

And as you probably can figure out... That's enough for full duplex on all 36, 40Gbps ports. I am fairly sure that switch also does QoS in hardware so it should not be an issue.

There are plenty of reasons why your school might have chosen the more expensive solution.

No, as we were hunting for the cheapest full duplex 50 as our use cases didn't need latency as low as Infiniband.

And no, QoS is not in hardware on that particular pair of models. We actually bricked the switch testing it.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd