Borderlands 2, considered a true FPS?

dasr1985

So I find myslef in an OPINIONATIVE argument where I stand to say that I don't consider BL2 a truely competitive FPS game in nature versus... the latter.

Yes I give it the technicality of being an FPS game but when compared to games like BF... and even COD, am I just in my own corner of the world on saying I don't hold BL2 in the same category?

This is just a spit balling type of conversation, I'm not trying to cause a riot among the masses, lol.

Thats kind of where I hold it also.  My buddy who is also my roomate was pessimistically arguing against me saying I agree it is technically an FPS but not in the same class of FPS games like BF.

Not to be confused with me saying BL2 is a crap game, I love BL2! lol

I do not like the way Borderlands feels and plays, but I do like the graphical style.

Its not fps and has never been sold as one it does have dps elememts though

I don't think I'd call Borderlands 2 a game where the goal is competition.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K · MoBo: Asus Maximus Hero IX · RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum (2x8GB 2400MHz CL10) · GPU: EVGA SC+ GTX 980Ti (6 GB)
Case: Fractal Define R5, Black, Windowed · AMC: Corsair H90 with NF-A14 PWM (Pull)  · PSU Corsair HX 750W · SSD: 500GB Samsung 840 EVO
HDDs: WD Black 2TB and 2x Red 5TB · OS: Windows 10 · KB: Logitech 710+ · Mouse: Logitech G700S 
· Monitor: Acer XB270HU

well... it's first person... and you shoot things... so yes...
and it has rpg elements to just spice up the game play.

It seems that this may be a surprise to many of you but the definition of the acronym is not the only thing that defines FPS as a genera.

It does have a lot of FPS elements, it is played in the first person perspective, the weapons are usually fairly accurate & you can aim down/zoom in.
Your accuracy isn't often determined by your in-game character but more often on your skill.

However I wouldn't really consider this an FPS game, rather an RPG played in a first person perspective, the best of two worlds in my book, same as The Elder Scrolls.

Sure its a "true" FPS. Its first person, you shoot shit.  However it is not competitive.

besides the competitive part, how is it not an FPS? That's like saying Metroid Prime isn't an FPS, its more adventure. Its first person. You shoot shit.

Old shit no one cares about but me.

Sure its a "true" FPS. Its first person, you shoot shit.  However it is not competitive.

besides the competitive part, how is it not an FPS? That's like saying Metroid Prime isn't an FPS, its more adventure. Its first person. You shoot shit.

Thats what im saying is that Metroid Prime isnt a FPS. The FPS genera is not just shooting things in first person. Also its shooter not shooting because a shooter has a certain style of game play and that is the focus of the game, not in metroid's case where its the adventure.

Thats what im saying is that Metroid Prime isnt a FPS. The FPS genera is not just shooting things in first person. Also its shooter not shooting because a shooter has a certain style of game play and that is the focus of the game, not in metroid's case where its the adventure.

Tell me how its not an FPS. First Person Shooter = first person perspective + gun. no more, no less. I have no idea what you are thinking.

BL2 is a FPS. You're in First Person and it's a shooter.

Sure, it isn't BF3 or CoD, but that doesn't mean it isn't a FPS. It isn't competitive either, but that doesn't determine if it's a FPS or not.

Saying that BL2 isn't an FPS is like saying HL2 isn't one either. That game is semi adventure and puzzle.

Let me help you understand what an FPS is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-person_shooter

First-person shooter (FPS) is a video game genre centered on gun and projectile weapon-based combat through a first-person perspective; that is, the player experiences the action through the eyes of the protagonist.

I wont deny that BL2 has FPS elements but it is not a FPS. The company describes it as a shoot and loot which is what it is. It plays a lot like Hellgate London, now reincarnated as Hellgate Global, which is basically a first or third person diablo one of the classes having guns. Its was actually done by devs who had worked on Diablo. I do see HL2 as a FPS as well as many other games but Borderlands has a completely different feel to it. As for Metroid Prime I would have to agree with Nintendo on this one and call it what they do a First Person Adventure.

I wont deny that BL2 has FPS elements but it is not a FPS. The company describes it as a shoot and loot which is what it is. It plays a lot like Hellgate London, now reincarnated as Hellgate Global, which is basically a first or third person diablo one of the classes having guns. Its was actually done by devs who had worked on Diablo. I do see HL2 as a FPS as well as many other games but Borderlands has a completely different feel to it. As for Metroid Prime I would have to agree with Nintendo on this one and call it what they do a First Person Adventure.

You know there are mixtures of genres, that doesn't make Metroid Prime or BL2 any less of an FPS. No one said that they had to have a certain feel to them, FPS is defined by the way you view and interact with the game world, specifically first person and with a gun.

Wolfenstein 3d feels completely different from your CoD or whatever nowdays, does that not make it an FPS?

Also Killzone 2 feels way different from the conventional first person shooter. Is it not an FPS?

My standpoint originally whether I worded it properly or not was that a game like BL2 just can't be held in the same class of FPS as something like BF.

I didnt mean to start a subject to cause a riot, lol. Was just a convo I had with a buddy and I wanted to get the opinion of those I felt mattered, the LTT forum. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I think Borderlands 2 is just as much of an FPS as BF is, but they are mixed with other genres. BF is a lot more tactical than run-n-gun and borderlands has RPG elements mixed in. 

I don't think there are "classes" of FPS games since the genre is solely defined by the perspective.

I think your question should be "Is BL2 a conventional current generation FPS?" and that would be a no since it sort of breaks away from the CoD/BF mold and try something different.

Borderlands 2 combines FPS and RPG better than any other game I have played before. I am usually not a big fan of RPG, but I do like borderlands.

I don't think a game has to be competetive in order to be fun.

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

I think Borderlands 2 is just as much of an FPS as BF is, but they are mixed with other genres. BF is a lot more tactical than run-n-gun and borderlands has RPG elements mixed in. 

I don't think there are "classes" of FPS games since the genre is solely defined by the perspective.

I think your question should be "Is BL2 a conventional current generation FPS?" and that would be a no since it sort of breaks away from the CoD/BF mold and try something different.

I personally think Borderlands is a RPG with FPS elements mixed in personally. As it could be the game it was without being a FPS but it couldnt if it didnt have the RPG elements.

I personally think Borderlands is a RPG with FPS elements mixed in personally. As it could be the game it was without being a FPS but it couldnt if it didnt have the RPG elements.

FPS elements? There is only two elements that define an FPS:

First person perspective. Check

Shooter. Check

So how could it only have FPS elements if it contains all the elements of what it means to be a first person shooter?

FPS elements? There is only two elements that define an FPS:

First person perspective. Check

Shooter. Check

So how could it only have FPS elements if it contains all the elements of what it means to be a first person shooter?

Then a RPG just has to have role playing and be a game. As I said before the definition of the acronym of the name of a genre does not solely define the genre.