i7 6700. How long will it last?

Hey,

So i havent been in the pc gaming community for long and id like to ask a question for the veterans of this community. I recently got my new pc which runs with an i7 6700. Id like to know, based on your past experiences, how long you think its going to last before an upgrade is needed (keep in mind im not refering to it degrading and braking down, im talking about how much time i can get good performance out of that sucker).
thanks.

Few years.

Probably until Intel stops charging $300 for quad core with hyper threading.

I just bought one as well and my plan is to use it for like 5+ years. I know with that I will probably need to upgrade a few things along the way but I dont expect to much. 

It is a hyperthreaded quad core at 3.4ghz. it is more likely that your other components will fail and be outdated than this CPU if you intend to use it for gaming. I wouldn't think too much about the CPU. Keep in mind you can still have a satisfactory experience with a core2quad and that's been around a long time ago, so that should give you a rough idea.

3 minutes ago, dexxterlab97 said:

Few years.

well ive heard few in the context of 10 and also of 2 so could you be more specific?

2 minutes ago, dams3 said:

well ive heard few in the context of 10 and also of 2 so could you be more specific?

its impossible to speculate as it depends on your usage, and expectations

id say a good 5 years before it begins to bottlenecks AAA games and it should be good for content creation and regular use for a good 5-10 years

but if you start do higher end things it might only give you 2-3 years

if you browse the web, it might last 20 years

are you making word documents, or rendering the observable universe in 8k VR

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

4 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

its impossible to speculate as it depends on your usage, and expectations

id say a good 5 years before it begins to bottlenecks AAA games and it should be good for content creation and regular use for a good 5-10 years

but if you start do higher end things it might only give you 2-3 years

if you browse the web, it might last 20 years

are you making word documents, or rendering the observable universe in 8k VR

im planning for a co op experience with a triple 8k monitor set up and two vives connected at the same time

Just now, dams3 said:

im planning for a co op experience with a triple 8k monitor set up and two vives connected at the same time

minus 3 years

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

10 minutes ago, Vadise said:

It is a hyperthreaded quad core at 3.4ghz. it is more likely that your other components will fail and be outdated than this CPU if you intend to use it for gaming. I wouldn't think too much about the CPU. Keep in mind you can still have a satisfactory experience with a core2quad and that's been around a long time ago, so that should give you a rough idea.

im planning to upgrade the other components dont worry :P

11 minutes ago, Adalhelm said:

I just bought one as well and my plan is to use it for like 5+ years. I know with that I will probably need to upgrade a few things along the way but I dont expect to much. 

yea ill probably upgrade the gpu in 2-3 years and then think about the cpu

1 minute ago, ShadowCaptain said:

minus 3 years

i will also run it without thermal paste or a fan and turn my pc into a custom toaster as well. How long do you think that will last me?

Just now, dams3 said:

i will also run it without thermal paste or a fan and turn my pc into a custom toaster as well. How long do you think that will last me?

This is your house

Series-GFX-Re-Nuclear-series-post.png

1 minute ago, ShadowCaptain said:

This is your house

Series-GFX-Re-Nuclear-series-post.png

jesus.. i read your description. You have many laptops

A bloody long time. The i7-2600k launched in Q1 2011 and it's still "relevant" today (you just need to overclock it a bit.) The 2600k is nearing its "end of life" for top performance. 

I would say around 5 years, but that would be with the 6700k (before you'd need to overclock to get good performance.) For the 6700, around the same time, but you won't be able to overclock it to extend its life.

14 minutes ago, Vadise said:

Keep in mind you can still have a satisfactory experience with a core2quad and that's been around a long time ago, so that should give you a rough idea.

Not really. The best C2Q really doesn't hold up in AAA titles these days, especially ones with terrible optimization (not the CPU's fault, but still) or any game with heavy emphasis on multiplayer (BF1.)

I used to be quite active here.

1 minute ago, dams3 said:

jesus.. i read your description. You have many laptops

Yeah probably not got everything listed tbh either haha there is a chromebook, 7" EEE and a crappy A10 HP 15.6" around the house too

5 minutes ago, dams3 said:

Lol, no it will not do that ever, an i5 is minimum to run vr, so you would need at least a six cpu to split it in two with 2 vms running pretty much a hyperthreaded triple core on each, but gpus haven't even caught up to 4k triple screen so wait for nvidia 5xxx gpus, or amd rx 8xx series.

3 minutes ago, dams3 said:

It shuts down before the max temp is reached so even if you do that the chip could still last years.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

5 minutes ago, dams3 said:

I suppose you could run it without a cooler, but don't expect it to run faster than 800 MHz, as it's going to throttle and possibly even thermtrip.

If you're just playing games, even a Sandy Bridge i7-2600K/i7-2700K, released in 2011, can competently run most of the latest AAA games at max settings even without requiring an overclock, provided the GPU can handle it. There really hasn't been all that much improvement in IPC since then.

Just now, SLAYR said:

Lol, no it will not do that ever, an i5 is minimum to run vr, so you would need at least a six cpu to split it in two with 2 vms running pretty much a hyperthreaded triple core on each, but gpus haven't even caught up to 4k triple screen so wait for nvidia 5xxx gpus, or amd rx 8xx series.

It shuts down before the max temp is reached so even if you do that the chip could still last years.

i was not serious with that set up, for gods sake xD

26 minutes ago, dams3 said:

i was not serious with that set up, for gods sake xD

I have heard more outrageous serious question's then that, you would be suspised about what people think they can  do with computers.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

1 hour ago, Vadise said:

It is a hyperthreaded quad core at 3.4ghz.

*4.0/3.9/3.8/3.7, not 3.4ghz (at a 1/2/3/4 core load).

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

My i5-750 was fine for 60 FPS in most games from 2009 through 2015, but that was a period of time during which Intel improved their CPUs at a glacial pace. I think 2–3 years is a very safe bet for a current-generation high-end CPU, but you may hang onto it for a lot longer if Intel keeps going like they have.

The 2600 and 2600k are still very relevant for gaming at 5 years old, and with the constant 5% ipc updates and reaching the limits of clock speeds, I don't see any reason why the 6700 won't be relevant for just as long.