Safe GPU temperature

I have a problem with my PNY GTX 760 2GB, for some reason, it’s running hotter than normal, with MSI Afterburner locking at 80°C, core clock stays at 980MHz (default core clock), when I set it to 95°C (afterburner’s limit) it goes up to 95°C~97°C and 1124MHz (max GPU boost clock).

The thing is, is it safe to run at this temperature? According to PNY website, anything below 105°C is fine, a lot of people say that it shouldn’t run hotter than 90°C, what do you guys think?

No, 105c is very high and you should try to keep temps below 80-90c at load.

Can you post a link to where it states that anything below 105c is fine?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Too hot. Everything above 85° should take care of. The Card downclock and the lifespan could be reduced.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Just now, Murilo_A said:

105c is when it will shut down to prevent any damage. It's not a healthy temperature to run the card at if you want it to last.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

3 minutes ago, Praesi said:

Too hot. Everything above 85° should take care of. The Card downclock and the lifespan could be reduced.

When I had a bug with afterburner that it locked the fan speed to 30%, the GPU would only downclock when it was above 100C

Just now, WoodenMarker said:

105c is when it will shut down to prevent any damage. It's not a healthy temperature to run the card at if you want it to last.

Actually, this is the temperature the card starts to downclock, never saw it shutting down when it got to this temperature

Try a manual 100% fan speed and give it a realistic stress like Unigine. No Furmark. If it's still too hot, you should try replacing the thermal paste on that cooler.

CPU: i7 4770K  |  Corsair H80i  |  ASUS Z87-Pro  |  8GB Corsair 1866Mhz  |  GPU: MSI Gaming X RX 480 8GB  |  Corsair HX  750

2 minutes ago, Funtron5000 said:

Try a manual 100% fan speed and give it a realistic stress like Unigine. No Furmark. If it's still too hot, you should try replacing the thermal paste on that cooler.

Even at auto fan speed it gets to 100%

Well, if you can monitor voltage in Afterburner, is it going up very high or no?

CPU: i7 4770K  |  Corsair H80i  |  ASUS Z87-Pro  |  8GB Corsair 1866Mhz  |  GPU: MSI Gaming X RX 480 8GB  |  Corsair HX  750

1 minute ago, Murilo_A said:

Even at auto fan speed it gets to 100%

Well, if you can monitor voltage in Afterburner, is it going up very high or no?

85 Celsius is where I set my max

You can make your fans go faster to keep temps there

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 minute ago, Funtron5000 said:

I can't test it right now but I don't think so

as was mentioned earlier, reapply the thermal paste

Core i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz cooled by a Corsair H100i GTX
EVGA Z170 FTW w/ 16gb GSkill Trident Z DDR4 3333mhz
EVGA GTX980 SC @ 1501mhz
Asus ROG Swift PG278Q
Phanteks Enthoo Pro M w/ EVGA 1000 P2
Samsung 960 Evo M.2 512GB -- OS
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB -- games

Just now, un4givn85 said:

Yeah. My 760 never got that high and was overclocked to 1298MHz.

9 minutes ago, Murilo_A said:

Actually, this is the temperature the card starts to downclock, never saw it shutting down when it got to this temperature

That's strange. The max safe temp for a gtx 760 according to Nvidia should be 97c. 

2 minutes ago, Energycore said:

85 Celsius is where I set my max

You can make your fans go faster to keep temps there

GPU fan gets to 100% when running at this temperature, with both the case fans at 100%, I haven't seen any difference at all

1 minute ago, Murilo_A said:

GPU fan gets to 100% when running at this temperature, with both the case fans at 100%, I haven't seen any difference at all

Undervolt the GPU :D

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

5 minutes ago, un4givn85 said:

Some time ago, I have overclocked it, around 1200MHz and 80C, I might try to reapply the thermal paste

44 minutes ago, Murilo_A said:

When I had a bug with afterburner that it locked the fan speed to 30%, the GPU would only downclock when it was above 100C

100°! is the Temp the GPU starts to melt. ;)

No, serious, everything above 80-85° is bad. You maybe have some serious Airflow Issues or you live in the Sahara.

And who told you the GPU starts downclock at 100°? Thats 100% wrong.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

1 minute ago, Praesi said:

100°! is the Temp the GPU starts to melt. ;)

No, serious, everything above 80-85° is bad. You maybe have some serious Airflow Issues or you live in the Sahara.

And who told you the GPU starts downclock at 100°? Thats 100% wrong.

I don't think I have any airflow issue, but I might try to figure that out

As already mentioned I had a bug where the fan speed was locked at 30%, so as soon as I started gaming, the temperature would get to +100C and the it started to downclock, and I haven't seen any downclock with the GPU running at 95C

You are fine. You will not damage the GPU at 100C.

I am not sure why people seem to think that these temps would cause damage or reduce life span in a noticeable way. Remember that the CPU die is made of copper and silicon. Which have melting points over 1000 degrees celcius!

The concern with heat has to do with solder. High heat will melt the solder that makes up the electrical connections within the CPU. So that can be as low as 160 degrees celcius. But you will be perfectly fine at 100. As long as your temps are not hot enough to  melt the solder you are fine, and those temps will do nothing to reduce the lifespan of a die made of copper/silicon.

Just check to make sure thermal paste is properly applied and still in good condition, nothing more you can do.