SAS to SATA

Mark77
1 hour ago, Mark77 said:

No, it doesn't work. Only a SAS controller can talk to a SAS drive. Cheapest way to do this is to buy a SAS HBA and a SAS breakout cable.

6 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

No, it doesn't work. Only a SAS controller can talk to a SAS drive. Cheapest way to do this is to buy a SAS HBA and a SAS breakout cable.

I'm pretty sure this WORKS but the OP misunderstand it.  It's not SAS Drive to SATA controller, it's SAS Controller to SATA drive adaptor. That makes sense, you'd only need a passive pinout adaptor to run a SATA drive off a SAS controller while the SAS controller's logic then does what it has to do once it has proper communication with a SATA drive.

Just now, AshleyAshes said:

I'm pretty sure this WORKS but the OP misunderstand it.  It's not SAS Drive to SATA controller, it's SAS Controller to SATA drive adaptor. That makes sense, you'd only need a passive pinout adaptor to run a SATA drive off a SAS controller while the SAS controller's logic then does what it has to do once it has proper communication with a SATA drive.

Oh, you have a point, I kept thinking it was trying to go from Sata to SAS. I didn't think of it the other way around...I just hope the OP doesn't have a SAS drive though...

2 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Why would it have power running to it, ie: a "male" power connector?  That implies injection of power from a PSU, not the other way around. 

I just can't figure out why such an item would be on eBay, unless it either works, or is just a total scam.  I don't have any SAS (and don't intend on buying any), but I saw that adapter and basically went, "WTF"!

7 minutes ago, Mark77 said:

Okay, you are right and also wrong.  I personally don't deal with SAS much so my bad but I did more research. This is NOT a straight up adaptor and it is a pinout adaptor but it is SPECIFICALLY for SAS drives to work on SATA controllers that have chip level support for SAS.  I found an Amazon listing that gives much more useful information. "Port This SAS adapter to 1x SATA 22pin, enables you to connect a SAS HDD with SFF 8482 port to a SAS compatible SATA controller (hybrid controller)."

So this is just a pinout adaptor to make use of a chipset feature that you would have to have before hand.  But it WOULD work but you would have to verify what features your chipset offered first.  It would be of no use on a SATA controller that did not support SAS drives logically.