Whats the bootleneck?

So it might sound a bit silly, but I'm not a PC guru so I thught it would be better to ask before buying new stuff. 

My problem appears when I'm playing BF4 and loads of explosions are going off. Then my FPS go on ultra settings from 60 to around 20 frames. When I looked up on Msi Afterburner I saw that my Cpu was hitting 100% workload and my Ram(2x4GB) was used to around 7-7.5 GB. 

Now my question: is my old Cpu, an elder I5 3350P, the bottleneck for my brand new Gtx 980 ti, or is it the slowness and less amount of DDR3 Ram?

The MoBo is an Asus P8 z77-v lx if it matters.

example.PNG

I guess it's the cpu, also have you checked memory speeds?

BF games are known to be impacted by RAM, usually just a few percent but it's worth to check anyway :)

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Possibly your CPU though as Sam said, make sure something isn't going on in the background when you are playing, Window's has had something randomly start happening and drop my FPS by a ton.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

7 minutes ago, OCXenox said:

Now my question: is my old Cpu, an elder I5 3350P, the bottleneck for my brand new Gtx 980 ti, or is it the slowness and less amount of DDR3 Ram?

It's a little surprising to me that your framerate falls so far, but it does look like your CPU could be the cause.

I doubt your RAM is the cause. BF4 is a 3 year old game, you cannot be expected to have DDR4 to maintain 60 FPS.

Would say CPU for sure. The RAM is most likely a side effect from your CPU, in the way that the RAM can't offload all data asap leading to a que. This last is just my thought and first logic on how it works, so maybe am talking crazy stuff. But the CPU for sure.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

I don't think its the ram at all 8g is more then enough for bf4 but if your cpu is 100% that should be a dead give a way games hardly use more then 65% for the cpu most of the time bf4 is normally at  45% with me and I'm using a amd fx8350

Wow thanks for the fast respond!

But now there appears another question is it worth looking for a better 1155 cpu so I can keep my mobo, or should I go for a 1151 socket cpu like a I5 6600(which means new mobo and ram i guess)?

For better future possibilty would say spend more now on 1151 platform then. Take a Z170 board, the CPU if possible also a K already (6500 up should be good for a while but 6700K is best ofcourse) and that probably also means DDR4. But in the long run it might be cheaper. Even if no real OCer take an K. It can make the difference between a year or 2 extra lifespan once it gets edgy.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list