Does my GPU match my CPU?

Hi there dear LTT-Forum Girls n Guys,

i'm in the happy position to inherit my dads old PC, but I need a new GPU for it. My goal is a nice 1080p gaming experience. In the past i set myself as a benchmark to run WoW at Ultra with at least 60FPS. Today I'm not playing WoW but it remained as orientation.. sort of.. I'm not intending to run the newest AAA-titles, I think the "newest" game I have is Black Ops 2.. But nevertheless, I need a GPU.

At first let me introduce the components I'll be running:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-970 Processor Gulftown (http://ark.intel.com/products/47933/Intel-Core-i7-970-Processor-12M-Cache-3_20-GHz-4_80-GTs-Intel-QPI)

Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D PREMIUM (https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-P6X58D-Premium-1366-Motherboard/dp/B002WSHXQ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474614010&sr=8-1&keywords=P6X58D+PREMIUM)

RAM: 4 Sticks 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231309)
PSU: actually not sure :( But my Dad said something around 500W.. I'll check again and, if necessary, I'll buy a new one..
(HDD: will be a SAMSUNG EVO 840 with 750GB and sooner or later I'll include at least 1 large capacity HDD (2-4TB) but I plan to include this NAS-in-tower-thing Linus posted a while back)

As a GPU, and after lots of reserach on many different sites, I kinda agreed with myself to buy the ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1060 AMP! Edition because it got pretty good reviews and seems to offer on the one side good bang for the buck but also a bit over room for overclocking. I think this will serve me well over the next few years. But, according to ark, the CPU is already close to 6 years old.. My dad never had any issues with the PC, he used it for rendering small videos and a bit of lightroom and photoshop action for family vacation pictures and so.. So not a heavy workload. But it left me, again, insecure wether this GPU may or may not be a bit over the top? And for Info: I can grab that GPU for well under 300€ at the moment at least.

What do you think about my choise? Or would you include another GPU?

Happy to hear from you
Kind regards

Stefan

P.S.: As I am no native speaker i kindly appologize for typos or grammer mistakes.

please forgive typos and grammer, I'm not a native speaker! thank you!

Hardware: Microsoft Surface Pro 1|Samsung A3(2017)

CPU is a bit slow for a GTX 1060, but i would still get the card it's still worth it and in most games that are not too CPU intensive will perform well...consider a platform upgrade in the future to get the full performance out of your GPU.

Good luck!

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Yes,cpu will be an limitating factor, but dont panic like everybody here: it is still worth it.

People here hear "bottleneck" and Go crazy,thinking is better to get a worst GPU so no bottleneck happen,but what actually happens is they end up with less performance. So Go ahead,buy your 1060 and down the Road consider a CPU upgrade.

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

As said above, the Cpu will slightly hold you back. The 1060 will still run perfectly fine. It won't crash or anything. Just look into getting an i5 whenever you can. The rest of the build is fine.

Nothing.

7 hours ago, smulutz said:

Hi there dear LTT-Forum Girls n Guys,

i'm in the happy position to inherit my dads old PC, but I need a new GPU for it. My goal is a nice 1080p gaming experience. In the past i set myself as a benchmark to run WoW at Ultra with at least 60FPS. Today I'm not playing WoW but it remained as orientation.. sort of.. I'm not intending to run the newest AAA-titles, I think the "newest" game I have is Black Ops 2.. But nevertheless, I need a GPU.

At first let me introduce the components I'll be running:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-970 Processor Gulftown (http://ark.intel.com/products/47933/Intel-Core-i7-970-Processor-12M-Cache-3_20-GHz-4_80-GTs-Intel-QPI)

Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D PREMIUM (https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-P6X58D-Premium-1366-Motherboard/dp/B002WSHXQ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474614010&sr=8-1&keywords=P6X58D+PREMIUM)

RAM: 4 Sticks 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231309)
PSU: actually not sure :( But my Dad said something around 500W.. I'll check again and, if necessary, I'll buy a new one..
(HDD: will be a SAMSUNG EVO 840 with 750GB and sooner or later I'll include at least 1 large capacity HDD (2-4TB) but I plan to include this NAS-in-tower-thing Linus posted a while back)

As a GPU, and after lots of reserach on many different sites, I kinda agreed with myself to buy the ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1060 AMP! Edition because it got pretty good reviews and seems to offer on the one side good bang for the buck but also a bit over room for overclocking. I think this will serve me well over the next few years. But, according to ark, the CPU is already close to 6 years old.. My dad never had any issues with the PC, he used it for rendering small videos and a bit of lightroom and photoshop action for family vacation pictures and so.. So not a heavy workload. But it left me, again, insecure wether this GPU may or may not be a bit over the top? And for Info: I can grab that GPU for well under 300€ at the moment at least.

What do you think about my choise? Or would you include another GPU?

Happy to hear from you
Kind regards

Stefan

P.S.: As I am no native speaker i kindly appologize for typos or grammer mistakes.

The 1060 is a good card, however I would also recommend you get another 4GB of ram as the 4GB is going to be a limitation in modern games.

On ‎23‎.‎09‎.‎2016 at 4:17 PM, pyr0 said:

The 1060 is a good card, however I would also recommend you get another 4GB of ram as the 4GB is going to be a limitation in modern games.

well i don't think 4x4GB (which equals 16GB) will be a big issue ;)

but thanks to all who replied!

5 hours ago, smulutz said:

well i don't think 4x4GB (which equals 16GB) will be a big issue ;)

but thanks to all who replied!

Oh, whoopy, I thought you said you had 4GB of RAM

I'm just wondering...

can you watercool the gpu? just came to my mind... any idea?