Stable Overclock

Go to solution Solved by Imakuni,
5 minutes ago, DualZone said:

I just overclocked my Core i7-6700k To 4.4 Ghz. I have the kraken x61 and it came with its cam software. If i am getting between 4395 and 4404 Mhz is that considered a not stable over clock?

There's always a little bit of fluctuation in the core, that's normal. We usually say "4.4ghz" for the sake of convenience, but in reality the clock is always going a bit above or below the target. Not to say that your OC is in fact stable, but assuming it's not, that core fluctuation is not the reason.

7 minutes ago, DualZone said:

Also at idle my computer is at 25-30 C and at 100% load it instantly jumps to 50-60 C. That is obviously not right so is there a way to get the actual temp. instead of going off of the load ratio

And why would you say it's not? Sounds perfectly normal to me, nothing stands out as wrong...

...depending on the voltage and ambient temps, which you've made no mention to. Or even the kind of load, which is probably even more important than the two other things I just said.

I just overclocked my Core i7-6700k To 4.4 Ghz. I have the kraken x61 and it came with its cam software. If i am getting between 4395 and 4404 Mhz is that considered a not stable over clock? I would like to push for at least 4600Mhz. Also at idle my computer is at 25-30 C and at 100% load it instantly jumps to 50-60 C. That is obviously not right so is there a way to get the actual temp. instead of going off of the load ratio.

Kinda confused on what you just said but keep raising the voltage and frequency. However as you raise the voltage, there is much more heat being produced by the CPU. Under 100% load with Aida 64 preferably, The temperatures should not exceed 75-80C to be safe. I'd say you could get at least 4.6ghz out of that thing.

[CPU: 4.3 GHZ I5-4670K] [MB: Gigabyte Z87-D3H] [RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1833 MHZ (8GB)]

[GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1070] [PSU: Corsair CX-750] [Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo]
[Storage: 2TB 7200RPM HDD / 500GB Samsung 850 EVO ] [Case: ThermalTake Chaser-MK 1]

[Keyboard:Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX] [Mouse: Razer DeathAdder] [Monitor: 2 x ASUS 24 INCH IPS (1440p Soon)]

The clock speed varying a little bit is normal. The oc is unstable if the system crashes or behaves strangely because of it.

It only takes a moment to jump from 20-60c at load--that's normal.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

In order to check whether it is stable you need to check whether it can run a stress test such as AIDA64 for an extended period of time. You should be able to get 4.6GHz out of a 6700k. Check out the overclocking guide below, it should help to give you an idea of personally what YOUR 6700k is possible of.

A really nice overclocking guide that goes in depth: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/384756-How-Overvolting-Works-The-Dangers-of-Overvolting-and-quot-Safe-quot-Overvolting-Technique

5 minutes ago, DualZone said:

I just overclocked my Core i7-6700k To 4.4 Ghz. I have the kraken x61 and it came with its cam software. If i am getting between 4395 and 4404 Mhz is that considered a not stable over clock?

There's always a little bit of fluctuation in the core, that's normal. We usually say "4.4ghz" for the sake of convenience, but in reality the clock is always going a bit above or below the target. Not to say that your OC is in fact stable, but assuming it's not, that core fluctuation is not the reason.

7 minutes ago, DualZone said:

Also at idle my computer is at 25-30 C and at 100% load it instantly jumps to 50-60 C. That is obviously not right so is there a way to get the actual temp. instead of going off of the load ratio

And why would you say it's not? Sounds perfectly normal to me, nothing stands out as wrong...

...depending on the voltage and ambient temps, which you've made no mention to. Or even the kind of load, which is probably even more important than the two other things I just said.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!