Lube?

hewr

Hi,

I bought a used bw 2013 tournament with cherry blues, and noticed that the switches were kind of 'frictiony' (if that makes sense). Is it necessary to replace lube every few years or is I just something people do? If I do decide to lube all 87keys, will it make a noticeable difference? What lube should I use?

Thanks,

John

I don't think this is that kind of website.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 minute ago, Moderateshadow said:

that title brought me here

LUL

1 minute ago, Moderateshadow said:

cherrymx are normally good for like 50 000 000 presses. i dont think that should be required.

I know this, they can last forever if you maintain them well. What I'm wondering is if it will make the typing experience smoother and sound less harsh, because as of now even my kailh blue keyboard (way too heavy and springy feeling, cherrys switches are a lot better) feels smoother than this.

There is a lot of dirt and grime buildup, which is why I am concerned. If lubing each switch isn't going to make a difference, I wont do it. I'm happy with the switches, its just a minor thing that's been annoying me.

John

Sounds like someone spilled a drink on that keyboard...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, hewr said:

LUL

I know this, they can last forever if you maintain them well. What I'm wondering is if it will make the typing experience smoother and sound less harsh, because as of now even my kailh blue keyboard (way too heavy and springy feeling, cherrys switches are a lot better) feels smoother than this.

There is a lot of dirt and grime buildup, which is why I am concerned. If lubing each switch isn't going to make a difference, I wont do it. I'm happy with the switches, its just a minor thing that's been annoying me.

John

id start with a good cleaning. take it apart, clean it with isopropyl.   see if that helps

Just now, hewr said:

LUL

John

I'd take the caps off. Remove the o-ring, if any. Use a q-tip to clean the inside with alcohol. Replace the o-ring with a new one of the same size. Replace the cap. Enjoy.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

2 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

I don't think this is that kind of website.

clickbaitgg. its a great forum and I haven't gotten a response on tomshardware (rip)

1 minute ago, hewr said:

True, but its a great forum and I haven't gotten a response on tomshardware (rip)

What you and your PC like to do together is your business.

Edit: Now I know why it's sticking...

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

I'd take the caps off. Remove the o-ring, if any. Use a q-tip to clean the inside with alcohol. Replace the o-ring with a new one of the same size. Replace the cap. Enjoy.

2 minutes ago, Moderateshadow said:

id start with a good cleaning. take it apart, clean it with isopropyl.   see if that helps

Ill try it. Maybe using compressed air will help. Thanks for all the responses <3

1 hour ago, Thread212 said:

If u want smooth and silent feeling go with the cherry mx red.
Blue switches are known for their satisfying clicking noise.so lubing them probably wont make any differences.

By "harsh", "loud" and "frictiony" I did not refer to the the switch type. I'm complaining about these issues which are due to either spill(s) like enderman said, or overall lack of maintenance. I do like mx reds, but would definitely take browns or blues over them; browns are nice however the satisfying click on the blues make them my favorite switch.

sounds like someone spilled coke or fanta or something you could try lubing them but i doubt that will work and you dont wanna use alot if you do it. i wouldn't recommend it 

I lurk a lot

I wouldn't recommend lubing MX blues, because you'll lose the click if you aren't experienced enough to completely disassemble the board (e.g. desoldering every switch, and lubing the stem outside the housing, then soldering it all back together - easily a 15+ hour job.)

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

3 hours ago, KaminKevCrew said:

I wouldn't recommend lubing MX blues, because you'll lose the click if you aren't experienced enough to completely disassemble the board (e.g. desoldering every switch, and lubing the stem outside the housing, then soldering it all back together - easily a 15+ hour job.)

What I was planning to do was to apply a small amount onto a paintbrush and lightly brush the inside cavity with it. If not that then maybe water or compressed air. Is it going to ruin the switch or mess something up?

8 hours ago, peej said:

sounds like someone spilled coke or fanta or something you could try lubing them but i doubt that will work and you dont wanna use alot if you do it. i wouldn't recommend it 

what do you suggest I do ;-;

On 23/09/2016 at 6:36 PM, hewr said:

what do you suggest I do ;-;

first think i would suggest is to take the key caps off and give them a rinse and then let them dry completely and while the keycaps are off give the base plate a wipe down with a cloth or kitchen towel or maybe a wet wipe and see if that fixes it  

I lurk a lot

1 hour ago, peej said:

first think i would suggest is to take the key caps off and give them a rinse and then let them dry completely and while the keycaps are off give the base plate a wipe down with a cloth or kitchen towel or maybe a wet wipe and see if that fixes it  

I'm not talking about buildup on the baseplate -- ive already done this. I'm wondering about the switches; if I can make then a bit smoother using lube because as of now they definitely seem like a bike that needs more oil. The sound is harsh and when actuating its extremely frictiony and not very satisfying.

3 hours ago, hewr said:

I'm not talking about buildup on the baseplate -- ive already done this. I'm wondering about the switches; if I can make then a bit smoother using lube because as of now they definitely seem like a bike that needs more oil. The sound is harsh and when actuating its extremely frictiony and not very satisfying.

do you know how long the warranty is supposed to be for? if its 5 years then id say it might be worth contacting the manufacturer 

I lurk a lot

6 hours ago, peej said:

do you know how long the warranty is supposed to be for? if its 5 years then id say it might be worth contacting the manufacturer 

its not 5 years -- even if it was in warranty it probably has to do with a spill or a spill which was cleaned and the lube came off. It has nothing to do with a failing switch. I'm totally fine with this, they still feel great; its a minor thing but it bugs me a lot. An upgrade from my kailh switch keyboard :D

1 minute ago, W-L said:

For the switch itself it's not recommended to lubricate it directly, but for things like the stabilizers using a drop of silicone lubricant is a good idea. 

http://www.lowes.com/pd/DuPont-4-oz-Silicone-Lubricant/3550504

Thanks! Yeah, ive seen a lot of people use lube to free up a linear switch, since it does not risk messing with any tactility or sound on blues or browns. Ill be sure to try it out -- Ill just give up on the switches and will have to live with it. On stabilized keys its more of a crunch than a click.

1 minute ago, hewr said:

Thanks! Yeah, ive seen a lot of people use lube to free up a linear switch, since it does not risk messing with any tactility or sound on blues or browns. Ill be sure to try it out -- Ill just give up on the switches and will have to live with it. On stabilized keys its more of a crunch than a click.

If something got spilled on the keyboard and some switches are still sticky you can try using some 99% isopropyl alcohol to try and clean out the switches or give the PCB a bath in it to remove anything that may be left.

15 hours ago, W-L said:

For the switch itself it's not recommended to lubricate it directly, but for things like the stabilizers using a drop of silicone lubricant is a good idea. 

http://www.lowes.com/pd/DuPont-4-oz-Silicone-Lubricant/3550504

That's not true. Lubing the switches directly absolutely is recommended - but only if you take each switch apart and lube certain components inside the switch.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)