SATA3 Add-in Card

Fishstick

I bought a Samsung 840 Pro but my mother board does not have SATA 3 ports. I bought a SIIG add-in card for $25 (USD) and I get additional speeds but not the speed the drive promises. ( I get ~395 MB/s sequential reads and writes but the drive claims 540 MB/s read and 520 MB/s write. )

Are those numbers absolute best results? Are my speeds within normal range or is the card limiting speed.

Another issue I have is during boot. The card detects connected drives every time I boot the machine after the POST and then goes back to the BOIS splash screen before continuing. Then once booted into Windows, the start-up process hangs for a while before playing the Windows logo animation. This was not a problem when connected to the SATA2 ports on the motherboard.

Any help or additional information about SATA3 add-in cards would be welcome as well.

Unfortunately there is no way of getting around the issue of speed unless you opt for professional level equipment. Cheap SATA 3 cards will not deliver, and I believe some say they're not meant to be used for SSDs. You really should have a newer generation motherboard if you want to take full advantage of an SSD. Regardless you will get much better speeds than a hard drive even if you use a SATA 2 port.

As for the startup issues, those cards are also not

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

I'm going to go out on a limb and say AHCI mode vs IDE mode? Don't quite understand the way the card would interact with the BIOS but it's worth a shot. As for your second problem, it's probably just because you're running the boot drive from a PCI Slot and I'm going to go out on an even further limb and say the PCI slots are further down the computers list of 'to-do's' when starting up. However I can't for the life of me figure out your post boot issue.

I suppose its just limitations of the add-in card. The boot up time increase isn't not problem really. I still boot in about 50 seconds. The SSD is still very fast and I will have it for quite some time. I have a 1366 processor and I don't think upgrading just the motherboard is worth it.

And I will just disregard the fact that Windows gives me the option to eject the SSD.

520mb/s is theoretical, your speeds are fine. Just make sure you are running in AHCI mode.

Current rig: i5 2500k & Gtx 560ti With Filco MJ1 TKL & Neutron Gtx 120gb SSD

Unfortunately there is no way of getting around the issue of speed unless you opt for professional level equipment. Cheap SATA 3 cards will not deliver, and I believe some say they're not meant to be used for SSDs. You really should have a newer generation motherboard if you want to take full advantage of an SSD. Regardless you will get much better speeds than a hard drive even if you use a SATA 2 port.

As for the startup issues, those cards are also not

It is not the best solution, but it will still be way faster than a HDD. Plus you can re-use it in a future build at full speed. Don't get a SATA 2 ssd, they're very expensive compared to SATA 3 version. So yes, get one.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking