4770 an 8 core??

My instructor just told me that the class computers had 8 core cpus. I checked what they had and found it was a 4770. The 4770 is a quad core cpu with 8 threads when ht is enabled of course. By amd's definition, a hyperthreaded 4770 would by an octocore. But intel doesnt advertise them as octocores. So is my instrucor technically wrong by calling a 4770 an "8 core" cpu?

No, that's not AMD's definition of a core. If you're referring to AMD's cores sharing resources within a module, that's not the same as hyperthreading. 

HT is scheduling to better use the core. 

Your instructor is wrong and the 4770 is a quad core cpu. I'm guessing your instructor look at the Task Manager and saw CPU 0-7. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

he's wrong, your definition is correct. an 8 core would be something like an e5 2670, i7 5960x or an fx 8XXX/9XXX. and no, amd cores work differently from intel cores.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Because AMD has a architecutre with two physical core units which allows them to technically call it an 8 core. Intel hyper threading just better improves the 4 cores into being able to do 2 tasks.

I'm sure someone will be more technical

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

11 minutes ago, DeadlyPilot said:

By amd's definition, a hyperthreaded 4770 would by an octocore.

No it wouldn't be

Amd's 8 cores have 8 interget units, so 8 cores. They only have 4 floating point units and share cache, but they can run 8 tasks at one.

The intel quads can only do 4 things at once, but have smt so you can better use the cores.