How many fans can run off a single motherboard connector?

orangecat

I just want to know I'm not goign to do it but I wanted to know how many fans could I run off like a CPU connector or case fan connector.

CPU connector - only the CPU cooler fan. Esp if PWM, can be specific for the CPU temps. Most connectors you only want to use one fan. Typically they only have low wattage outputs. Want to run multiple fans of a connector, get a decent fan controller.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

1 amp is the average power to a motherboard header. I have up to 3 fans running off each of mine as they are 0.32A fans. I cheaped out and didn't get a fan controller.

i5 2500k, MSI Z77 Mpower, 4x4 GB Musking Enhanced Blackline. MSI N560GTX-Ti Hawk(temporary), Samsung 830 128, Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution 750w

i would say a total of 3-4 fan on a single motherboard fan header should be fine

Check your motherboard manual and power ratings for your fans, you can run as many as you like as long as you don't exceed the amperage limit of your motherboard fan connectors.

Why would u need to connect all those fans to ur mobo and why dont u use a fan controller? i use a NZXT sentry 2 and its pretty great.

Why would u need to connect all those fans to ur mobo and why dont u use a fan controller? i use a NZXT sentry 2 and its pretty great.

Some people don't want to buy fan controller. Considering my mobo has 5 PWM headers on it I am running 9 fans in total on the 5 headers. 3 on some, 2 on some, 1 on some.

i5 2500k, MSI Z77 Mpower, 4x4 GB Musking Enhanced Blackline. MSI N560GTX-Ti Hawk(temporary), Samsung 830 128, Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution 750w

I don't think you can answer this question safely or correctly without knowing which fans you are talking about.

And here's why

I've got a CM 200mm fan sitting next to me which has a maximum current draw of 0.3 Amps so if a motherboard header could provide 1 Amp then I could probably put 3 on a single header without a problem.

I've also got some SUNON 80mm 5000rpm screamers that draw 1.04 Amps so I theoretically couldn't connect 1 safely to the motherboard.

It usually states somewhere what the max current capability of a fan header is in your motherboard manual (asus only states for the cpu fan @1Amp) but if you make the assumption that all headers are capable of 1Amp then you might be ok. (Without seeing the etch schematic it wouldn't be possible to state factually that the traces will allow 1Amp on all headers)

I don't think you can answer this question safely or correctly without knowing which fans you are talking about. And here's why I've got a CM 200mm fan sitting next to me which has a maximum current draw of 0.3 Amps so if a motherboard header could provide 1 Amp then I could probably put 3 on a single header without a problem. I've also got some SUNON 80mm 5000rpm screamers that draw 1.04 Amps so I theoretically couldn't connect 1 safely to the motherboard. It usually states somewhere what the max current capability of a fan header is in your motherboard manual (asus only states for the cpu fan @1Amp) but if you make the assumption that all headers are capable of 1Amp then you might be ok. (Without seeing the etch schematic it wouldn't be possible to state factually that the traces will allow 1Amp on all headers)

From what I have read in the past your fans will automatically undervolt to whatever the header provides if they draw more power then is given. I had to post and ask this same question on a different forum when I decided not to use a fan controller and run all my fans via mobo headers. I didn't want to make my precious smoke or fizzle and go boom. :P Theoretically you could put 10 fans on 1 header but they will all severely undervolt..... or so I have been told.

Depends on the fans.

to allways be safe, I say 3 and not a lot more. but it also matters if you use a nexus real silent fan or a delta fan :P

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff."

Dont understimate my skillsz, you might look foolish.

It really depends on your fans. Figure out the max output of your headers, then figure out how much each of your fans draw.

how much amperage do you think a 32ga or smaller wire can hold? what powers the headers are

very, very small, thin and delicate traces of copper. ampacity charts show @ 20° a 32ga (.008" wire)

can hold a .53A load. yeah, ive run 6 fans from a header.. and nothing happened.. but who wants

that choice? use PWM fans looped to poer wfrom molex and PWM to header and control from there

and power from the PSU.

airdeano

Check your motherboard manual and power ratings for your fans' date=' you can run as many as you like as long as you don't exceed the amperage limit of your motherboard fan connectors.[/quote']

I don't think you can answer this question safely or correctly without knowing which fans you are talking about. And here's why I've got a CM 200mm fan sitting next to me which has a maximum current draw of 0.3 Amps so if a motherboard header could provide 1 Amp then I could probably put 3 on a single header without a problem. I've also got some SUNON 80mm 5000rpm screamers that draw 1.04 Amps so I theoretically couldn't connect 1 safely to the motherboard. It usually states somewhere what the max current capability of a fan header is in your motherboard manual (asus only states for the cpu fan @1Amp) but if you make the assumption that all headers are capable of 1Amp then you might be ok. (Without seeing the etch schematic it wouldn't be possible to state factually that the traces will allow 1Amp on all headers)

both are very right. you need to know your mobo and fan before you try to pull too much amperage from one header. just research both and you will find your answer