Best DSLR under 550$

S1L3nT

Hi, I want to buy a DSLR camera under 550$ (Cheaper is better) Main action: shooting on daily basis, excursion, trips etc. Also is it better to buy non-dslr ? and why dslr and why not.

Finishing up my build...

If cheaper is better for you just get a point and shoot camera. If you however truly want to take good photographs pick up a used Canon EOS 600D / Rebel T3i.

dslr is for much better photo's, specifically in lower light conditions.

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

Not always true.

it is most of the time, can you think of a case in which not?

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

Not always true.

Not always, but 99.9% of the time it is true. There isn't really any point and shoot that can compare quality wise to something like a D5200 or D3200 (and if they are, they're most likely mirrorless, not point and shoots).

OP: If you want new, I'd say go the D3200/D5200/D90 or T3i/T4i route. Start off with the kit lens, and then when you advance your skills you can get more lenses. If you get a point and shoot you're locked to it unless you want to completely upgrade, unlike with a DSLR.

Now, if you want to go used, I'd say look for the same camera bodies, and add in an extra lens (50mm F/1.8 or 35mm F/1.8), or if you're more likely to shoot things that are farther away, look at a telephoto (55-200mm).

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Any particular type of photography you are interested in?

I always advise to look up the lens lineup and choose your body based on the available lenses.

You also have to cinsider if size matters to you.  DSLRs can be quite large while micro 4/3 cameras can be a lot smaller and lighter.  Plus, I highly doubt that many casual shooters can tell the difference between a photo shot with a APS-C sensor and one shot with a micro 4/3 camera. 

CPU AMD Ryzen 2700 X / Motherboard  / RAM 4 x 4GB  / GPU Zotac 1080Ti Amp Edition / Case Fractal Design Meshify C / Storage Samsung 850 PRO / 1TB WD Black & 2TB WD Green / PSU / Cooling Noctua / Keyboard Ducky Shine 2 / Mouse Logitech G700 / Sound O2 Amp/DAC & Audioengine A5+ speakers

Get a proper point and shoot instead, smaller and can still have an amazing picture quality

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

You also have to cinsider if size matters to you.  DSLRs can be quite large while micro 4/3 cameras can be a lot smaller and lighter.  Plus, I highly doubt that many casual shooters can tell the difference between a photo shot with a APS-C sensor and one shot with a micro 4/3 camera. 

Panasonic GH2 is micro 4/3 and it is a DSLR. What you are calling "micro 4/3 cameras" are mirrorless.

i9 25.6 GHz with NeuronThreading, 256gb 6000 MHz RAM, GTX 990 OC 3024MHz 12gb, Skeletal X99 motherboard, 1 Petabyte SSD, Fractal Design Humaniod R1 Case, Herbivore 10,000W PSU, Noctua NF16 LP Derma Cooler.

Probably the only Star Citizen player who is planning on a career in Journalism instead of piracy, mining, trading, exploration, military, station management, etc.

Generation 0: The first time you see this add 1 to the number and copy it into your sig. Consider it a social experiment.

DSLR does not equal "mirrorless".  (D)SLR stands for "Single Lens Reflex" which typlically use a mirror and prisim system.  By removing the mirror (hence "mirrorless") the camera no longer needs the prisim and is now known as a "mirrorless" or M43 camera.

M43 can be much smaller than (D)SLR but they can also be quuite hefty too.  The new Sony A7 & A7r can get quite big when the full frame lenses are attached.

CPU AMD Ryzen 2700 X / Motherboard  / RAM 4 x 4GB  / GPU Zotac 1080Ti Amp Edition / Case Fractal Design Meshify C / Storage Samsung 850 PRO / 1TB WD Black & 2TB WD Green / PSU / Cooling Noctua / Keyboard Ducky Shine 2 / Mouse Logitech G700 / Sound O2 Amp/DAC & Audioengine A5+ speakers