neewbie building gaming pc

I'd recommend switching from the single 8GB module to a kit of 2x4GB. You'll be able to enjoy dual-channel performance now, and since the mainboard has four DIMM slots you'll still be able to easily upgrade in the future. Other than that, at that budget you may be able to get a lot of other shiny things for the price difference between a Core i5K and a Core i7K. The hyperthreading won't benefit games quite as much as, say, a more powerful graphics card. For gaming, at least...

daily driver
Intel Core i7-950 | ASUS SABERTOOTH X58 | 6x2GB Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800 | ASUS GTX970 STRIX | SB X-Fi Titanium
Samsung 840 EVO + WD Caviar Black | Fractal Define R3 | Phanteks/Noctua/NoiseBlocker cooling | Windows 10 Pro

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010)

Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 | Apple Mac-F222BEC8 | 2x4GB Samsung PC3-8500 | GeForce 320M
SanDisk SDSSDP | Apple A1278 Aluminium Unibody | macOS Sierra

Microsoft Lumia 950

Qualcomm Snapdragon 808 | 3GB RAM | Adreno 418 | Windows 10 Mobile

daily driver 2

Intel Core i5-750 | ASUS P7P55-M | 4x1GB Elpida PC3-8500 | Sapphire Radeon HD5870 | SB X-Fi Xtreme Music
Crucial M4 + WD AV-GP Green | Fractal Define R3 | Scythe/Gelid/Noctua/NoiseBlocker cooling | Windows 10 Pro

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012)

Intel Core i7-3615QM | Apple Mac-4B7AC7E434945597E | 2x4GB Samsung PC3-12800 | GeForce GT650M
WD Blue | Apple A1286 Aluminium Unibody | macOS Sierra

server

AMD Athlon 64 LE-1620 | Jetway JNC62K | 2GB Corsair Value Select PC2-6400 | GeForce 8200 IGP
WD Caviar SE16 + AV-GP Green + 2x Red | Chenbro ES34069 | Scythe/Nexus/Noctua cooling | Windows Home Server

coming soon: Eve V

Intel Core i7-7Y75 | Skybay U3E1 | 2x8GB Samsung PC3LP-14900 | Intel HD 615
Intel 600P | Eve V Aluminium Unibody | Windows 10 Pro

3 minutes ago, DHelios said:

I'd recommend switching from the single 8GB module to a kit of 2x4GB. You'll be able to enjoy dual-channel performance now, and since the mainboard has four DIMM slots you'll still be able to easily upgrade in the future. Other than that, at that budget you may be able to get a lot of other shiny things for the price difference between a Core i5K and a Core i7K. The hyperthreading won't benefit games quite as much as, say, a more powerful graphics card. For gaming, at least...

an i5 6600k can bottleneck an 1060, i would advice to keep the i7k and maybe just safe money for a while until the 1070 is within reach. if he goes for the i5 6600k then he would bottleneck any future gpu upgrades.

8 minutes ago, Constantin Mihaila said:

i'm bulding my next gaming pc in a local shop fromManchester. What should i change or to improve and also if the princess are ok or overpriced?

take a look https://www.aria.co.uk/WishList/nf5WH9UH5amuDPCFsa6e0w,,

Just don't get that i7 for gaming, an i5 6600k is more than enough for your use

"THE RED ARMY"

| INTEL i5 4690K | GIGABYTE Z97X GAMING 3 | XFX R9 390X | CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 4x2 8GB 1600Mhz | CORSAIR H80i | XFX XTR 650W | 1TB WESTERN DIGITAL CAVIAR BLUE | ADATA SP600 256GB | LOGITECH G502 | CORSAIR VENGEANCE 1400 | CORSAIR K70 MECHANICAL RED | NZXT S340 |

1 minute ago, tlink said:

an i5 6600k can bottleneck an 1060, i would advice to keep the i7k and maybe just safe money for a while until the 1070 is within reach. if he goes for the i5 6600k then he would bottleneck any future gpu upgrades.

maybe like 2 or 3 fps? really? for 100 bucks more?

"THE RED ARMY"

| INTEL i5 4690K | GIGABYTE Z97X GAMING 3 | XFX R9 390X | CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 4x2 8GB 1600Mhz | CORSAIR H80i | XFX XTR 650W | 1TB WESTERN DIGITAL CAVIAR BLUE | ADATA SP600 256GB | LOGITECH G502 | CORSAIR VENGEANCE 1400 | CORSAIR K70 MECHANICAL RED | NZXT S340 |

1 minute ago, Prömetheus said:

maybe like 2 or 3 fps? really? for 100 bucks more?

no, 10 to 20 fps in high fps gaming. for 60 fps it is fine on this day, but we already see that it bottlenecks. if he wants to keep this build for 5 years... upgrading a gpu is easier and more economical than upgrading a cpu.

5 minutes ago, tlink said:

the keyword here is "future".

When you leave the planned 1060 behind you and go for a higher one in the future (1070/1080 or 1170/1180 or whatever they will be called in the future) htat i7 will outshine the i5. so yeah - @tlink is right there

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/YKGfd6
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/YKGfd6/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£210.00 @ Amazon UK) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler  (£39.99 @ Ebuyer) 
Motherboard: MSI Z170-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£85.99 @ CCL Computers) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  (£38.89 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£35.59 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card  (£378.99 @ Ebuyer) 
Case: Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case  (£25.98 @ Ebuyer) 
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  (£42.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Total: £858.42
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-22 13:30 BST+0100

No, there is no signatute here, deal with it.

i sort of disagree, get the 8 gig stick as you'd be less limited in expansion and will still give excellent performance without bottlenecking (even though the ram is the bottleneck in the build, if possible get a 16 gig dual channel 8gb sticks which would put your build at 900. I know that it is tough to put in extra cash for it, but it is the best option for saving money in the future.

what world do you live in lol. an i3 6100 barely bottlenecks a 1060. the 1060 is a 1080p 60 fps card. 6600k can do 60 fps in all games. a 6600k can easily pair with a 1080 as well without much issues in all but a handful of games. and even in those handful of games you're still going to be able to get a VERY good gaming experience. people need to get their heads out of their asses and understand that "bottlenecking" isn't really that big of a deal (assuming you're not pairing a Pentium with a Titan). Even in a CPU intensive game like Battlefield 1 you can still get 100-ish fps or more depending on your overclock.

10 minutes ago, Constantin Mihaila said:

i'm bulding my next gaming pc in a local shop fromManchester. What should i change or to improve and also if the princess are ok or overpriced?

take a look https://www.aria.co.uk/WishList/nf5WH9UH5amuDPCFsa6e0w,,

Prices look fine. You should probably get a 6600k instead of a 6700k and then get 16GB of RAM instead of 8 with the money you saved. get 2x8 sticks. You should not get that PSU (terrible quality unit) but other than that you're fine. You could stick with the 6700k if you want to future proof your machine a bit, but at the end of the day a 6600k is all you need.

2 minutes ago, tlink said:

no, 10 to 20 fps in high fps gaming. for 60 fps it is fine on this day, but we already see that it bottlenecks. if he wants to keep this build for 5 years... upgrading a gpu is easier and more economical than upgrading a cpu.

You don't know what you're talking about. Certainly in the future some other GPU in a new lineup could be a problem, and the 6700k is certainly more future proof. but a 6600k is PLENTY strong. Its certainly not going to be outrun by a GTX 1060 (unless you're playing on minimum graphical settings)

4 minutes ago, Vlku272 said:

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/YKGfd6
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/YKGfd6/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£210.00 @ Amazon UK) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler  (£39.99 @ Ebuyer) 
Motherboard: MSI Z170-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£85.99 @ CCL Computers) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  (£38.89 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£35.59 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card  (£378.99 @ Ebuyer) 
Case: Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case  (£25.98 @ Ebuyer) 
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  (£42.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Total: £858.42
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-22 13:30 BST+0100

I'd agree with the 1070 instead of the 1060, but the i7 would be a better choice for cpu. PSU might be a bit weak for overclocking?

Just now, Zyndo said:

what world do you live in lol. an i3 6100 barely bottlenecks a 1060. the 1060 is a 1080p 60 fps card. 6600k can do 60 fps in all games. a 6600k can easily pair with a 1080 as well without much issues in all but a handful of games. and even in those handful of games you're still going to be able to get a VERY good gaming experience. people need to get their heads out of their asses and understand that "bottlenecking" isn't really that big of a deal (assuming you're not pairing a Pentium with a Titan). Even in a CPU intensive game like Battlefield 1 you can still get 100-ish fps or more depending on your overclock.

Prices look fine. You should probably get a 6600k instead of a 6700k and then get 16GB of RAM instead of 8 with the money you saved. get 2x8 sticks. You should not get that PSU (terrible quality unit) but other than that you're fine. You could stick with the 6700k if you want to future proof your machine a bit, but at the end of the day a 6600k is all you need.

You don't know what you're talking about. Certainly in the future some other GPU in a new lineup could be a problem, and the 6700k is certainly more future proof. but a 6600k is PLENTY strong. Its certainly not going to be outrun by a GTX 1060 (unless you're playing on minimum graphical settings)

i've had a whole discussion about this on this forum, first i also believed this to be true. i thought an i5-6600k was all you need nowdays, thats simply not true. the i5-6600k is hitting its limits in gtaV and the witcher 3. fps limiting both games by 20 fps, even when overclocked to 4.5ghz.

Just now, tlink said:

aria has a pretty good deal for the i7 it's 280 pounds now. So if the OP get it now, that will be a pretty good deal. But if it's in the regular prices just don't get the i7.

I watch the video about the comparison, which is like 10 - 20 fps difference and if you don't really mind about the 10 - 15 fps difference go get the i5 and if you mind about that fps difference go get the i7

"THE RED ARMY"

4 minutes ago, tlink said:

i've had a whole discussion about this on this forum, first i also believed this to be true. i thought an i5-6600k was all you need nowdays, thats simply not true. the i5-6600k is hitting its limits in gtaV and the witcher 3. fps limiting both games by 20 fps, even when overclocked to 4.5ghz.

That statement may be true. But how many fps does it ACTUALLY get in spite of that bottleneck? and where in the games do you experience that bottleneck? what GPU are you paired with in that bottleneck? What RAM speeds are you paired with? and so on.... I would assume you're still getting well over 100 fps in these games on a 6600k. lets be honest here, its GTA and Witcher 3, how much more fps do you actually need? I'm sure city skylines would probably bottleneck a 6600k as well, but so what? you don't NEED tons of fps in a game like that lol.

I'm not saying the 6600k is unbeatable. I'm saying a GTX 1060 can't beat it.

5 minutes ago, Prömetheus said:

aria has a pretty good deal for the i7 it's 280 pounds now. So if the OP get it now, that will be a pretty good deal. But if it's in the regular prices just don't get the i7.

I watch the video about the comparison, which is like 10 - 20 fps difference and if you don't really mind about the 10 - 15 fps difference go get the i5 and if you mind about that fps difference go get the i7

Keep in mind that in games that are more cpu intense like Witcher 3 will benefit in both stability and and performance at higher resolutions (i take it you won't be playing at 1080 p forever)

6 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

That statement may be true. But how many fps does it ACTUALLY get in spite of that bottleneck? and where in the games do you experience that bottleneck? what GPU are you paired with in that bottleneck? What RAM speeds are you paired with? and so on.... I would assume you're still getting well over 100 fps in these games on a 6600k. lets be honest here, its GTA and Witcher 3, how much more fps do you actually need? I'm sure city skylines would probably bottleneck a 6600k as well, but so what? you don't NEED tons of fps in a game like that lol.

I'm not saying the 6600k is unbeatable. I'm saying a GTX 1060 can't beat it.

yes it can. just read this thread. for now its in the high fps games yes, but what about games in 2 years? if we already see the bottleneck now in aa titles than we sure as hell are going to see them in 2 years. especially IF dx12 and vulcan etc etc get adopted. you literally see the cpu hitting 100% multiple times.

If you're planning on building the rig at the end of the year, maybe wait for the AMD zen to release to both compare to the i7 and i5, as well as drop in intel prices to combat it

Just now, REAPER-Nam said:

If you're planning on building the rig at the end of the year, maybe wait for the AMD zen to release to both compare to the i7 and i5, as well as drop in intel prices to combat it

I would suggest to at least wait a full year since the release of Zen, because I would never buy such a new architercture after 5 years since the last one. I would wait for reviews, real world benchmarks, every problem that they could have and also price drop.

DESKTOP PC - CPU-Z VALIDi5 4690K @ 4.70 GHz | 47 X 100.2 MHz | ASUS Z97 Pro Gamer | Enermax Liqmax II 240mm | EVGA GTX 1070Ti OC'd

HOME SERVER | HP ProLiant DL380 G7 | 2x Intel Xeon X5650 | 36GB DDR3 RDIMM | 5x 4TB LFF Seagate Constellation 7.2K | Curcial MX500 250GB | Ubuntu Server 20.04

1 minute ago, LionSpeck said:

I would suggest to at least wait a full year since the release of Zen, because I would never buy such a new architercture after 5 years since the last one. I would wait for reviews, real world benchmarks, every problem that they could have and also price drop.

Yes, wait for real benches, not that bs they posted on reddit, but waiting for kinks wont really be too big of a deal. the architecture is the same as intel uses so they had a nice blueprint.

Just now, REAPER-Nam said:

Yes, wait for real benches, not that bs they posted on reddit, but waiting for kinks wont really be too big of a deal. the architecture is the same as intel uses so they had a nice blueprint.

HOW is the architecture the same as Intel uses? Zen is not Skylake (or Kaby lake)

DESKTOP PC - CPU-Z VALIDi5 4690K @ 4.70 GHz | 47 X 100.2 MHz | ASUS Z97 Pro Gamer | Enermax Liqmax II 240mm | EVGA GTX 1070Ti OC'd

HOME SERVER | HP ProLiant DL380 G7 | 2x Intel Xeon X5650 | 36GB DDR3 RDIMM | 5x 4TB LFF Seagate Constellation 7.2K | Curcial MX500 250GB | Ubuntu Server 20.04

2 minutes ago, tlink said:

yes it can. just read this thread. for now its in the high fps games yes, but what about games in 2 years? if we already see the bottleneck now in aa titles than we sure as hell are going to see them in 2 years. especially IF dx12 and vulcan etc etc get adopted.

anyone who claims a GTX 1060 can bottleneck a 6600k either doesn't know what that term means, or is skewing the test/results in an unfair way in order to make some point. Period. End of story.

and lets be clear here, these "bottleneck" scenarios are NOT the majority of games, not even close! even then, the games where a 6600k is even being threatened by a "bottleneck" are games that typically don't NEED to be played at anything more than 60 fps. With the exception of the new battlefield 1 (which looks like the 6600k tops out around a little over 100 fps, depending on your exact clocks) and Crysis 3 (which you play anywhere between 80 and 140 fps depending on where you are and what you're doing) every other game doesn't need that many fps. in any other game (like GTA V, wither 3, and so on) can be played very well without issue at 60 fps (even though you are very often getting quite a bit more than that).

Bottom line is this. IF he is getting a 144hz monitor then I could understand the need for a 6700k. No sense spending that kind of money on that sort of monitor and then have an inferior computer. Most people do not have such monitors. And he should not pair a GTX 1060 up with a monitor like that if he expects high fps gaming because a 1060 cannot get you there without turning down graphical settings by a pretty large amount (assuming you're at 1080p)

Just now, Zyndo said:

anyone who claims a GTX 1060 can bottleneck a 6600k either doesn't know what that term means, or is skewing the test/results in an unfair way in order to make some point. Period. End of story.

and lets be clear here, these "bottleneck" scenarios are NOT the majority of games, not even close! even then, the games where a 6600k is even being threatened by a "bottleneck" are games that typically don't NEED to be played at anything more than 60 fps. With the exception of the new battlefield 1 (which looks like the 6600k tops out around a little over 100 fps, depending on your exact clocks) and Crysis 3 (which you play anywhere between 80 and 140 fps depending on where you are and what you're doing) every other game doesn't need that many fps. in any other game (like GTA V, wither 3, and so on) can be played very well without issue at 60 fps (even though you are very often getting quite a bit more than that).

Bottom line is this. IF he is getting a 144hz monitor then I could understand the need for a 6700k. No sense spending that kind of money on that sort of monitor and then have an inferior computer. Most people do not have such monitors. And he should not pair a GTX 1060 up with a monitor like that if he expects high fps gaming because a 1060 cannot get you there without turning down graphical settings by a pretty large amount (assuming you're at 1080p)

did you watch the video? it ALREADY bottlenecks the 1060 at 1080p running at 60 fps in for example witcher 3.. this cpu will hold back a 1070. if you're going with this build, you can never upgrade the gpu without upgrading the cpu because it would be getting bottle necked. the i7 6700k just makes more sense.

did you watch the video? it ALREADY bottlenecks the 1060 at 1080p running at 60 fps in for example witcher 3.. this cpu will hold back a 1070. if you're going with this build, you can never upgrade the gpu without upgrading the cpu because it would be getting bottle necked. the i7 6700k just makes more sense.

did you watch their other video? he was already getting ~100 fps with a Titan X in his system. the 6600k didn't suddenly lose 40% of its performance just because you put a GTX 1060 in there lol. and IF it somehow did, that is because of something they did, not because of a problem with their hardware. but fine, just to make you happy, I shall go watch the video. 

Just now, Zyndo said:

did you watch their other video? he was already getting ~100 fps with a Titan X in his system. the 6600k didn't suddenly lose 40% of its performance just because you put a GTX 1060 in there lol. and IF it somehow did, that is because of something they did, not because of a problem with their hardware. but fine, just to make you happy, I shall go watch the video. 

yea, maybe first listen to someones arguments and data before dismissing it.

1 minute ago, Zyndo said:

The fact of the matter is, i7 if you want better stability and better futureproofing (and more bragging rights i guess), i5 if you want to save money