Project: No Compromise, What would you want from a laptop?

Vlku272
20 minutes ago, Mark77 said:

Here's an idea -- how about a removable GPU? 

MXM exists

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

Just now, Pendragon said:

MXM exists

Yeah, but its *only* MXM.  You can't put a hard drive/SSD in that MXM slot.  I'm not even sure if you can run a laptop with the MXM slot empty, can you? 

Also a weight below 1.5kg and a size similar to a more compact 14 inch Laptop. And a Battery life of at least 8 hours. I don't care that it is impossible, its called no compromises. 

Sorry to say, but thats not gonna work.

I dont believe that you have designed the MB or similiar components, so you cant tell the thickness for sure.

I also highly doubt that you have any idea off how complicated af motherboard desing for your laptop would be or the cooling design. 

The picture you uploaded has nothing to do with actual design, and can be done by everyone.

THIS LAPTOP IS NOT GONNA WORK!!!

Study electronics some more and we can talk again.  

On 9/17/2016 at 4:30 AM, Mark77 said:

Yeah, but its *only* MXM.  You can't put a hard drive/SSD in that MXM slot.  I'm not even sure if you can run a laptop with the MXM slot empty, can you? 

depends to the laptop. Some laptops like mine have the igpu totally disabled and disconnected( the screen has no way of getting any signal from it) so mine will not work with an empty MXM. But a lot of other laptops still use the igpu so they can work even with an empty MXM (its like not having a gpu in a desktop but you just have to make sure the monitor is connected to the right device).

For the swap-able gpu/hdd/optical drive idea the problem is the connector. GPUs and hdds use different communication protocols and would require a new connector to allow the different signals. Then there is the problem of the protocols themselves. PCIE and  sata do not support hot swapping meaning that a shutdown is required to swap them. So in order to do this, a new protocol is needed along with a new connector which will be expensive to develop and get approved then take years to be adopted by the manufacturers.

It is a good idea and would help laptop customization but its not possible right now.

Daily driver I literally carry around all day:

Clevo P770DM-G: i7 6700 @ -190mv || 980m || 16GB 2133 MHz || 250Gb 850 Evo || 250 850 Pro || 1TB 7200RPM HDD ||

GPU overclock:

+260/200 @ +25mv max stable before I hit power limit because of my 230W power adaptor : (

+285/230 @ +50mv lasted for 1 hour of Valley benchmark : ) 

1 hour ago, Rice Ninja said:

PCIE and  sata do not support hot swapping meaning that a shutdown is required to swap them.

This isn't true.  SATA hot swap is done all the time.  PCI-E hot-swap is available on higher end systems, so the technology is definitely there.  It may or may not require a different connector, but that would be part of the design nonetheless. 

USB, PCI-E, and SATA, for instance, co-exist on laptop miniPCI-E ports in many cases, with tristate chips used to electrically "re-use" the same lines. 

On 9/17/2016 at 2:35 PM, Rice Ninja said:

First off, I would like to say best of luck to you guys.

I do feel like this is going towards a No compromise thin/light gaming laptop which unfortunately is going to have quite a bit of compromise just from the form factor alone. There really isn't an effective cooling solution at such small package. But hopefully you guys can prove that wrong. 

Still that isn't really the direction I consider No-compromise. If you look into any clevo communities you'll quickly find out pure performance and control (no limitations) is most important. Form factor and battery life are nice additions. One thing you can be sure is that many of us are waiting for an x99 or its successor chipset in a chassis that can manage the heat of a multicore chip and dgpu with some headroom. 

But I understand this is a much smaller niche market. It would still be very interesting to see a competitor to the Asus ROGs,  Acer predator, Dellienware, etc. that is only 17mm.  

We have been designing a cooling solution that actually has twice the heat spreading than a typical desktop pc. Even with conjunction with 4x60mm High Performance Fans, the cooling in this laptop is ideal and world class. 

Even though this idea is not 100% final, we are certain that even in the final product, this solution is more than ideal for the laptops needs.