Picking up a Motherboard - LGA1151

Hi guys, I'm here in a look out for a motherboard to fit in these specs:

i7 6700 (without K, not going to overclock, so if anyone can tell me the benefits of picking up K ver than the non K would appreciate it)

4 slots of DDR4 RAM rated at PC19200 (I don't mind if it runs slower, but prefer to run at it's rated speed)

Single GTX1070 (non SLI)

atleast one (1) PCI Slot. PCI, not PCI-E.

min of 4 usb ports onboard (more is good)

My current candidate is the Asus Z170-A and the Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3, but since i'm going to use non K cpu (once again tell me the benefits of K ver else than overclocking) buying Z170 chipset would most likely be a waste of money. But sure, throw in your opinions, I appreciate all of it.

Thanks in advance,

Tenzo

EDIT: One thing I forgot to tell you guys is that this PC will mainly be used for programming and rendering, so CPU and GPU will be stressed out alot.

CPU i7-7700K @5.2GHz     Motherboard ASUS MAXIMUS IX FORMULA     RAM 2 Kits of TridentZ RGB F4-3866C18D-32GTZR     GPU 2 of ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1070 AMP Extreme

Case be quiet! dark base pro 900 black     Storage 4 of 6TB WD RED (on server), 2 of Samsung 850 PRO 1TB (on RAID 0), Samsung 960 PRO 512GB M.2 NVMe, Intel 400GB 750 Series

PSU Corsair HX850i     Cooling EK-RES X3 250, EK-XTOP Revo Dual D5 PWM, EK-Supremacy EVO Gold, EK-Coolstream CE 420, Black Ice GTS420, 7 of EK-Furious Vardar FF4-140

Spoiler

Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB PLATINUM     Keycaps Mionix Frosting + Mionix Ice Cream     Mouse Razer Mamba Chroma + Steelseries Sensei Wireless

Mousepad Custom printed by evghapad.id     Headset Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO 250 Ohm     DAC audioengine D1     Speaker Custom designed 7.1 by ss-audio

Microphone AntLion ModMic 4     Monitor 3 of LG 29UM58-P, 2 of Samsung C27F390     Controller XBOX ONE Elite Wireless, 3 of Sony PlayStation DS4

I own the Asus Z170-A, and I actually use the legacy PCI slot for an old sound card that I'm convinced outperforms the board's onboard audio. Works fine, though the PCI card will very nearly touch a dual-slot video card. If the video card sags a lot, it could touch the card. It hasn't been a problem, but it does make me a bit nervous. It looks like the GA-Z170-HD3 avoids this.

As far as I know you'll need a Z170 motherboard if you want to use XMP to run memory at speeds faster than 2133 MHz.

21 minutes ago, SLAYR said:

A b150/h170 is cheaper and fits your needs.

EDIT: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/hMbkcf/asus-motherboard-b150mccsm

Hi and thanks for replying. What is the difference between B150 and H170? You only linked a B150, just curious. o.O

17 minutes ago, typographie said:

I own the Asus Z170-A, and I actually use the legacy PCI slot for an old sound card that I'm convinced outperforms the board's onboard audio. Works fine, though the PCI card will very nearly touch a dual-slot video card. If the video card sags a lot, it could touch the card. It hasn't been a problem, but it does make me a bit nervous. It looks like the GA-Z170-HD3 avoids this.

As far as I know you'll need a Z170 motherboard if you want to use XMP to run memory at speeds faster than 2133 MHz.

Hi and thanks for replying. Yeah, I picked up that board for a friend of mine who also picked up a 6700K and I should say that the board was ok, but the BIOS is somewhat awkward.. Yeah the GA-Z170-HD3 sounds promising but without that plates on top of the I/O ports (white cover in the Z170-A) makes it looks somewhat cheaper and simpler.. But it's still ok though. I haven't dealt with Gigabytes so IDK about their after sales here, but the boards somewhat cost way cheaper than the Z170-A. The B150 that SLAYR just linked said that it is rated for 2133MHz. I dont really get the conversion from this PCyadayada to yadayadaMHz. 9_9

Wait. No one is going to argue about K and non K ver of 6700? :x

CPU i7-7700K @5.2GHz     Motherboard ASUS MAXIMUS IX FORMULA     RAM 2 Kits of TridentZ RGB F4-3866C18D-32GTZR     GPU 2 of ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1070 AMP Extreme

Case be quiet! dark base pro 900 black     Storage 4 of 6TB WD RED (on server), 2 of Samsung 850 PRO 1TB (on RAID 0), Samsung 960 PRO 512GB M.2 NVMe, Intel 400GB 750 Series

PSU Corsair HX850i     Cooling EK-RES X3 250, EK-XTOP Revo Dual D5 PWM, EK-Supremacy EVO Gold, EK-Coolstream CE 420, Black Ice GTS420, 7 of EK-Furious Vardar FF4-140

Spoiler

Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB PLATINUM     Keycaps Mionix Frosting + Mionix Ice Cream     Mouse Razer Mamba Chroma + Steelseries Sensei Wireless

Mousepad Custom printed by evghapad.id     Headset Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO 250 Ohm     DAC audioengine D1     Speaker Custom designed 7.1 by ss-audio

Microphone AntLion ModMic 4     Monitor 3 of LG 29UM58-P, 2 of Samsung C27F390     Controller XBOX ONE Elite Wireless, 3 of Sony PlayStation DS4

Just now, TenzoNakami said:

Hi and thanks for replying. What is the difference between B150 and H170? You only linked a B150, just curious. 

B150 usually has more buisness features.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

1 minute ago, SLAYR said:

B150 usually has more buisness features.

Well.. But what is "Business" features? o.O

Anyway I forgot to mention that I'm looking for a pretty decent onboard audio with 7.1 output prefered.. If there is any somehow.

Thanks for helping anyway.

Spoiler

It is wheighting the options yes, but the 6700K does actually already run faster stock speeds and doesn't cost that much more. Also a small OC for the future can increase your usable lifespan or if you OC right away assist your workloads right now. A small OC is no big deal and requires no exotic tinkering besides a few simple bios settings. Are simple guides out there that even a new to OC eprson should make a nice bump. But thats up to you.

If you have decent aircooler you can get a nice bump in performance for no extra cost,a nd since you don't going for max OC temps and powerconsumption should still be decent.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

10 minutes ago, TenzoNakami said:

I dont really get the conversion from this PCyadayada to yadayadaMHz. 9_9

You don't see the PC##### notation very often. I have no idea how they come up with those numbers. I personally stick to DDR4-#### for simplicity and because that relates directly to clock speed and transfer rates.

10 minutes ago, TenzoNakami said:

Wait. No one is going to argue about K and non K ver of 6700? :x

Not from me, it's up to you if you want to overclock. I don't see any problem with the i7-6700. You could look into the Skylake Xeon E3's if you like, maybe you can find a slightly better deal there depending on local pricing. Just be aware the quad-core Skylake Xeons require motherboards with the C232 or C236 chipsets, they are incompatible with the mainstream chipsets.

5 minutes ago, Gonio said:

It is wheighting the options yes, but the 6700K does actually already run faster stock speeds and doesn't cost that much more. Also a small OC for the future can increase your usable lifespan or if you OC right away assist your workloads right now. A small OC is no big deal and requires no exotic tinkering besides a few simple bios settings. Are simple guides out there that even a new to OC eprson should make a nice bump. But thats up to you.

If you have decent aircooler you can get a nice bump in performance for no extra cost,a nd since you don't going for max OC temps and powerconsumption should still be decent.

I only have experience with overclocking the old Xeon and Core series. The cooler is X61 from NZXT, I'm going to salvage it from my old PC. The PSU is from bequiet! and is rated at 600W (SYSTEM POWER 8). And yay, it's great to see someone with new stuff like this xD

1 minute ago, typographie said:

You don't see the PCXXXXX notation very often. I personally stick to DDR4-#### for simplicity, since that relates directly to clock speed and transfer rates.

Not from me, it's up to you if you want to overclock. I don't see any problem with the i7-6700. You could look into the Skylake Xeon E3's if you like, maybe you can find a slightly better deal there depending on local pricing. Just be aware the quad-core Skylake Xeons require motherboards with the C232 or C236 chipsets, they are incompatible with the mainstream chipsets.

Well, not in my country tho. It's a lame, but yeah people here still uses the PC-yadayada stuff which makes me confused.

So if I'm going to use the E3 I'll need non-mainstream mobo? It's a no no here since that stuff is kinda "Legendary" to find here.

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, TenzoNakami said:

So if I'm going to use the E3 I'll need non-mainstream mobo? It's a no no here since that stuff is kinda "Legendary" to find here.

At the very least, those Xeons are officially only supported with the C232 and C236 chipsets, I have no idea if they can be coaxed to work with the mainstream chipsets, but I wouldn't take the chance myself.

The Xeon E3's are essentially just rebranded i7's, so if you can't get one at a better price just stick with the i7-6700.