Newbie wanting to access wordpress from external networks

Hello! I am having my own little project on my hands, I am studying IT and newly learned about how to create your own wordpress server/site. And I want to be able to access it from external networks or let other people do. How can I be able to do this, I would love some help with this project

-Marcus Løkken

When you say Wordpress Server, do you have some sort of weird Wordpress like Serverpress, or is it installed on a Webserver like Apache/Nginx/IIS/etc... ?

Basically you just need to forward ports 80 & 443 (if you're using SSL) on your Router, to the IP address of the machine that is running Wordpress.

Portforward.com is a good resource if you aren't sure how to do it

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

Just now, Jarsky said:

When you say Wordpress Server, do you have some sort of weird Wordpress like Serverpress, or is it installed on a Webserver like Apache/Nginx/IIS/etc... ?

Basically you just need to forward ports 80 & 443 (if you're using SSL) on your Router, to the IP address of the machine that is running Wordpress.

It`s a lamp server so it`s apache then and it`s downloaded from the whole wordpress.org/latest.zip from their website to my linux machine

5 minutes ago, MarcusLauk said:

It`s a lamp server so it`s apache then and it`s downloaded from the whole wordpress.org/latest.zip from their website to my linux machine

Right.

So I assume that you're able to access the install from your local machine with something like http://ip.address.of.linux.box

That means that your Linux firewall is already configured to allow the Apache web traffic (Port 80) through.

So you'll need to do the Portforwarding I mentioned above, to allow traffic from your local network to the internet.

Also, do you have a static IP address? If so, you can get a Domain name from somewhere like GoDaddy, and you need to set the "A Record" to your IP address.

If you have a dynamic IP address (one that changes) then you'd be best to get a "dynamic dns" like dyndns or noip. Both dyndns & noip have applications you can run which will always keep the domain address (e.g myblog.noip.com) up to date.

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

I am not really looking to go into the whole domain name, just wanted to be able to access through my external ip and the port forwarding helped. I am able to connect to it now, thanks for the helps and future tips with the domains and ip things. I will probably get into that later, but am still on the early stages of these things. Anyways thanks for the help ^^

9 minutes ago, MarcusLauk said:

I am not really looking to go into the whole domain name, just wanted to be able to access through my external ip and the port forwarding helped. I am able to connect to it now, thanks for the helps and future tips with the domains and ip things. I will probably get into that later, but am still on the early stages of these things. Anyways thanks for the help ^^

No problem. You may find the noip dynamic domain to be helpful still - its a free service :)

Spoiler

Spoiler