Fimiliar Things Only Techies Will Know

SuperShermanTanker

The fimilar sound of a million migets screaming a lot of business buildings and schools have one only techies will reconize the sound it's the sound of the server room with lots of little fans screeming away and a bunch of servers doing their things designed to never fail at their task and as I was passing by the door to a server room I got thinkig what other stuff are things that only tech people will recognize and understand

The sound of a laptop or phone hitting the floor at school.

MAIN RIG: Dell Precision T5500 -CPU: Intel Xeon W5580 (4c,8t@ 3.2ghz,turbo 3.46) -MOTHERBOARD: Dell Precision T5500 OEM -RAM: 16gb ECC DDR3 FBDIMM (Hynix) -GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770  OC WINDFORCE X3 -Case: Dell Precision T5500 OEM -STORAGE: 240gb ADATA Premier SP550 (OS, Programs), 2x 500GB WD Caviar WD5000AAKS (Games, Files) (RAID 0) -PSU: Dell Precision T5500 OEM (875w) -DISPLAY(S): Primary: Acer AL2016w (1680x1050), Left and Right: Gateway FPD1976W (1440x900), Extra displays around the room: 42" Vizio TV (1920x1080) -COOLING: Dell Precision T5500 OEM -KEYBOARD: Logitech G710+ -MOUSE: Logitech G502 Proteus Core -SOUND: Logitech x320 and Razer Electras -OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10 Pro x64

LAPTOP: Dell Precision M6500 -CPU: Intel Core i7 920xm (4c,8t@2.0ghz,turbo 3.2ghz) -RAM: 12gb DDR3 -GPU: ATi Firepro M7820 -STORAGE: 240gb ADATA Premier SP550 (OS, Programs), 500GB Seagate STL500LM000 SSHD (Games, Files) -DISPLAY: 1920x1200 17.3” -OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10 Pro x64

SECONDARY RIG: -CPU: 2x Intel Xeon x5450 (4c, 4t ea., 8c, 8t @3ghz total) -MOTHERBOARD: Corvalent BDPEX -RAM: 14GB ECC DDR2 (Mix Match of Brands) -GPU: Nvidia Quadro NVS 285 -CASE: No Case (Everything is mounted on the wall in my closet) -STORAGE: 160GB WD Caviar SE WD1600AAJS (OS, Programs, Files) -PSU: 450w BFG -DISPLAY: Samsung UN22D5000 (1920X1080) -COOLING: Dell Precision T5400 Heatsinks and some random fans -KEYBOARD: Logitech G105 -MOUSE: Logitech M215 Wireless Mouse -OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 7 Professional x64

NAS: -CPU: Intel Pentium e2180 (2c, 2t@2ghz) -MOTHERBOARD: HP Compaq DC5800 OEM -RAM: 2GB DDR2 (Unsure of Brand) -CASE: No Case (Everything is mounted on the wall in my closet) -STORAGE: 500GB HGST (Backup) -PSU: HP Compaq DC5800 OEM (300w) -DISPLAY: Samsung UN22D5000 (1920X1080) -COOLING: Cooler Master Hyper 101a (Zip Tied) and some random fans -OPERATING SYSTEM: FreeNAS 9.10 (Running From USB Flash Drive)

FOLDING RIG: Dell Precision T5400 -CPU: 2x Intel Xeon X5450 (4c, 4t ea., 8c, 8t @3ghz total) -MOTHERBOARD: Dell Precision T5400 OEM -RAM: 32gb ECC DDR2 (Hynix) -GPU: Nvidia Quadro NVS 290 -CASE: Dell Precision T5400 OEM -STORAGE: 250gb WD 250ABYS (OS, Programs, Files) -PSU: Dell Precision T5400 OEM -DISPLAY: Dell 1707FP (1280x1024) -COOLING: Dell Precision T5400 OEM -OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10 Pro x64

PHONE: iPhone 7 32GB Matte Black (Sprint)

and then they go down and all hell breaks loose and everyone blames the techies for no doing anything about it before it hapaned even tho there was nothing to do to prevent it

also needing to have "that thing" and noone understanding WHY you need it beause what you have already works fine but you NEED IT

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Not knowing whether your hands have magic powers or the thing just working fine and people not realizing it.

16 minutes ago, SuperShermanTanker said:

The fimilar sound of a million migets screaming a lot of business buildings and schools have one only techies will reconize the sound it's the sound of the server room with lots of little fans screeming away and a bunch of servers doing their things designed to never fail at their task and as I was passing by the door to a server room I got thinkig what other stuff are things that only tech people will recognize and understand

Teachers blaming the WiFI as the reason for not being able to access the school homework website, which has almost 20000 people trying to access it at once, while insisting plugging into an 'Internet Cable' will make it work.

JESUS CHRIST

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

the fact that an 4ghz pentium  4 gets blown out of the water by an 1.3ghz sempron 

old quadcore (C2Q) < new dual core (i3 or 5)

the fact that you cant have a 30m usb cable 

a fancy case makes the pc not a tik faster (red stripes tho , those give your more fps , i swear by me mum)

FX 8350 + HD 5450 makes for a shit workstation (mainly bc of the 5450)

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

1 hour ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

and then they go down and all hell breaks loose and everyone blames the techies for no doing anything about it before it hapaned even tho there was nothing to do to prevent it

also needing to have "that thing" and noone understanding WHY you need it beause what you have already works fine but you NEED IT

1 hour ago, Sprcket said:

Not knowing whether your hands have magic powers or the thing just working fine and people not realizing it.

1 hour ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Yah everyone thinks we have magical powers that can fix computers and can somehow magically make the computers work when most of it is so simple and the fact that everyone thinks computers are so technical to the point they just don't look at it and pay attention to it and all the stuff that would be easy and simple like realizing why a website that everyone is using is so slow is oblivious to them and they just think it's because they are connected to wifi which is probably fast enough to handle stuff as heavy as video streaming just fine and is not the problem with them connecting to the site

That just because you are good as diagnosing a software issue, or help with troubleshooting issues on an operating system, or that you are really good with computer hardware, doesn't mean you can hack into the Pentagon.

Swear to god, I'm good with hardware and troubleshooting, not writing code or hacking.  Put in me in front of a C++ program and I'll slap the keyboard like a monkey.  Vice versa, my dad is a computer programmer, but if he tried to put a video card into his computer, he'd kill himself.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

1 hour ago, kaiju_wars said:

That just because you are good as diagnosing a software issue, or help with troubleshooting issues on an operating system, or that you are really good with computer hardware, doesn't mean you can hack into the Pentagon.

Swear to god, I'm good with hardware and troubleshooting, not writing code or hacking.  Put in me in front of a C++ program and I'll slap the keyboard like a monkey.  Vice versa, my dad is a computer programmer, but if he tried to put a video card into his computer, he'd kill himself.

Very similarly, since I'm the only one in the family that actually knows anything about computers, they automatically assume that I know everything there is to know about anything tech related.

"Which battery bank should I buy?"

"idk, I don't use those"

"Why can't you fix my Macbook?"

"Because I've only ever touched a Mac a handful of times in my life"

"Why can't you fix the internet?"

"CUZ THE ROUTERS ON FIRE AND I DON'T DO TECH VOODOO"

Thankfully I grew up in a family who is not tech-adverse. And I try to distance myself from people who are to avoid this. But rarely I am on call for troubleshooting or advice.

But I can tell you one thing: I like the smell of new hardware that you install. Please tell me I'm not the only one who does.

23 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Thankfully I grew up in a family who is not tech-adverse. And I try to distance myself from people who are to avoid this. But rarely I am on call for troubleshooting or advice.

But I can tell you one thing: I like the smell of new hardware that you install. Please tell me I'm not the only one who does.

yah new computer parts for some reason have that new computer smell (especially power supplies have that smell when you pull them out of the box) it's kina like a new car has a new car smell

27 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

oh yes. unboxing my 970 and puting in my motherboard was orgasmic, same when i got my CPU cooler.

1 hour ago, kaiju_wars said:

30 minutes ago, ChickenCake248 said:

Very similarly, since I'm the only one in the family that actually knows anything about computers, they automatically assume that I know everything there is to know about anything tech related.

"Which battery bank should I buy?"

"idk, I don't use those"

i had to deal with that shit all the time seeing as in 7-9th grade i was litteraly the IT support at school. it was fun to fix shit, find exploits and stuff but people NOT FUCKING REALIZING THAT THE WIFI SWITCH SHOULD BE ON ON THE FUCKING LAPTOP pissed me off to the point i would barely even handle that shit. i would just say, "restart it, if there is still a problem check the wifi switch and after that bring it to me." but ofc noone listened ever... and now when i started highschool we got laptops, we were told we were getting I7s and GTX970s, we got the worst I5 from the skylake lineup(I5 6200U) and a fire pro card with 1GB VRAM and otherwise basically GTX 660M preformance... that pissed me of seeing as i couldent play CS:GO at 1080p at lowest settings and some people are suposed to use these for video editing, media creation and CAD wrok.... the 2nd and 3rd years even have better laptops then we do... -_- the main reason im pissed at this tho is that the principal said(translated from Swedish to Engligh by me)"The laptops you are getting are our best laptops EVER, because you cant go backwards in preformance, right?" and we whats basically a 720p machine...

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

9 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

i had to deal with that shit all the time seeing as in 7-9th grade i was litteraly the IT support at school. it was fun to fix shit, find exploits and stuff but people NOT FUCKING REALIZING THAT THE WIFI SWITCH SHOULD BE ON ON THE FUCKING LAPTOP pissed me off to the point i would barely even handle that shit. i would just say, "restart it, if there is still a problem check the wifi switch and after that bring it to me."

I used to be one of the tech-savvy students at my school (and occasionally had to help IT staff- my Wednesday afternoons were devoted to helping out my school's IT Services). Now I do this for a living. Interestingly enough, we've had very few issues that needed a reboot- usually it is just batteries running out or the wrong audio device selected.

46 minutes ago, ChickenCake248 said:

Apparently I'm having to train myself on Mac OS, since out of the three of us on the helpdesk, one is the Linux expert, the other is a Windows expert, which means I have to deal with the 40-or-so Mac users.

As for the Internet issues, our WAPs suddenly died (but we rebooted them and the server and it has worked so far, from what I saw the other week), because it seems like we cheaped out on them (Ubiquiti as well...), but that seems to be the most problematic thing with our Internet, although I haven't seen the full network configuration, since we're having to expand to the other side of the floor and cable it, so our layout will more than likely change.

3 minutes ago, ServerGuy said:

I used to be one of the tech-savvy students at my school (and occasionally had to help IT staff- my Wednesday afternoons were devoted to helping out my school's IT Services). Now I do this for a living. Interestingly enough, we've had very few issues that needed a reboot- usually it is just batteries running out or the wrong audio device selected.

Apparently I'm having to train myself on Mac OS, since out of the three of us on the helpdesk, one is the Linux expert, the other is a Windows expert, which means I have to deal with the 40-or-so Mac users.

As for the Internet issues, our WAPs suddenly died (but we rebooted them and the server and it has worked so far, from what I saw the other week), because it seems like we cheaped out on them (Ubiquiti as well...), but that seems to be the most problematic thing with our Internet, although I haven't seen the full network configuration, since we're having to expand to the other side of the floor and cable it, so our layout will more than likely change.

i would love to work in IT or computers in general after collage lol. building computers is just about the most fun i can think of, debuging whats working when it dosent start however is not that fun :P 

Builds:

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

oh yes. unboxing my 970 and puting in my motherboard was orgasmic, same when i got my CPU cooler.

i had to deal with that shit all the time seeing as in 7-9th grade i was litteraly the IT support at school. it was fun to fix shit, find exploits and stuff but people NOT FUCKING REALIZING THAT THE WIFI SWITCH SHOULD BE ON ON THE FUCKING LAPTOP pissed me off to the point i would barely even handle that shit. i would just say, "restart it, if there is still a problem check the wifi switch and after that bring it to me." but ofc noone listened ever... and now when i started highschool we got laptops, we were told we were getting I7s and GTX970s, we got the worst I5 from the skylake lineup(I5 6200U) and a fire pro card with 1GB VRAM and otherwise basically GTX 660M preformance... that pissed me of seeing as i couldent play CS:GO at 1080p at lowest settings and some people are suposed to use these for video editing, media creation and CAD wrok.... the 2nd and 3rd years even have better laptops then we do... -_- the main reason im pissed at this tho is that the principal said(translated from Swedish to Engligh by me)"The laptops you are getting are our best laptops EVER, because you cant go backwards in preformance, right?" and we whats basically a 720p machine...

Lol at my school we didn't get any machines and the only way we got a machine is if you needed one to do a project on and it wasn't yours to keep it was just one you borrow from a laptop for one 45min class period and you had to put it back into the laptop cart afterwards and had all of the blocks and limitations of the school's desktops which were old cloged up with dust Core 2 Duo Dell Optiplex machines and the laptops were just as old so you were lucky compared to the middle and high school I went to

14 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Also you'd be lucky if you can even get on any website on the computers in the schools I went to becuase they blocked stuff like youtube

1 minute ago, SuperShermanTanker said:

Lol at my school we didn't get any machines and the only way we got a machine is if you needed one to do a project on and it wasn't yours to keep it was just one you borrow from a laptop for one 45min class period and you had to put it back into the laptop cart afterwards and had all of the blocks and limitations of the school's desktops which were old cloged up with dust Core 2 Duo Dell Optiplex machines and the laptops were just as old so you were lucky compared to the middle and high school I went to

well the computers i had to be IT staff for were about 10 laptops that about 70 students fought over becaue EVERYONE needed to hand in there shit and it was all supsed to be written on a computer... i ended up gettin a laptop of my own that was basicallly my document slave seeing as the hinge has now decided to give up and is really broken lol

Builds:

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Samsonsuperco said:

The sound of a laptop or phone hitting the floor at school.

I actually saw that happen to a ThinkPad... let's just say that the teacher was (is) very accident-prone. It seemed to do a somersault in slow motion.

However, I've dropped several of my devices before (especially if there is no case on them)... none of them are broken. I've even abused my really old DL580 server (sat on it, etc. - to gain leverage on the really sticky top access panel) and that still works, somewhat (the PCI-X NIC doesn't seem to be detected in any OS, so I need to try and find drivers).

And touchwood, I won't drop my overrspecced work laptop... it has a 830M or something in it (although I currently can't take it- maybe once I've finished my training I can, in case I have to remote in to fix issues).

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

well the computers i had to be IT staff for were about 10 laptops that about 70 students fought over becaue EVERYONE needed to hand in there shit and it was all supsed to be written on a computer... i ended up gettin a laptop of my own that was basicallly my document slave seeing as the hinge has now decided to give up and is really broken lol

my laptop through high school was a Dell XPS M1210 and I used it from 2013-2016 and the machine was made in 2008 with 4gb of ram a 300gb hard drive and a 1.66ghz 32 bit intel Centrino so forget running CS-GO let alone Minecraft at around 10-24 fps and the machine still works somehow through all that wear and tear and after the hard drive was replaced when I got it because the original 90gb one as broken and barly working when it was given to me and with the replacement of the battery a few times throughout the years I used it the only damage you see other then the worn out paint around the palm area and a small tiny crack above the Ethernet port on a non structural spot

2 minutes ago, SuperShermanTanker said:

my laptop through high school was a Dell XPS M1210 and I used it from 2013-2016 and the machine was made in 2008 with 4gb of ram a 300gb hard drive and a 1.66ghz 32 bit intel Centrino so forget running CS-GO let alone Minecraft at around 10-24 fps and the machine still works somehow through all that wear and tear and after the hard drive was replaced when I got it because the original 90gb one as broken and barly working when it was given to me and with the replacement of the battery a few times throughout the years I used it the only damage you see other then the worn out paint around the palm area and a small tiny crack above the Ethernet port on a non structural spot

oh lol. my document slave has 2GB of RAM that cant be upgraded because th dual core Atom in it cant take any more lol. battery life was amazing IIRC lol

Builds:

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

oh lol. my document slave has 2GB of RAM that cant be upgraded because th dual core Atom in it cant take any more lol. battery life was amazing IIRC lol

Lol I barly got 1-2hours off that laptop's battery and now I have a late 2015 Alienware 13 laptop that I bought used with 3-6 hours of battery life for collage and it works great and can run CS-GO at over 100fps at 1080p plus is fast enough to run games like rise of the tomb raider and was able to run the battlefield 1 beta at close to medium settings at 1080p with it's 860m GPU and i7 5500U CPU so the performance is great but the battery life is lacking compared to a lot of those newer laptops and tablet/laptop convetables with 8 hours of battery

1 minute ago, SuperShermanTanker said:

Lol I barly got 1-2hours off that laptop's battery and now I have a late 2015 Alienware 13 laptop that I bought used with 3-6 hours of battery life for collage and it works great and can run CS-GO at over 100fps at 1080p plus is fast enough to run games like rise of the tomb raider and was able to run the battlefield 1 beta at close to medium settings at 1080p with it's 860m GPU and i7 5500U CPU

thats basically the preformance we were told we were getting but didnt get lol

Builds:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

thats basically the preformance we were told we were getting but didnt get lol

atleast you arent stuck with 3-6 hours of battery life with it being very difficult to find a plug when needed