svchost.exe taking up 50% of my CPU (windows 7)

Anjroo

5cd9cac26874427dc1af3c996e990eb1.png
https://gyazo.com/5cd9cac26874427dc1af3c996e990eb1 A process called "svchost.exe" is taking up around 50% of my cpu.

Whats funny is a couple days ago my computer was just fine, I didn't even download anything since then.

I searched for rootkits and malware, restarted my computer and last time I disabled the process (and restarted my computer), it didn't help and I think it was screwing up my computer so I did a system restore, but the problem is still there.

Could someone please help with this?

Thanks

1) open cmd
2) type "net stop wuauserv"

done 

(btw its windows update)

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

svchost.exe is just a name windows gives to a program that it really has no name for but it internet related. In most cases it is a malware but it can also be like windows updates running in the background.

Do a malware scan, if you find nothing, just right click the process and say end then do a restart and see if it returns.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

3 minutes ago, Leonard said:

svchost.exe is just a name windows gives to a program that it really has no name for but it internet related. In most cases it is a malware but it can also be like windows updates running in the background.

Do a malware scan, if you find nothing, just right click the process and say end then do a restart and see if it returns.

I did all that and it came back after restart.

SVCHost isn't really a specific thing, it's just a background process. Service host. A process that hosts services. It manages audio, apps, updates, ect.

Win Key + R ---> resmon

It'll open up the resource monitor, which will give you a much better idea of what exactly is using this processing power. It'll allow you to look into the svchost process and see what it's actually doing so that you can track the issue down.

Just now, Anjroo said:

Well I have this problem too. Disable wuaserv.exe in your services and you should be good for a little while. Sometimes though, it'll take up half my RAM on idle, so don't expect this to be the end of your svchost problems. 

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

Just now, Anjroo said:

What did you use to do the scan with?,,,,and Jesus H. Christ, don't tell me it is Norton/Windows Defender/McAfee.

Check windows update and see what is listed as available updated if you see anything then do the updates if you want or you can just right click them and say hide. 

These are quite hard to diagnose as it can actually be a legitimate windows process executing in the background.

Just now, Leonard said:

What did you use to do the scan with?,,,,and Jesus H. Christ, don't tell me it is Norton/Windows Defender/McAfee.

Check windows update and see what is listed as available updated if you see anything then do the updates if you want or you can just right click them and say hide. 

These are quite hard to diagnose as it can actually be a legitimate windows process executing in the background.

I scanned with malwarebyts and rkill, but that doesn't matter because disabling it with cmd worked.

13 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

1) open cmd
2) type "net stop wuauserv"

done 

(btw its windows update)

thanks!

4 minutes ago, Anjroo said:

I scanned with malwarebyts and rkill, but that doesn't matter because disabling it with cmd worked.

You shouldn't have disabled it because it is windows update and you should leave that to run and choose what you want to update but if it works for you then cool.

Just set windows update to "never check for updates". You can manually search whenever, so this doesn't do anything bad. No need to disable the service entirely.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday