Is my PSU good enough?

samocamo123

I bought a cheap 290 off eBay before realizing a 750w was recommended. I have a EVGA 500B PSU, and my specs are A10-6800k, XFX Reference 290, 8 GB of DDR3, and a Xonar DG sound card. Is the PSU enough?

It will probably work, but I recommend getting a better power supply 

Desktop: i7-6700K / Asus Z170 S / H100i V2 / LPX 2400Mhz 16GB / 960 EVO 250GB / 2x 860 EVO 500GB / RM750i  / NZXT H440 XB271H + Z22n Monitors

Laptop: Thinkpad T450s / i7-5600U / 12GB / 860 EVO 500GB

2 minutes ago, PCNoobie said:

no it is not.

Are you sure because I posted this on another forum also and they said it would be enough just no oc'ing because it is a very good 500w psu with enough amps on the 12V rail.

250W for the GPU, 100W for the CPU, <50W for the rest. Yeah 500W will work.

You'll be pushing the PSU fairly hard at full load though, combined with the below average quality I wouldn't expect it to last forever. And don't overclock.

Just now, Sakkura said:

250W for the GPU, 100W for the CPU, <50W for the rest. Yeah 500W will work.

You'll be pushing the PSU fairly hard at full load though, combined with the below average quality I wouldn't expect it to last forever. And don't overclock.

Will it atleast last for a couple of months so I can sell my old gpu/get more money for like a supernova g2?

The minimum wattage recommended that is written from the vga company is literally the minimum.

Just now, PCNoobie said:

The minimum wattage recommended that is written from the vga company is literally the minimum.

That's not what Luke said in the installing a new GPU video.

Just now, PCNoobie said:

No, it's literally exaggerated. They do that to account for garbage PSUs that can't output their rated power, and for systems with crazy power-hungry CPUs etc.

500W is probably borderline the minimum I would use considering overclocked 290s can breach 300W quite easily under load, however the quality of the 500B isn't fantastic and that poor little sleeve-bearing fan is going to have to run quite often to keep the PSU cool.

An upgrade to an EVGA 650GQ or 750B2 should do nicely.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

On 20/9/2016 at 7:01 PM, STRMfrmXMN said:

500W is probably borderline the minimum I would use considering overclocked 290s can breach 300W quite easily under load, however the quality of the 500B isn't fantastic and that poor little sleeve-bearing fan is going to have to run quite often to keep the PSU cool.

An upgrade to an EVGA 650GQ or 750B2 should do nicely.

It's a reference 290, it will throttle if you overclock much anyway. You can expect 250W or actually somewhat less.

The PSU will do perfectly fine for a couple months.