Project: No Compromise, What would you want from a laptop?

Vlku272

Project: No Compromise.

What would you want from a laptop?

Me and a friend have set out on a project like no other. We are designing a laptop that packs most if not all the features of a desktop, and some of its own traits, and make it portable as possible. We are on a mission to change peoples perspective on what a laptop should be, and now we're ask the community. We want your opinions on what the ultimate laptop should be, a laptop for the community.

Features we've done designed in so far:

• Up to 2 MXM Gen 2 Type B 1070 and 1080 GPUs or one 1060/1050. May also support up to 2x 1080 Ti and Titan XP depending on if MXM versions of these are made.
  • One  M.2 drive slots and one 2.5" drive slot for storage.
  • Easily upgrade almost any part.
  • Either an i5 7440HQ (Quad Core) or i7 7820HQ (Quad Core, 8 Threads) (Assuming Kaby lake refreshes all Skylake models, basing this off of 6440HQ and 6820HQ respectively.) 
  • 9,000mAh Lithium Polymer 6 Cell Battery (Based off purchasable cells. If custom cells are made for the laptop we will have a higher capacity battery.) 
  • Large front facing speakers with stereo surround dual subwoofers (to make up for their small size and a 1080p webcam and mic. 
  • Rear facing I/O for neater desks, with I/O on the sides hidden by flip up plates. 
  • Neutral color scheme with RGB LEDs for personalised look. 
  • Centred track pad to cater to both left and right handed uses, and to avoid resting your keyboard hand on the track pad. 
  • 15" only (for now) with 4K 60Hz, 1440p 120Hz or 1080p 144Hz Display options.

What would you think the thickness of a device with all this would be? It used to be about an inch or more, and even then it wouldn't have all this. Now what if I told you that we've so far achieved this in a laptop design just 17mm thick? (Changed from 15mm because of the small difference just to keep the part a little cooler. :)

Features deemed unnecessary or otherwise not needed: 

• Upgradeable CPU. CPUs are advancing at a much slower pace than GPU technology and it would add unnecessary bulk to the laptop. The extra room taken up by having a socket in the laptop as well would reduce the laptops cooling capacity.
  • DVD drive. Would take up too much room for what it gives. A slimline USB disk drive is easy to carry with you in you laptop bag if you really need one.

Community ideas:

• Overclocking - Yes
  • Clear CMOS Button - Probably 
  • Gigabit LAN - Yes
  • Metal casing - Yes
  • 4 RAM Slots - No, 64GB is achievable with 2 slots and is the max the processors support anyway.
  • Vapour Chamber Cooling - Yes
  • Neat insides - Yes
  • Desktop CPU - No
  • Power passthrough when off for charging other devices - Yes.
  • X99 - Yes in the i7 model.
  • True Quad Cores - Yes

No, there is no signatute here, deal with it.

1440p 75Hz Gsync is the first thing that comes to mind

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

• No need for dual LAN
  • No need for 3 video output when people usually use one if that
  • A good mix of thickness and heat dissipation. We don't need a macbook air thinness and we don't need a 3 inch thick 12 pound monster
  • One external power adapter
  • Standard 2.5mm HDD and SSD support, laptops with 950 pros are not needed and just add to the heat problems
  • I like the GPU selection
  • RAM should start at 16gb and have options 
  • OC support for things like the CPU, GPUs, and RAM
  • Clear CMOS button
  • Solar panels wouldn't be big enough to charge the size of battery to make it worth while. You would probably need more surface area to see reasonable if possible charge times.
  • 1440p is the stopping point for a laptop as most screens are 15-18 inches which is too small for 4K. The added benefits are lost and the extra horepower needed is too much
  • Maybe a finger print scanner like on iPhones and Androids that didn't suck like every laptop that tried
  • A GOOD trackpad like the old macbook pros had that actually clicked and were one size no two buttons at the bottom.
  • 3.5mm output and input
  • Glass edge to edge with black bezel behind it.
  • One finger hinge
  • No keyboard mush and sag

ƆԀ S₱▓Ɇ▓cs: i7 6ʇɥפᴉƎ00K (4.4ghz), Asus DeLuxe X99A II, GT҉X҉1҉0҉8҉0 Zotac Amp ExTrꍟꎭe),Si6F4Gb D???????r PlatinUm, EVGA G2 Sǝʌǝᘉ5ᙣᙍᖇᓎᙎᗅᖶt, Phanteks Enthoo Primo, 3TB WD Black, 500gb 850 Evo, H100iGeeTeeX, Windows 10, K70 R̸̢̡̭͍͕̱̭̟̩̀̀̃́̃͒̈́̈́͑̑́̆͘͜ͅG̶̦̬͊́B̸͈̝̖͗̈́, G502, HyperX Cloud 2s, Asus MX34. פN∩SW∀S 960 EVO

Just keeping this here as a backup 9̵̨̢̨̧̧̡̧̡̧̡̧̡̡̢̢̡̢̧̡̢̡̡̢̧̛̛̛̛̛̛̱̖͈̠̝̯̹͉̝̞̩̠̹̺̰̺̲̳͈̞̻̜̫̹̱̗̣͙̻̘͎̲̝͙͍͔̯̲̟̞͚̖̘͉̭̰̣͎͕̼̼̜̼͕͎̣͇͓͓͎̼̺̯͈̤̝͖̩̭͍̣̱̞̬̺̯̼̤̲͎̖̠̟͍̘̭͔̟̗̙̗̗̤̦͍̫̬͔̦̳̗̳͔̞̼̝͍̝͈̻͇̭̠͈̳͍̫̮̥̭͍͔͈̠̹̼̬̰͈̤͚̖̯͍͉͖̥̹̺͕̲̥̤̺̹̹̪̺̺̭͕͓̟̳̹͍̖͎̣̫͓͍͈͕̳̹̙̰͉͙̝̜̠̥̝̲̮̬͕̰̹̳͕̰̲̣̯̫̮͙̹̮͙̮̝̣͇̺̺͇̺̺͈̳̜̣̙̻̣̜̻̦͚̹̩͓͚̖͍̥̟͍͎̦͙̫̜͔̭̥͈̬̝̺̩͙͙͉̻̰̬̗̣͖̦͎̥̜̬̹͓͈͙̤̜̗͔̩̖̳̫̑̀̂̽̈́̈́̿͒̿̋̊͌̾̄̄̒̌͐̽̿̊͑̑̆͗̈̎̄͒̑̋͛̑͑̂͑̀͐̀͑̓͊̇͆̿͑͛͛͆́͆̓̿̇̀̓͑͆͂̓̾̏͊̀̇̍̃́̒̎̀̒̄̓̒̐̑̊̏̌̽̓͂͋̓̐̓͊̌͋̀̐̇̌̓̔͊̈̇́̏͒̋͊̓̆̋̈̀̌̔͆͑̈̐̈̍̀̉̋̈́͊̽͂̿͌͊̆̾̉͐̿̓̄̾͑̈́͗͗̂̂́̇͂̀̈́́̽̈́̓̓͂̽̓̀̄͌̐̔̄̄͒͌̈́̅̉͊̂͒̀̈́̌͂̽̀̑̏̽̀͑̐̐͋̀̀͋̓̅͋͗̍́͗̈́̆̏̇͊̌̏̔̑̐̈́͑̎͑͆̏̎́̑̍̏̒̌̊͘͘̚̕̚̕̕̚̕̚̕̕͜͜͜͜͜͝͝͠͠͝͝͝͝͝͝͝͠͝͝ͅͅͅͅͅͅͅ8̵̨̛̛̛̛̮͍͕̥͉̦̥̱̞̜̫̘̤̖̬͍͇͓̜̻̪̤̣̣̹̑͑̏̈́̐̐́̎͒̔͒̌̑̓̆̓͑̉̈́́͋̌͋͐͛͋̃̍̽̊͗͋͊̂̅͊͑́͋͛̉̏̓͌̾̈́̀͛͊̾͑̌̀̀̌̓̏̑́̄̉̌͂́͛̋͊̄͐͊̈́̀̌̆̎̿̓̔̍̎̀̍̚̕̕͘͘͘̕̚͝͝͠͠͠0̶̡̡̡̢̨̨͕̠̠͉̺̻̯̱̘͇̥͎͖̯͕̖̬̭͔̪̪͎̺̠̤̬̬̤̣̭̣͍̥̱̘̳̣̤͚̭̥͚̦͙̱̦͕̼͖͙͕͇̭͓͉͎̹̣̣͕̜͍͖̳̭͕̼̳̖̩͍͔̱̙̠̝̺̰̦̱̿̄̀͐͜͜ͅͅt̶̡̨̡̨̧̢̧̢̨̧̧̧̧̢̡̨̨̢̨̢̧̢̛̛̛̛̛̠͍̞̮͇̪͉̩̗̗͖̫͉͎͓̮̣̘̫͔̘̬̮̙̯̣͕͓̲̣͓͓̣̹̟͈̱͚̘̼̙̖̖̼̙̜̝͙̣̠̪̲̞̖̠̯̖̠̜̱͉̲̺͙̤̻̦̜͎̙̳̺̭̪̱͓̦̹̺͙̫̖̖̰̣͈͍̜̺̘͕̬̥͇̗̖̺̣̲̫̟̣̜̭̟̱̳̳̖͖͇̹̯̜̹͙̻̥̙͉͕̜͎͕̦͕̱͖͉̜̹̱̦͔͎̲̦͔̖̘̫̻̹̮̗̮̜̰͇̰͔̱͙̞̠͍͉͕̳͍̰̠̗̠̯̜̩͓̭̺̦̲̲͖̯̩̲̣̠͉̦̬͓̠̜̲͍̘͇̳̳͔̼̣͚̙͙͚͕̙̘̣̠͍̟̪̝̲͇͚̦̖͕̰̟̪͖̳̲͉͙̰̭̼̩̟̝̣̝̬̳͎̙̱͒̃̈͊̔͒͗̐̄̌͐͆̍͂̃̈́̾͗̅̐͒̓̆͛̂̾͋̍͂̂̄̇̿̈͌̅̈́̃̾̔̇̇̾̀͊͋̋̌̄͌͆͆̎̓̈́̾̊͊̇̌̔̈́̈́̀̐͊̊̍͑̊̈̓͑̀́̅̀̑̈́̽̃̽͛̇́̐̓̀͆̔̈̀̍̏̆̓̆͒̋́̋̍́̂̉͛̓̓̂̋̎́̒̏̈͋̃̽͆̓̀̔͑̈́̓͌͑̅̽́̐̍̉̑̓̈́͌̋̈́͂̊́͆͂̇̈́̔̃͌̅̈́͌͛̑̐̓̔̈́̀͊͛̐̾͐̔̾̈̃̈̄͑̓̋̇̉̉̚̕̚͘̕̚̚̕̕͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͝͝͝͠͝͝͝͝͝͠ͅͅͅͅͅi̵̢̧̢̧̡̧̢̢̧̢̢̢̡̡̡̧̧̡̡̧̛̛͈̺̲̫͕̞͓̥̖̭̜̫͉̻̗̭̖͔̮̠͇̩̹̱͈̗̭͈̤̠̮͙͇̲͙̰̳̹̲͙̜̟͚͎͓̦̫͚̻̟̰̣̲̺̦̫͓̖̯̝̬͉̯͓͈̫̭̜̱̞̹̪͔̤̜͙͓̗̗̻̟͎͇̺̘̯̲̝̫͚̰̹̫̗̳̣͙̮̱̲͕̺̠͉̫̖̟͖̦͉̟͈̭̣̹̱̖̗̺̘̦̠̯̲͔̘̱̣͙̩̻̰̠͓͙̰̺̠̖̟̗̖͉̞̣̥̝̤̫̫̜͕̻͉̺͚̣̝̥͇̭͎̖̦̙̲͈̲̠̹̼͎͕̩͓̖̥̘̱̜͙̹̝͔̭̣̮̗̞̩̣̬̯̜̻̯̩̮̩̹̻̯̬̖͂̈͂̒̇͗͑̐̌̎̑̽̑̈̈́͑̽́̊͋̿͊͋̅̐̈́͑̇̿̈́̌͌̊̅͂̎͆̏̓͂̈̿̏̃͑̏̓͆̔̋̎̕͘͘͘͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͝͝͠͠ͅͅͅͅͅͅͅͅͅZ̴̧̢̨̢̧̢̢̡̧̢̢̢̨̨̨̡̨̧̢̧̛̛̬̖͈̮̝̭̖͖̗̹̣̼̼̘̘̫̠̭̞͙͔͙̜̠̗̪̠̼̫̻͓̳̟̲̳̻̙̼͇̺͎̘̹̼͔̺̹̬̯̤̮̟͈̭̻͚̣̲͔͙̥͕̣̻̰͈̼̱̺̤̤͉̙̦̩̗͎̞͓̭̞̗͉̳̭̭̺̹̹̮͕̘̪̞̱̥͈̹̳͇̟̹̱̙͚̯̮̳̤͍̪̞̦̳̦͍̲̥̳͇̪̬̰̠͙͕̖̝̫̩̯̱̘͓͎̪͈̤̜͎̱̹̹̱̲̻͎̖̳͚̭̪̦̗̬͍̯̘̣̩̬͖̝̹̣̗̭͖̜͕̼̼̲̭͕͔̩͓̞̝͓͍̗̙̯͔̯̞̝̳̜̜͉̖̩͇̩̘̪̥̱͓̭͎͖̱̙̩̜͎̙͉̟͎͔̝̥͕͍͓̹̮̦̫͚̠̯͓̱͖͔͓̤͉̠͙̋͐̀͌̈́͆̾͆̑̔͂͒̀̊̀͋͑̂͊̅͐̿́̈́̐̀̏̋̃̄͆͒̈́̿̎́́̈̀̀͌̔͋͊̊̉̿͗͊͑̔͐̇͆͛̂̐͊̉̄̈́̄̐͂͂͒͑͗̓͑̓̾̑͋̒͐͑̾͂̎̋̃̽̂̅̇̿̍̈́́̄̍͂͑̏̐̾̎̆̉̾͂̽̈̆̔́͋͗̓̑̕͘̕͘͜͜͜͜͜͝͝͝͝͠͠͝ͅo̶̪͆́̀͂̂́̄̅͂̿͛̈́̿͊͗́͘͝t̴̡̨̧̨̧̡̧̨̡̢̧̢̡̨̛̪͈̣̭̺̱̪̹̺̣̬̖̣̻͈̞̙͇̩̻̫͈̝̭̟͎̻̟̻̝̱͔̝̼͍̞̼̣̘̤̯͓͉̖̠̤͔̜̙͚͓̻͓̬͓̻̜̯̱̖̳̱̗̠̝̥̩͓̗̪̙͓̖̠͎̗͎̱̮̯̮͙̩̫̹̹̖͙̙͖̻͈̙̻͇͔̙̣̱͔̜̣̭̱͈͕̠̹͙̹͇̻̼͎͍̥̘͙̘̤̜͎̟͖̹̦̺̤͍̣̼̻̱̲͎̗̹͉͙̪̞̻̹͚̰̻͈͈͊̈́̽̀̎̃̊́̈́̏̃̍̉̇̑̂̇̏̀͊̑̓͛̽͋̈́͆́̊͊̍͌̈́̓͊̌̿̂̾̐͑̓̀́͒̃̋̓͆̇̀͊̆͗̂͑͐̀͗̅̆͘̕͘̕̕͜͜͝͝͝͝͝͝͝ͅͅͅͅͅͅͅͅͅḁ̶̢̡̨̧̡̡̨̨̧̨̡̡̢̧̨̡̡̛̛̛͍̱̳͚͕̩͍̺̪̻̫̙͈̬͙̖͙̬͍̬̟̣̝̲̼̜̼̺͎̥̮̝͙̪̘̙̻͖͇͚͙̣̬̖̲̲̥̯̦̗̰̙̗̪̞̗̩̻̪̤̣̜̳̩̦̻͓̞̙͍͙̫̩̹̥͚̻̦̗̰̲̙̫̬̱̺̞̟̻͓̞͚̦̘̝̤͎̤̜̜̥̗̱͈̣̻̰̮̼̙͚͚̠͚̲̤͔̰̭̙̳͍̭͎̙͚͍̟̺͎̝͓̹̰̟͈͈̖̺͙̩̯͔̙̭̟̞̟̼̮̦̜̳͕̞̼͈̜͍̮͕̜͚̝̦̞̥̜̥̗̠̦͇͖̳͈̜̮̣͚̲̟͙̎̈́́͊̔̑̽̅͐͐͆̀͐́̓̅̈͑͑̍̿̏́͆͌̋̌̃̒̽̀̋̀̃̏̌́͂̿̃̎̐͊̒̀̊̅͒̎͆̿̈́̑̐̒̀̈́̓̾͋͆̇̋͒̎̈̄̓̂͊̆͂̈́̒̎͐̇̍̆̋̅̿̔͒̄̇̂̋̈́͆̎̔̇͊̊̈́̔̏͋́̀͂̈́̊͋͂̍̾̓͛̇̔̚͘̚̕̚͘͘̕̕̕̚͘͘̚̕̚̕͜͜͜͝͝͝͝͝͝͝͝ͅͅͅͅͅç̵̧̢̨̢̢̢̧̧̡̨̡̢̧̧̧̨̡̡̨̨̢̢̢̧̨̢̨̢̛̛͉̗̠͇̹̖̝͕͚͎̟̻͓̳̰̻̺̞̣͚̤͙͍͇̗̼͖͔͕͙͖̺͙̖̹̘̘̺͓̜͍̣̰̗̖̺̗̪̘̯̘͚̲͚̲̬̞̹̹͕̭͔̳̘̝̬͉̗̪͉͕̞̫͔̭̭̜͉͔̬̫͙̖̙͚͔͙͚͍̲̘͚̪̗̞̣̞̲͎͔͖̺͍͎̝͎͍̣͍̩̟͈͕̗͉̪̯͉͎͖͍̖͎̖̯̲̘̦̟̭͍͚͓͈͙̬͖̘̱̝̜̘̹̩̝̥̜͎̬͓̬͙͍͇͚̟̫͇̬̲̥̘̞̘̟̘̝̫͈̙̻͇͎̣̪̪̠̲͓͉͙͚̭̪͇̯̠̯̠͖̞̜͓̲͎͇̼̱̦͍͉͈͕͉̗̟̖̗̱̭͚͎̘͓̬͍̱͍̖̯̜̗̹̰̲̩̪͍̞̜̫̩̠͔̻̫͍͇͕̰̰̘͚͈̠̻̮͊̐̿̏̐̀̇̑̐̈͛͑͑̍̑̔̃̈́̓̈́̇̐͑̐̊̆͂̀̏͛̊̔̍̽͗͋̊̍̓̈́̏̅͌̀̽́̑͒͒̓͗̈́̎͌͂̕̚͘͘͜͜͜͜͜͠͝͝͝͝ͅͅͅͅͅͅͅS̵̡̡̧̧̨̨̡̢̡̡̡̡̧̧̡̧̢̫̯͔̼̲͉͙̱̮̭̗͖̯̤͙̜͚̰̮̝͚̥̜̞̠̤̺̝͇̻̱͙̩̲̺͍̳̤̺̖̝̳̪̻̗̮̪̖̺̹̭͍͇̗̝̱̻̳̝̖̝͎̙͉̞̱̯̙̜͇̯̻̞̱̭̗͉̰̮̞͍̫̺͙͎̙̞̯̟͓͉̹̲͖͎̼̫̩̱͇̲͓̪͉̺̞̻͎̤̥̭̺̘̻̥͇̤̖̰̘̭̳̫̙̤̻͇̪̦̭̱͎̥̟͖͕̣̤̩̟̲̭̹̦̹̣͖̖͒̈́̈́̓͗̈̄͂̈́̅̐̐̿̎̂͗̎̿̕͘͜͜͜͜͝͝ͅͅt̸̡̡̧̧̨̡̢̛̥̥̭͍̗͈̩͕͔͔̞̟͍̭͇̙̺̤͚͎͈͎͕̱͈̦͍͔͓̬͚̗̰̦͓̭̰̭̎̀̂̈́̓̒̈́̈́̂̄̋́̇̂͐͒̋̋̉͐̉̏̇͋̓̈́͐̾͋̒͒͐̊̊̀̄͆̄͆̑͆̇̊̓̚̚̕̚̕͜͠͝͝ͅͅơ̵̡̨̡̡̡̨̛̺͕̼͔̼̪̳͖͓̠̘̘̳̼͚͙͙͚̰͚͚͖̥̦̥̘̖̜̰͔̠͕̦͎̞̮͚͕͍̤̠̦͍̥̝̰̖̳̫̮̪͇̤̱̜͙͔̯͙̙̼͇̹̥̜͈̲̺̝̻̮̬̼̫̞̗̣̪̱͓̺̜̠͇͚͓̳̹̥̳̠͍̫͈̟͈̘̯̬̞͔̝͍͍̥̒̐͗͒͂͆̑̀̿̏́̀͑͗̐́̀̾̓́̌̇̒̈́̌̓͐̃̈́̒̂̀̾͂̊̀̂͐̃̄̓̔̽̒̈́̇̓͌̇̂̆̒̏̊̋͊͛͌̊̇̒̅͌̄̎̔̈́͊́̽̋̈̇̈́́͊̅͂̎̃͌͊͛͂̄̽̈́̿͐̉̽̿́́̉͆̈́̒́̂̾̄̇̌̒̈̅̍̿̐͑̓͊̈́̈̋̈́̉̍̋̊̈̀̈́̾̿̌̀̈́͌̑̍́̋̒̀̂̈́́̾̏̐̅̈̑͗͐̈͂̄̾̄̈́̍̉͑͛͗͋̈́̃̄̊́́͐̀̀̽̇̓̄̓̃͋͋̂̽̔̀̎͌̈́̈́̑̓̔̀̓͐͛͆̿̋͑͛̈́͂̅̋̅͆͗̇́̀̒́̏͒̐̍͂̓͐͐̇̂̉̑̊͑̉̋̍͊̄̀͂̎͒̔͊̃̏̕̚̕̕͘͘͘̚͘̚͘̕͘̚͘̚̚̚̕͘͜͜͜͝͝͠͠͝͝͠͠͝͝͝͝͝͝͝͝͝ͅͅͅc̴̨̡̢̢̢̡̡̢̛̛̛̻͇̝̣͉͚͎͕̻̦͖̤̖͇̪̩̤̻̭̮̙̰̖̰̳̪̱̹̳̬͖̣͙̼̙̰̻̘͇͚̺̗̩̫̞̳̼̤͔͍͉̟͕̯̺͈̤̰̹̍̋́͆̾̆̊͆͋̀͑͒̄̿̄̀̂͋̊͆́͑̑̽͊̓́̔̽̌͊̄͑͒͐̑͗̿̃̀̓̅́̿͗̈́͌̋̀̏̂͌̓́̇̀͒͋̌̌̅͋͌̆͐̀̔̒͐̊̇̿̽̀̈́̃̒̋̀̈́̃̏̂̊͗̑̊̈̇̀̌͐̈́̉̂̏͊̄͐̈̽͒̏̒̓́̌̓̅́̓̃͐͊͒̄͑̒͌̍̈́̕͘̚͘̕͘̚̕͜͝͠͝͝͝ͅǩ̴̢̢̢̧̨̢̢̢̨̨̨̢̢̢̨̧̨̡̡̢̛̛̛̛̛̛̛̜̥̩̙͕̮̪̻͈̘̯̼̰̜͚̰͖̬̳͖̣̭̼͔̲͉̭̺͚̺̟͉̝̱̲͎͉̙̥̤͚͙̬̪̜̺͙͍̱̞̭̬̩̖̤̹̤̺̦͈̰̗̰͍͇̱̤̬̬͙̙̲̙̜͖͓̙̟̙̯̪͍̺̥͔͕̝̳̹̻͇̠̣͈̰̦͓͕̩͇͈͇̖͙͍̰̲̤̞͎̟̝̝͈͖͔͖̦̮̗̬̞̞̜̬̠̹̣̣̲̮̞̤̜̤̲̙͔͕̯͔͍̤͕̣͔͙̪̫̝̣̰̬̬̭̞͔̦̟̥̣̻͉͈̮̥̦̮̦͕̤͇̺͆͆̈͗̄̀̌̔̈́̈̉̾̊̐̆̂͛̀̋́̏̀̿͒̓̈́̈́͂̽̾͗͊̋̐̓̓̀̃̊̊͑̓̈̎̇͑̆̂̉̾̾̑͊̉̃́̑͌̀̌̐̅̃̿̆̎̈́̀̒́͛̓̀̊́̋͛͒͊̆̀̃̊͋̋̾̇̒̋͂̏͗͆̂̔́̐̀́͗̅̈̋̂̎̒͊̌̉̈̈́͌̈́̔̾̊̎́͐͒̋̽̽́̾̿̚̕͘͘̚̕̕̕̚̚̕̚̕͘͜͜͜͝͠͝͝͝͝͝͝͝͝ͅͅͅͅͅͅB̸̢̧̨̡̢̧̨̡̡̨̡̨̡̡̡̢̨̢̨̛̛̛̛̛̛͉̞͚̰̭̲͈͎͕͈̦͍͈̮̪̤̻̻͉̫̱͔̞̫̦̰͈̗̯̜̩̪̲̻̖̳͖̦͎͔̮̺̬̬̼̦̠̪̤͙͍͓̜̥̙̖̫̻̜͍̻̙̖̜̹͔̗̪̜̖̼̞̣̠̫͉̯̮̤͈͎̝̪͎͇͙̦̥͙̳̫̰̪̣̱̘̤̭̱͍̦͔̖͎̺̝̰̦̱̣͙̙̤͚̲͔̘̱̜̻͔̥̻͖̭͔̜͉̺͕͙͖̜͉͕̤͚̠̩̮̟͚̗͈͙̟̞̮̬̺̻̞͔̥͉͍̦̤͓̦̻̦̯̟̰̭̝̘̩̖̝͔̳͉̗̖̱̩̩̟͙͙͛̀͐̈́̂̇͛̅̒̉̏̈́̿͐́̏̃̏̓̌̽͐̈́͛̍͗͆͛̋̔̉͂̔̂̓̌͌͋̂͆̉͑̊̎́̈́̈̂͆͑́̃̍̇̿̅̾́́̿̅̾̆̅̈́̈̓͒͌͛̃͆̋͂̏̓̅̀͂̽̂̈̈́̎̾̐͋͑̅̍̈́̑̅̄͆̓̾̈́͐̎̊͐̌̌̓͊̊̔̈́̃͗̓͊͐̌͆̓͗̓̓̾̂̽͊͗́́́̽͊͆͋͊̀̑̿̔͒̏̈́́̏͆̈́͋̒͗͂̄̇̒͐̃͑̅̍͒̎̈́̌̋́̓͂̀̇͛̋͊͆̈́̋́̍̃͒̆̕̚̚̕̕̕͘̕̚̚͘̕͜͜͜͜͝͠͠͝͠͝͝͝͝͠͝͝͝͝ͅͅͅͅͅI̵̡̢̧̨̡̢̨̡̡̢̡̧̡̢̢̢̡̢̛̛͕͎͕̩̠̹̩̺̣̳̱͈̻̮̺̟̘̩̻̫͖̟͓̩̜̙͓͇̙̱̭̰̻̫̥̗̠͍͍͚̞̘̫͉̬̫̖̖̦͖͉̖̩̩̖̤̺̥̻̝͈͎̻͓̟̹͍̲͚͙̹̟̟̯͚̳̟͕̮̻̟͈͇̩̝̼̭̯͚͕̬͇̲̲̯̰̖̙̣̝͇̠̞̙͖͎̮̬̳̥̣̺̰͔̳̳̝̩̤̦̳̞̰̩̫̟͚̱̪̘͕̫̼͉̹̹̟̮̱̤̜͚̝̠̤̖̮̯̳͖̗̹̞̜̹̭̿̏͋̒͆̔̄̃̾̓͛̾̌́̅̂͆̔͌͆͋̔̾́̈̇̐̄̑̓̂̾́̄̿̓̅̆͌̉̎̏̄͛̉͆̓̎͒͘̕̕͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͝͠ͅͅƠ̷̢̛̛̛̛̛̛̛̛̟̰͔͔͇̲̰̮̘̭̭̖̥̟̘̠̬̺̪͇̲͋͂̅̈́̍͂̽͗̾͒̇̇̒͐̍̽͊́̑̇̑̾̉̓̈̾͒̍̌̅̒̾̈́̆͌̌̾̎̽̐̅̏́̈̔͛̀̋̃͊̒̓͗͒̑͒̃͂̌̄̇̑̇͛̆̾͛̒̇̍̒̓̀̈́̄̐͂̍͊͗̎̔͌͛̂̏̉̊̎͗͊͒̂̈̽̊́̔̊̃͑̈́̑̌̋̓̅̔́́͒̄̈́̈̂͐̈̅̈̓͌̓͊́̆͌̉͐̊̉͛̓̏̓̅̈́͂̉̒̇̉̆̀̍̄̇͆͛̏̉̑̃̓͂́͋̃̆̒͋̓͊̄́̓̕̕̕̚͘͘͘̚̕̚͘̕̕͜͜͝͝͝͠͝͝͝͝͠ͅS̷̢̨̧̢̡̨̢̨̢̨̧̧̨̧͚̱̪͇̱̮̪̮̦̝͖̜͙̘̪̘̟̱͇͎̻̪͚̩͍̠̹̮͚̦̝̤͖̙͔͚̙̺̩̥̻͈̺̦͕͈̹̳̖͓̜͚̜̭͉͇͖̟͔͕̹̯̬͍̱̫̮͓̙͇̗̙̼͚̪͇̦̗̜̼̠͈̩̠͉͉̘̱̯̪̟͕̘͖̝͇̼͕̳̻̜͖̜͇̣̠̹̬̗̝͓̖͚̺̫͛̉̅̐̕͘͜͜͜͜ͅͅͅ.̶̨̢̢̨̢̨̢̛̻͙̜̼̮̝̙̣̘̗̪̜̬̳̫̙̮̣̹̥̲̥͇͈̮̟͉̰̮̪̲̗̳̰̫̙͍̦̘̠̗̥̮̹̤̼̼̩͕͉͕͇͙̯̫̩̦̟̦̹͈͔̱̝͈̤͓̻̟̮̱͖̟̹̝͉̰͊̓̏̇͂̅̀̌͑̿͆̿̿͗̽̌̈́̉̂̀̒̊̿͆̃̄͑͆̃̇͒̀͐̍̅̃̍̈́̃̕͘͜͜͝͠͠z̴̢̢̡̧̢̢̧̢̨̡̨̛̛̛̛̛̛̛̛̲͚̠̜̮̠̜̞̤̺͈̘͍̻̫͖̣̥̗̙̳͓͙̫̫͖͍͇̬̲̳̭̘̮̤̬̖̼͎̬̯̼̮͔̭̠͎͓̼̖̟͈͓̦̩̦̳̙̮̗̮̩͙͓̮̰̜͎̺̞̝̪͎̯̜͈͇̪̙͎̩͖̭̟͎̲̩͔͓͈͌́̿͐̍̓͗͑̒̈́̎͂̋͂̀͂̑͂͊͆̍͛̄̃͌͗̌́̈̊́́̅͗̉͛͌͋̂̋̇̅̔̇͊͑͆̐̇͊͋̄̈́͆̍̋̏͑̓̈́̏̀͒̂̔̄̅̇̌̀̈́̿̽̋͐̾̆͆͆̈̌̿̈́̎͌̊̓̒͐̾̇̈́̍͛̅͌̽́̏͆̉́̉̓̅́͂͛̄̆͌̈́̇͐̒̿̾͌͊͗̀͑̃̊̓̈̈́̊͒̒̏̿́͑̄̑͋̀̽̀̔̀̎̄͑̌̔́̉̐͛̓̐̅́̒̎̈͆̀̍̾̀͂̄̈́̈́̈́̑̏̈́̐̽̐́̏̂̐̔̓̉̈́͂̕̚̕͘͘̚͘̚̕̚̚̚͘̕̕̕͜͜͝͠͠͝͝͝͝͠͝͝͝͠͝͝͝͝͝͝ͅͅͅī̸̧̧̧̡̨̨̢̨̛̛̘͓̼̰̰̮̗̰͚̙̥̣͍̦̺͈̣̻͇̱͔̰͈͓͖͈̻̲̫̪̲͈̜̲̬̖̻̰̦̰͙̤̘̝̦̟͈̭̱̮̠͍̖̲͉̫͔͖͔͈̻̖̝͎̖͕͔̣͈̤̗̱̀̅̃̈́͌̿̏͋̊̇̂̀̀̒̉̄̈́͋͌̽́̈́̓̑̈̀̍͗͜͜͠͠ͅp̴̢̢̧̨̡̡̨̢̨̢̢̢̨̡̛̛͕̩͕̟̫̝͈̖̟̣̲̖̭̙͇̟̗͖͎̹͇̘̰̗̝̹̤̺͉͎̙̝̟͙͚̦͚͖̜̫̰͖̼̤̥̤̹̖͉͚̺̥̮̮̫͖͍̼̰̭̤̲͔̩̯̣͖̻͇̞̳̬͉̣̖̥̣͓̤͔̪̙͎̰̬͚̣̭̞̬͎̼͉͓̮͙͕̗̦̞̥̮̘̻͎̭̼͚͎͈͇̥̗͖̫̮̤̦͙̭͎̝͖̣̰̱̩͎̩͎̘͇̟̠̱̬͈̗͍̦̘̱̰̤̱̘̫̫̮̥͕͉̥̜̯͖̖͍̮̼̲͓̤̮͈̤͓̭̝̟̲̲̳̟̠͉̙̻͕͙̞͔̖͈̱̞͓͔̬̮͎̙̭͎̩̟̖͚̆͐̅͆̿͐̄̓̀̇̂̊̃̂̄̊̀͐̍̌̅͌̆͊̆̓́̄́̃̆͗͊́̓̀͑͐̐̇͐̍́̓̈́̓̑̈̈́̽͂́̑͒͐͋̊͊̇̇̆̑̃̈́̎͛̎̓͊͛̐̾́̀͌̐̈́͛̃̂̈̿̽̇̋̍͒̍͗̈͘̚̚͘̚͘͘͜͜͜͜͜͜͠͠͝͝ͅͅͅ☻♥■∞{╚mYÄÜXτ╕○\╚Θº£¥ΘBM@Q05♠{{↨↨▬§¶‼↕◄►☼1♦  wumbo╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ

13 minutes ago, Vlku272 said:

What would you think the thickness of a device with all this would be? It used to be about an inch or more, and even then it wouldn't have all this. Now what if I told you that we've so far achieved this in a laptop design just 15mm thick? while this isn't a final number, it's damn close, and even if we had to go just 2mm more, in the end it would still be a great advance on the current generation of laptops. 

Got some pictures? Frankly I don't believe you, but if you built a laptop with all the features you listed and have 15mm thickness I'm blown away.

If you can cram all this in a 15mm package, which from engineering experience is highly unlikely in 2016, you shouldn't be bothering with niche laptops and offer up your services to NASA. 

My opinion: 4K screens are useless on a laptop that 17 inches or below, simply useless. I know because I have one and the pixel density compared to a good 1080p IPS screen is near unnoticeable. The maximum I would put in a laptop is the Apple approach of a high-res screen with amazing colours which actually renders at a lower resolution and displays at what they call "Retina". High refresh rate displays are also very unfeasible, since the GPU no matter how efficient will drain the battery in minutes maxing it out. You could turn on vsync and 'game on the go', and at that point why not ditch the high refresh screen and just do the IPS/IGZO method.

With MXM, you have to provide continued support throughout the lifetime of the product, which is not profitable. It's better to design a graphics dock.

Photovoltaics on the top lid, what kind? Thin film? Perovskite? The conditions the laptop are going to be used in, assuming it is a gaming laptop that will obviously be used indoors plugged into the grid for most of its life means that this feature is just added cost for very little benefit. It might power the backlight if one is lucky.

Large front facing speakers. Where exactly do you plan on placing these? For them to be front facing you would have to be putting them on the bezel, which would require you to compromise the aesthetics and the thickness of the lid since you also plan on putting solar panels on there. You could place them beside the trackpad on either side for stereo, but the palms would block the sound. You could place them beside the keyboard, but remember there needs to be clearance for your keyboard-lift mechanism and the fact that you plan on putting all the motheboard components under the keyboard. I envision this laptop being thin but extremely large footprint-wise and rather heavy. This limits it to being a desktop since you won't be able to take it with you in a bag to work or travel because of the bulk.

The 15mm thickness. The fact that you plan to cram the components under the keyboard makes me really skeptical of that goal. The keyboard also has to have a backplate of some mechanical strength because you say it tilts and raises, and no one wants to type on a flimsy, floppy keyboard on a presumably expensive laptop. This would only increase the weight and thickness. 

The big ask though is the cooling. You have to cool your components otherwise your firm would collapse under the weight of multiple class action lawsuits because all the laptops you sold failed due to thermal stress inside of two years. I simply don't  see a way of cooling all that in a 15mm package with the TDPs we available now. Water cooling would seriously compromise the thickness no matter how clever you are with the design.

Sorry for playing Devil's Advocate on your vision, but you did ask me.

For what i do with laptops this is what i would like

*Gigabite lan and wifi support

*option between a13inch 1080p,15 inch 1080p and 17inch 1440p screen both ips60hz or 75hz tn gsync/freesync 

*ability to use a external gpu docing station(like razer core) to either have increased batterylife and redused weight in non dedicated gpu models or to sli/crossfire with onboard GPU 10xx desktop gpu series and potential amd rx desktop gpu in laptops 

*desktop nvidea 10xx and if possible desktop amd rx 4xx series cards

*True quad core i5 and i7 options, and whatever amd is going to call the laptop cpu's that are competative

* i might be the only one that wants this but a dvd drive that is easy removable and can be switched out with an optional 2.5inch ssd/hdd would be nice

*1 m.2 and 1 2.5inch hdd/ssd standard support

*a good trackpad with individual buttons for left and right click

*Keyboard with rgb support but it needs to be trough easy to use software and brightness adjusted with fn key

10keyless keyboards with good directional buttons on 15 inch models and full size keyboard on 17inch models.

easy acces to the drives and ramslots by skrewing loose 4a6 skrews at the bottom of the laptop

a big easy to replace battery

hdmi or dp out 

3.5 mm jacks

several usb3.1 or tunderbolt slots

realy competend cooling sollution

sdcard reader

charging port at the back of the laptop

speakers that don't suck 

weight between 2.5 and 4 pounds would be nice

CPU:R7 5800X    Motherboard: asrock x470 taichi ultimate   RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws-V 2X16GB    GPU: Gigabyte GTX1080TI gaming oc 11g   Case: Corsair 600Q Storage: 1TB Samsung 870(boot), samsung 850evo 500GB, 2TB Corsair MX500, samsung 2TB 970 evo plus, WD 5TB black    PSU: Corsair AX860    CPU cooling: Corsair H105

On 9/14/2016 at 10:55 PM, Erik Sieghart said:

Hate to say it, but Razer beat you to it.

This would decrease the effectiveness of binning, and add thickness.

One or two is usually good enough. Really one m.2 is all a laptop can or should reasonably fit, maybe two on 15" models.

The challenges of designing a keyboard and hinges that can do this are going to detract from the ability of the keyboard to function as well. It will also add thickness and engineering challenges, especially since the GPU (which runs hot) is going to be mounted below the keyboard.

Well, yeah. All laptops do that.

It sounds like a cool idea, but the practical side is that it won't be terribly effective and not very useful. It will basically just add unneeded bulk.

Yeah, front facing speakers are good. Dell why u no like them ):

Ultrabooks these days are built so that the I/O has to be on the side. The larger RoG laptops use them to mount fan exhausts, which is the most efficient design.

Nah. Because the laptops with similar features to what you describe are huge.

Which razer laptop has a 1080 or even a 1070?

The MXM cards installs similarly to SODIM RAM, but with screws to secure it against the heatsink.

Lifting the keyboard in not as difficult as it sounds and I believe Linus did a video on one recently.

We have both a large exhaust and rear I/O, win-win.

19 minutes ago, Dogeystyle said:

If you can cram all this in a 15mm package, which from engineering experience is highly unlikely in 2016, you shouldn't be bothering with niche laptops and offer up your services to NASA. 

My opinion: 4K screens are useless on a laptop that 17 inches or below, simply useless. I know because I have one and the pixel density compared to a good 1080p IPS screen is near unnoticeable. The maximum I would put in a laptop is the Apple approach of a high-res screen with amazing colours which actually renders at a lower resolution and displays at what they call "Retina". High refresh rate displays are also very unfeasible, since the GPU no matter how efficient will drain the battery in minutes maxing it out. You could turn on vsync and 'game on the go', and at that point why not ditch the high refresh screen and just do the IPS/IGZO method.

With MXM, you have to provide continued support throughout the lifetime of the product, which is not profitable. It's better to design a graphics dock.

Photovoltaics on the top lid, what kind? Thin film? Perovskite? The conditions the laptop are going to be used in, assuming it is a gaming laptop that will obviously be used indoors plugged into the grid for most of its life means that this feature is just added cost for very little benefit. It might power the backlight if one is lucky.

Large front facing speakers. Where exactly do you plan on placing these? For them to be front facing you would have to be putting them on the bezel, which would require you to compromise the aesthetics and the thickness of the lid since you also plan on putting solar panels on there. You could place them beside the trackpad on either side for stereo, but the palms would block the sound. You could place them beside the keyboard, but remember there needs to be clearance for your keyboard-lift mechanism and the fact that you plan on putting all the motheboard components under the keyboard. I envision this laptop being thin but extremely large footprint-wise and rather heavy. This limits it to being a desktop since you won't be able to take it with you in a bag to work or travel because of the bulk.

The 15mm thickness. The fact that you plan to cram the components under the keyboard makes me really skeptical of that goal. The keyboard also has to have a backplate of some mechanical strength because you say it tilts and raises, and no one wants to type on a flimsy, floppy keyboard on a presumably expensive laptop. This would only increase the weight and thickness. 

The big ask though is the cooling. You have to cool your components otherwise your firm would collapse under the weight of multiple class action lawsuits because all the laptops you sold failed due to thermal stress inside of two years. I simply don't  see a way of cooling all that in a 15mm package with the TDPs we available now. Water cooling would seriously compromise the thickness no matter how clever you are with the design.

Sorry for playing Devil's Advocate on your vision, but you did ask me.

We have everything here covered so far, the speakers are in the front of the lower casing not in the screen bezels.

TBH NASA probably has access to alien technology for all we know. They could be doing anything over there.

Sorry for the quick replies guys it's fairly late over here in Australia. I'll be able to answer in more detail tomorrow.

If you can deliver on the 15mm part without any throttling I think you can expect a bunch of job offers coming your way soon.

I'm a bit skeptical though.

1 hour ago, Erik Sieghart said:

Hate to say it, but Razer beat you to it.

?

1 hour ago, Erik Sieghart said:

This would decrease the effectiveness of binning, and add thickness.

Are srs? LOL. MXM is the way to go. As long as they standardize the format.

54 minutes ago, Wedsea040 said:

- Vapor chamber cooling?

Needed.

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

1 hour ago, Wedsea040 said:

Also, I could sacrifice weight and size for an upgradable desktop CPU. I would really like that.

Intel hasn't made upgradable generations past 2. And even those required like bios updates. One interesting thing is you lose Optimus with desktop chip so it's gonna have even worst battery life than current pascal laptops (without MUX switches). It's an interesting trade off. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

On 9/14/2016 at 11:27 PM, Wedsea040 said:
  1. - Powered/dedicated subwoofer
  2. - Metal case
  3. - Display outputs around back
  4. - 4 DDR4 SODIMM slots for lots of upgradability
  5. - Full mechanical keyboard
  6. - At least one USB with powershare
  7. - Desktop CPU socket instead of a mobile one
  8. - Vapor chamber cooling?
  9. - Make the upgrade parts easily available
  10. - Have a nice looking inside, like desktops
  11. - Option for colored heatsinks
  12. - Option for i5/4K and i7/1440p

1. Yes
  2. Yes
  3. Yes
  4. No
  5. No
  6. Yes
  7. No
  8. Yes
  9. Yes - all upgradable parts are standardised.
  10. Yes
  11. No
  12. No for now

8 hours ago, Arondight said:

If you can deliver on the 15mm part without any throttling I think you can expect a bunch of job offers coming your way soon.

I'm a bit skeptical though.

We have done some research and even with the 15mm (+/- 2mm), throttling is something that we are certain will not play a factor, even with the thin form factor.

1 hour ago, Bigfoottheape said:

Try x99 if possible. that would be interesting

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

2 hours ago, Bigfoottheape said:

Snip

That's nice and all, but it's just a render of case. From the first post it sounds like you guys already built it so I was expecting more of a prototype.There are a lot of "humps" with that design, so what part is 15mm? The thinnest part of the laptop or average? With the features you listed, there's just no way. Laptops that are this size use heavily custom parts and components to cramped in such a small size that I doubt you'd have access to.

2 hours ago, Bigfoottheape said:

We have done some research and even with the 15mm (+/- 2mm), throttling is something that we are certain will not play a factor, even with the thin form factor.

Alright, this is even harder for me to believe unless you guys are magicians from the future. Even companies like razer and apple couldn't solved this; I'd consider applying as their CTO. 

On 9/15/2016 at 10:15 AM, iShad said:

That's nice and all, but it's just a render of case. From the first post it sounds like you guys already built it so I was expecting more of a prototype.There are a lot of "humps" with that design, so what part is 15mm? The thinnest part of the laptop or average? With the features you listed, there's just no way. Laptops that are this size use heavily custom parts and components to cramped in such a small size that I doubt you'd have access to.

Alright, this is even harder for me to believe unless you guys are magicians from the future. Even companies like razer and apple couldn't solved this; I'd consider applying as their CTO. 

The thickest part of the laptop is 17mm (corrected, was 15mm, but we think 17mm is an acceptable thickness for that bit of extra cooling), the humps aren't much the thickness varies 14-15mm not including the rubber feet.

2 minutes ago, Wedsea040 said:

I like the LED lighting and aggressive lines!

And thanks for the quick reply. What I meant by a nice looking inside was like a black PCB motherboard and cooling system, instead of the ugly green/blue and copper colors found in most laptops. Not like interior RGB lighting or a window, just a matching color scheme that doesn't look bad, like all black. It's not necessary but it's something that would stand out. And by powershare, I mean a USB port that can still charge stuff while the computer is off. I use it a lot on my 7559 to charge my wireless headset when I am not around and my laptop is off.

Thank you, and I am very excited to see how this goes!

I see, we will most likely be able to do the power pass through as you said doesn't sound that hard. and yes it should be a black PCB as it will be visible under the keyboard where the upgrades are :)

If this actually goes anywhere I'll be interested.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

On 9/15/2016 at 9:33 AM, RGProductions said:

Try x99 if possible. that would be interesting

The laptops will most likely be kaby lake based and as far as I'm aware kaby lake does not include the X99 platform. Most likely processors are:

• i5 7440HQ (or 6440HQ)
  • i7 7820HQ (or 6820HQ)

12 minutes ago, Vlku272 said:

Hm. I wish someone would make a laptop with x99 and a 1080 MXM but no battery and consider it a portable desktop.

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

In terms physical design for a laptop, I like something along of the lines of msi's phantom pro series, however it doesn't have to be as light or as thin as that so as to allow some room for better cooling designs. I just like more boxy and sleek designs for a laptop. If it were a gaming laptop i prefer a 15.6in screen however if it were more for school 14in or slightly lower is preferred for me. Build quality is very important no plastic parts if possible.

In terms of specs:

I don't really like what I see in ulv cpus. Prefer at least an HQ cpu.

If there was to be a dgpu in the laptop, nothing like a gtx 1080 or 1070. Something along the lines of a gtx 1060 or if they introduce a gtx 1050 for laptops, that. (I don't look for power in a laptop but something that can run games while travelling is nice)

I don't understand running a 3k or 4k resolution on a laptop. The way i see it 1080p is enough in that department. G-sync is really nice and a refresh rate above 60hz is preferred.

16gb of ram definitely, 256gb+ ssd minimum.

A good tactile keyboard is nice I don't care about rgb leds just nicely backlit.

In terms of I/O: 2 or 3 usb 3.1 and a USB type C port. I don't really care for display outputs.

2 minutes ago, RGProductions said:

Hm. I wish someone would make a laptop with x99 and a 1080 MXM but no battery and consider it a portable desktop.

A suitcase PC is possible.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

51 minutes ago, iShad said:

Well #1: Apple do not make Gaming Laptops like what we are trying to achieve, Apple laptops are mainly business and "Light Gaming"

and #2: Razer has only had some reports of CPU throttling.

Its not something that we are going to eliminate completely but avoid as much as possible.