Best card for XP, no one seems to know this.

Go to solution Solved by SLAYR,
1 hour ago, SherylinRM said:

I want to make the best Windows XP rig I can for my older games.

I have one with windows 7 thanks.

I wonder who knows which graphics is the best for winXP.

Yes I know there are good ones out there but few have drivers anymore.

So if someone knows then thanks ahead of time :)

This seems to be an extremely difficult question as no one seems to know the answer to it.

I am hoping you good people here know it.

Thanks again :)

Some newer cards have support for xp. AMD even has xp drivers for the 300 series and fury cards.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/windows-legacy

Nvidia offers xp drivers for the gtx 960/950, and 700/600/500/400 cards, as well as earlier 8/9 series cards.

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/105040/en-us

9 minutes ago, SherylinRM said:

@anonymousguy

Thanks. I have literally hundreds of old games and wanted to continue using winxp natively.

Many are 16 bit as well.

Anyhow, thanks for the advise :)

Have you considered running an XP virtual machine (VirtualBox, VMWare, etc) from within Windows 7 or newer?  Then you can run whatever card you want and presumably the VM's virtual video card will have enough power to drive those super-old games.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

the best xp machine would be a core 2 duo or core 2 quad with a 8800 GT or GTX if you can find one. That was like the best hardware before vista came out.

Core i7 7700k Kabylake stock + Kraken x52 | ASUS Z170-A | 8GB DDR4 2133MHz HyperX | ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 STRIX 6GB | 250GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB HDD WD RE4 | Seasonic X-Series 650w | Corsair 460x RGB  | Win 10 Pro 64 bit | Corsair M65 PRO RGB Mouse | Corsair K70 RGB RapidFire

1 hour ago, SherylinRM said:

I want to make the best Windows XP rig I can for my older games.

I have one with windows 7 thanks.

I wonder who knows which graphics is the best for winXP.

Yes I know there are good ones out there but few have drivers anymore.

So if someone knows then thanks ahead of time :)

This seems to be an extremely difficult question as no one seems to know the answer to it.

I am hoping you good people here know it.

Thanks again :)

Some newer cards have support for xp. AMD even has xp drivers for the 300 series and fury cards.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/windows-legacy

Nvidia offers xp drivers for the gtx 960/950, and 700/600/500/400 cards, as well as earlier 8/9 series cards.

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/105040/en-us

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

@xggax

I tried emulation and it just isn't the same.

But thanks :)

@ anonymousguy

Your suggestion was spot on for gigabyte. They still support xp in the 700 series.

@slayr

I will look again, however the last time I did they said they no longer supported xp.

I must have missed the left turn when searching lol ;) Thanks for the link.

@xggax

Oh yeah. Also found that getting into files for things like roller coaster or sim city were so difficult to impossible that I gave up and even uninstalled windows 7 for a while until being forced against my will to reinstall it for other programs.

I ALSO found that windows 7 does not seem able to emulate for 16 bit games.

Thanks though for the suggestion.

Thank you for everyones help.

Now just waiting for a decent Canadian price as the 760 is 300 dollars and up :) GTX.

Look at ncix for the price.

Sorry I do not have a credit card [never will] so that will stop amazon or ebay comments [save everyone some time typing lol].

Thank you every one :)

@slayr

I am downloading the file as I type.

Thank you VERY much for the link :)

I knew coming here I would find smart people :)

Thanks again to everyone that helped :)

@SherylinRM You need to click their name when using the @ thingy otherwise it doesn't show up. Alternatively, you can click the small arrow underneath their post to quote them. I don't have any solutions to the question you asked, I was just pointing this out c:

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Ok I clicked your name and nothing.

Also I posted a "@" and then clicked and nothing again. Soooo not sure what to do here.

Oh well. Stuff happens :)

Thanks again everyone for your help.

I am going to try to mark this one solved :)

On 9/22/2016 at 9:51 PM, Moderateshadow said:

honestly.. just run in compatibility mode. 

i play GTA SA every day on win 10

Compatibility mode doesn't work for a lot of games (ex: Halo 2 Vista, King Kong, etc..).